Pre-Facelift Model Accord 2.2 i-DTEC EX GT Saloon - spec question ADVICE NEEDED

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Forbes Maginnis, Monday 28th Jan, 2013.

1. Forbes Maginnis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there

I have been looking at a Honda Accord 2.2 I-DTEC EX GT Saloon at Arnold Clark Grangemouth. I have never owned a 'new' Accord before (but had an 02 plate years ago!) and have a number of questions... actually loads... hope that's ok!

(1) The car is a 59 plate with 30k approximately and is immaculate, priced £13,990 - think that's a good price?
    (2) The website says it has "Active Cruise Control", does this mean it has the ADAS/ LKAS system?
    (3) Do all Accord EX GT's have ADAS/ LKAS fitted on them as standard?
    (4) Are there 'specific' options that I should look for? This one seems to have quite a bit (heated seats, dual zone CC, Sat Nav, MP3/ 6 CD etc)
    (5) The dash has a 'folders' button - does it have a 'hard drive'?

I've got a million other queries but don't want to overload on my first post - that would be most rude! If someone would have the time to have a wee reply, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank You
    Forbes :Grin:

2. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi and welcome,

have a look on Honda (UK) at the accord section, will answer most of your questions.

Folders button is for browsing mp3 folders on usb stick or iPhone/ iPod, no hard drive. Plug in a 20gb usb stick, does the same job.

only get a diesel if you do the mileage.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Forbes

Good to have you join. Do you have a URL to the said car?

1 - Depends on how many owners it has had as well.
    2 - Possibly - but ADAS is an option so unless there is a pic of the car, it won't be easy to tell from your post.
    3 - No, ADAS is a factory fit-only option and cannot be retrofitted
    4 - EX GTs have a fair bit of kit yes ( Honda Accord Saloon | Book Test Drive | Specification, Finance & Information )
    5 - "Folders" is for you USB/media device so you can scroll through the folders you have.

Feel free to fire away any other q's you have.

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The EX GT has more kit than the ES GT and according to the book from Honda the EX GT has the upgraded stereo as standard that includes the subwoofer. There was an option to have the ADAS version which cost £26.660 OTR the non ADAS was £24.910. Youl also get Xeneon lights and sports pedals on the GT and red Dials and LEDs

Before buying any accord check the speakers as in most cases some have blown. Just set volume to 12 and pan through the speakers left, right, front, rear etc The bass will distort if they have blown.

You can't change the grill if it has ADAS. Just bear that in mind if you wanted a sports grill fitted later on.

As with all diesels, you get good MPG on a run but round town they're crap. It sounds silly but some people just don't realize this.

I have an EX GT I-DTEC so if you have any other questions I'll try to help :Smile:

5. Forbes Maginnis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there Richsprint. Thanks for your reply also - thank you, I'll have a look and see what information I can get from it. To be totally honest I've never really considered an Accord, and was on the verge of buying an E280 CDI merc or a SAAB 9-5 TTid and kinda went off them, for no real reason... but really like the Honda. Found an EX £1500 cheaper than an EXGT - Is it worth going the extra cash, the GT certainly looks better I think... In terms of fuel.. I am a diesel man I'm afraid, wouldn't consider petrol

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/honda/accord/2.2-i-dtec-ex-gt-4dr/2009-(59)/ref/arneu-4993/

Hi 'Dark Knight' - the URL for the car is above. Thanks for what was a very comprehensive reply! What is the difference (you'll wish you never offered now), between the Active Cruise Control, Adaptive Cruise Control, and the whole ADAS/ LKAS combi thing! If, when you look at this picture, if it is has not got the ADAS/ LKAS thing, is it worth 'seeking one' that has? Or is it not that needed as an option - I am a huge cruise control fan, and so adaptive interests me, but the other bits... don't know what they are like, real world?

What is the MPG like in the I-DTEC. I have a 70 mile daily commute on, generally steady speed, back roads - kind of extra urban with some overtaking! Don't tend to town hop too much

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The EX has Full leather seats and a sunroof I believe. Honda do offer a sports body Kit that could easily be added too though your insurance may go up. I would go for the GT over an EX but thats just because I am a young cool dude and my car reflects that :Whistle: Plus Id reck the full leather seats in the EX.:Foolish:

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the link.

