Engine & Gearbox Accidently filled diesel with unleaded petrol

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by crazybullet, Monday 1st Apr, 2013.

1. crazybullet Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Hi Gurus!

I've made a terrible mistake and filled my diesel Accord with unleaded petrol (~ 60% diesel to ~40% petrol). I drove the car about 50-60 miles and found it out only when the car started to lose the torque.

Does anybody faced to such an experience before? Should I expect the worse scenario?

thnx for any reply!

2. AccordEZJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Get the tank drained and the fuel filter changed and hopefully you should be alright!

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Best thing to do would be to have the whole tank pumped dry then fillup with diesel.

No point risking any damage being done to your engine.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not to be critical to the OP, but it stuns me to no end when people mis-fuel...speechless.

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just keep topping up with diesel, it will dilute the petrol, cheaper than having the tank drained, as long as you take it easy, it should be ok.

You'd think diesel owners would know they're at the wrong pump.....no lorries, tractors or skinflint misers there:Tongue:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Dangerous tactic dude, modern diesels do not like petrol, it acts as a solvent, it can do untold damage to seals, injectors, pumps etc

In this case it is heavily diluted with the diesel but personally I wouldn't risk it.

i-DSI and Ichiban like this.
  7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Could the OP put a litre of 2 stroke in the tank till the petrol has run through it, that should more than compensate for the lost lubrication caused by the petrol??

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I personally wouldn't risk it with that much petrol.
    Even if it costs a couple of hundred quid to drain tank, it's still cheaper than replacing the high pressure pump and £1200 for new injectors.

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Petrol simply distroys your high pressure fuel pump, even in low % it will damage the pump in some way so the lifetime will decrease anyhow.
    Only pumping the tank dry is not enough. If started up after filling with petrol, you must empty the whole fuel system (all hoses, filter, tubes, pumps,...).
    Putting 2-stroke in the tank is not a good idea. It's a non approved oil for (Honda) diesel engines (i'm pretty sure it's not safe for DPF).

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't see why removing the wrong fuel is such a big deal and the attempts to circumvent the removal.:Tea:

The bosch fuel system is notorious for failing when using the right fuel in used using petrol well just bring that closer to imminent failure.

Not to mention DPF failure and you waltz into a honda dealer with faults and they find a small percentage of petrol they will soon be saying dear customer would you like to pay for this.

Remove all traces of petrol fuel , but I reckon you may have driven the car already.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can't stress how finicky the Honda diesel is they can't operate to such tolerances and wrong fuel is wrong fuel.

you wonder why diesel owners have so many issues?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Carzybullet, what did you do in the end ?

13. crazybullet Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    The thing is I fueled petrol almost the half of the tank that a bit dangerous I think for the engine. Today I'm going to drain the fuel, change the filter and we'll see. Hope everything will be OK

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    keep us posted buddy you may want to look at a misfuelling prevention device.

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Putting 2 stroke in diesel has lot of benefits. The added lubrication reduces wear on the fuel pump and injectors. Not to mention the cleaner burn it produces and the improvement in MPG. There are many reported benefits of doing it. I personally add 2 stroke to my diesel and it has produced a noticeable improvement, and my engine is very low mileage. In fact I haven't heard of any detrimental effects of doing this.

Your right that doing it isn't Honda approved, but then there's so much small print on warranties you would void it by changing the air filter yourself!

2 stroke can be used safely in cars fitted with a DPF filter but the grade has to be minimum JASO FD or equivalent.

But given the quantity of petrol the OP has put in the tank I would agree with Ichiban that in this case the safest course of action would be to drain the tank and replace the fuel filter then start from fresh.

16. crazybullet Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Short update

Today I've spoken with a serviceman and he said that the fuel sender unit has to be replaced. The rest parts of the fuel system and engine look OK. This sender unit was purchased via Main Dealer and it comes from Belgium which we'll get Monday.

17. crazybullet Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Mates, good news! My car was fixed, "health check" didn't identify any problem.
    In terms of money I spent ~260 including VAT:
    25 transportation
    25 diesel
    100 flat charge (fuel drain, filter replacement and etc)
    70 fuel sender unit

Cheers!

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Fantastic news. Not "too" expensive to sort out in the end.

19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just don't do it again!!! :telloff:

20. crazybullet Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Definitely I won't :lol: