General Accord 2.2 CDTI Head Gasket blow up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G1nganinja, Saturday 21st Apr, 2012.

1. G1nganinja Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

As per title, our beloved Accord 2.2 CDTI (05 plate) started developing some funny noises and smells a few months back after the wife filled her full of petrol, then more recently the smell in the cabin got worse and worse....so she took it for MOT and service at Kwik Fit (don't ask me why) and they advised that a couple of the injectors were ceased.... so she took it to Universal Motors in Horndean (recommended by a friend who is also an Accord owner) and after a few days the guys couldn't get the 3!!!! ceased injectors unfrozen, and basically said they couldn't delimnit where the stink was coming from but that in their opinion something was about to go majorly wrong with it and we should get rid of it ASAP.
    So today we pootled out to look for a new car, and 4 miles later were waiting for the rescue recovery people!
    We had literally done 4 miles dropped our daughter off at train station and i came back to car to find that it had smoke billowing from the engine and wife not looking happy!
    So recovery men turn up and say immediately that based on stench and the fuel and oil pissing out of engine covers that they suspect head gasket had gone, which was something that Universal had said might be on the way out a couple of days ago.
    So here is the quandry for us, the car isnt worth taht much as it has high mileage, but apart from teh engine issue (sooooo minor - NOT!) it is pristine and the wife loves it to pieces as she did with the previous 2.4 petrol edition we had.
    it is going to cost a pretty packet to have the head gasket sorted no doubt and that still leaves the issue of the ceased injectors...
    We are in 2 minds - as cash is VERY tight right now - whether to

• bite the bullet and bin it for as much as we can get in current condition
    • have head gasket repaired at Universal
    • buy a second hand engine lump and have that fitted....
    • or or or or...........suggestions please!

So thats the story as far it stands now, we (i) would welcome any and all suggestions you can make on what we should do now.

Many thanks in advance.

G1

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi and welcome to AOC.

I can only say what I would do as there is no book containing correct answers to these things...but if it was me personally bearing in mind it is an 05/pre-facelift, the high mileage, and who knows what other damage the misfuel might have done...

Option 1.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Really sorry to hear of your problems with the car.
    If it was my car i would go for option 1.

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd get rid of it too, by the time you pay for the head gasket doing and probably have to replace 3 injectors and then as its a pre facelift you might as well get timing chains done to be safe whilst its in bits it would cost you a small fortune.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the rest of the car is mechanically fine, depending on cost a second hand engine is a possibility. Maybe ask your garage how much to install a second hand lump.
    If the cost of repair is higher than the value of the car it isn't worth it.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear about your problems. I would go with option 1. You could get it repaired but then the high pressure fuel pump may go with having had petrol in it. So many hidden things could be waiting to go. Sorry.

7. G1nganinja Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys, will see what garage says Monday, but it's either a bin job or possibly a refurb lump methinks!

8. G1nganinja Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paul, thanks for this - beeing engine illiterate - if we were to get a decently priced refurb lump, would that by de facto replace the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors which are ceased, or are those parts completely seperate from the main lump itself?

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What would you take for it?

10. G1nganinja Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Frankie, will get back to you this once we have final report on extent of damage from garage tomorrow.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    G1 what ever happened in the end which path did you take after the garage report?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    G1 You still around chap? would like to know what happened in the end?