Daily Driver Accord 1.8 Sport

6th Generation (1997-2002) vehicle added by Superman001, Thursday 3rd Apr, 2014

1. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Superman001 added a new Honda to the garage:

Accord

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

topped up the oil yesterday and used some fuel treatment/injector cleaner and ordered a new k&n panel filter and some new magnecor ht leads.

SpeedyGee and DeviateDefiant like this.
  3. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

had a delivery this week.

20140412_134417. 20140412_134249.

Ichiban, DeviateDefiant and AndyB1976 like this.
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Stick us up some pictures on install :Smile:

5. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

i will as soon as i can, down plymouth working again for 2 weeks so as soon as they are fitted i'll get a picture.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Love shiny new bits better if they are genuine Honda parts but that me .

7. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

normally i would only use OEM but certain parts are better made by an aftermarket manufacturer especially the ht leads, the handmade magnecor leads are second to none and they are made from far superior materials.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The amount of 6th Gens sitting on the road, 6 figure miles sitting on them from genuine parts - I would seriously dispute that the parts are higher quality from aftermarket manufacturers in general. It's Honda's quality parts which gives them their stellar life and reliability.

Sure I can agree with someone putting a lot of time and thought into HT Leads and making a solid product, and that's the case with a lot of things, but I wouldn't knock the genuine products because of it. Most "uprated" panel filters for example provide less resistance and theoretical gain simply because they don't filter the air as well letting larger particles through. There's a simple physics behind all parts, and the difference in design between manufacturers tends to be choosing a different balance between performance and effectiveness/reliability.

It depends on your build, and what you intend to do to the car, but I'm just sticking up for genuine parts - after all, they're what makes a Honda, a Honda.

9. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

there is nothing wrong with genuine parts i agree but there are a lot of parts that make a honda a honda that arn't even made by honda such as the ht leads.

oil filters are a good example, just because an oil filter comes from a honda dealership and has a honda stamp on the box doesn't make it better than an aftermarket part and won't make your car any less of a honda. an oil filter from a honda dealership could have been made by fram, honeywell or toyo roki.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Inside Apple phones/tablets is a Samsung manufactured processor, Sharp screens, Marvell Wi-FI controller, Broadcom semi-conductors etc. Who provided the specifications? Apple. Foxconn/Pegatron then put the bits together too. Likewise Macs use Intel processors, Samsung RAM etc.

There's about 4-5 main manufacturers for the panels used in 95% of all TVs/Monitors/Screens across the world, 4 for traditional hard-drives, 2 for desktop CPUs, 3 for server CPUs, 4 for mobile APUs/CPUs etc, They all go into tens of thousands of different brand name products.

Honda doesn't own thousands of factories producing every single part, neither does any other manufacturer in the car industry or large scale manufacturing for consumer products in general.

The Honda stamp certifies it's their design, R&D and was manufactured to to the specs they provided, and then in turn passed their stringent quality control. My point is parts designed and tested by Honda is what gives them the best overall reliability for any car manufacturer in the world (disputable). I'm not trying to have a go, just saying - claiming aftermarket parts are superior quality doesn't hold true most of the time. There's 3 terrible aftermarket parts choices for every good one, at the least.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There are some people who would pay nearly double for some parts because they got them from a dealer and they have a Honda stamp, if I bought the same part made by the same manufacturer online for half the price it doesn't make my part less genuine just because it doesn't have a dealer stamp.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Couldn't agree more, If the parts are like for like and of the same design that's a no brainer - to me they're still genuine parts. Spark Plugs are often that way, exact same part with different packaging.

I was getting at different manufacturers altogether, or when Bosch makes a product for Honda to their specs, then also sells a cheaper generic version too - I'd be sure to buy the proper Honda part unless I was convinced they were of the same quality.

13. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The NGK plugs I ordered for tomorrow's service were £3.19 online, I'm not sure whether Bosch or NGK are preferred but there was no way I was ordering from a dealer.

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Definitely NGK plugs, without a doubt so good choice.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Neither do I with plugs, same part regardless. My Iridiums were about £60 from the dealer and £31 online.

16. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

£29 is a big difference for just 4 plugs!

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah man for sure, it's less with club discount and free shipping and the £31 + didn't include postage, but yeah still going to be at least 50% extra. My NGK plugs were a steal from eBay.

18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

19. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

its worrying that any company would make fake ngk plugs considering genuine plugs only cost £3.19 and i still find it hard to believe they make much money on them in the first place.

i ordered mine from carparts4less as they tend to be cheaper than eurocarparts and often have promo codes to use.

20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think it'll be more of an issue with Iridium plugs. Or they may just sell reject plugs which are worthless anyway so something is better than nothing.

DeviateDefiant likes this.