Sad to say but that car does NOT have the ADAS system. The two ways to identify this is by the radar in the "H" badge and the camera in the upper windscreen - neither of which are in the images of that car. It will have cruise control, but it will not be adaptive cruise control like on an ADAS-equipped car. Its up to you if you want an ADAS-equipped car - those that do not have it don't know what they are missing. I have it on mine and I know that I would definitely miss it if it wasnt on my next Accord.

As for MPG, I usually get 70mpg-plus on long runs and about 40-50mpg on local stop-start runs. It all depends on driving style to be honest. I reckon you'll be just fine. I swear by the I-DTEC engine and have never had any issues at all.

8. Forbes Maginnis Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

[.

Sad to say but that car does NOT have the ADAS system. The two ways to identify this is by the radar in the "H" badge and the camera in the upper windscreen - neither of which are in the images of that car. It will have cruise control, but it will not be adaptive cruise control ...

Thanks for that, that is really helpful. The interesting thing is that the Arnold Clark website states 'Adaptive Cruise Control', is that a mistake then? From what you said, I guess it can't have adaptive cruise without the other 'techno bits'. As I have never had ADAS before, is it worth not buying it on this basis, I suppose the question is... do you think that for the age/ spec/ mileage etc, it is a 'good buy'?

and
    As for MPG, I usually get 70mpg-plus on long runs and about 40-50mpg on local stop-start runs. It all depends on driving style to be honest. I reckon you'll be just fine. I swear by the I-DTEC engine and have never had any issues at all.[/QUOTE]

Wow, 70 MPG plus that's pretty impressive! Is that doing a steady 60 MPH or something or is that "normal" motorway driving (70/80) kind of speed - that is really interesting. I have a Skoda Superb at the moment and am returning 45 - 55 pretty much all the time, and that's great. Is there anything else, aside from ADAS I should look out for on an EX GT which seems to be the one I like most (apart from the Type-S but they're crazy expensive!)

Thanks
    Forbes

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes thats a mistake by Arnold Clark - they probably added it to Jazz up the advert.

Not really my place to suggest one way or another to buy an ADAS-equipped car. Mine had it on there when I bought it - pure chance, I wasnt looking for it. Its fairly priced yes, especially the low mileage taken into account as well.

My MPG is mostly motorway speeds, depending on traffic etc so its variable, but more often than not, I see 50-65mpg depending on how hard I plant my right foot. Not a fat lot else to look out for beyond the speakers which Racy Jace mentioned earlier. The car is bombproof.

10. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it's only fair to point out to the OP here that The Dark Knight's mileage is NOT the norm. No one else on this board can get the sort of MPG that he can.
    I think that 50-55mpg is easily achievable based on what I have read on this forum, if you buy the car hoping for 70mpg, you will be disappointed.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agreed.

Even so, 50-55mpg from a 2.2 engine is very commendable. Everyone's driving style is different and that too, by default will have an impact on eventual real-world MPG.

jaytip likes this.
  12. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Agreed,i'm not getting it out of mine,but i know it is achievable by board users figures,and my previous Accord.
    I am going to take mine for a good motorway run soon (100 miles or so) just to see what it can return me an a good run.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Please do report back when you do so - I have a sneaky feeling that you'll be pleasantly surprised, especially as yours is the higher powered Type-S as well. :Thumbup:

14. mickthesaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got ADAS on mine as well, though I rarely use it,I looked for a ADAS car because I wanted the std xenons.
    That car looks like its got xenons as it has the washers on it.Id sooner have xenons to ADAS but everyones different.

15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If your not trading in a car you you should be able to get the Accord for around 13k. There is always a massive mark up so try to negotiate. Coming from Christmas, sales are slow in general right now so you should be able to get a good deal.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if this helps. As a price comparison you could try looking here.

http://www.blackhorsecarsales.co.uk/used-cars/search/(11;36;0;0;0;0;0,50000)

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

EX GT's came with Xenons as standard like the Type-S. ADAS equipped cars (EX, EX GT & Type-S) also got Xenons.