Engine & Gearbox accord 2.4 2004 oil quantity more than 4.2 litres???

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Monday 1st Apr, 2013.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys
    My hand book for my 2004 2.4 tourer states oil change with filter needs 4.2litres of oil.
    So I did an oil change and added the exact amount. checked the dipstick after 15mins and it was barely on the minimum mark. (after running engine) I did change the filter (genuine honda).
    i have checked and rechecked this even taking the car to a flatter location thinking the slight hill I am on could have an affect. Still on min mark. So I added more oil to a quantity of 4.9 litres now and its bang on the mark???

is my handbook wrong or do I ahve a large oil sump optional extra?? I know the possible problems of over filling so was quite nervous of this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Tony

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Tony,

how long was the oil drained for before you put the sump bolt back on?, and was the car jacked from the front with the rear wheel on the ground?

I take the ground is perfectly level and you took measurements after 15 minutes after the engine was stopped?

3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Don't think mine was much more than 4.2l. I'll check what I have left tomorrow.

4. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi, yes car was jacked from front and oil was left to drain for quite some time. Reason being the previous Honda dealer had done the oil filter up so tight I burst a few blood vessels getting it off using various tools so it was draining all that time. I live on a hill which helped drain the oil as gravity as was on my side.but I checked it on level ground, Asda car park to be honest after I had run the engine and done some shopping. any ideas. Did castrol sell me a short measure?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right this is normal for the engine to take that amount of oil .. If the car is jacked up fronted the front it makes it ideal for all the engine oil to be drained out of the engine the longer you leave it the more come out due to the location of the drain bolt.

At Honda dealers the car is on a four post list and is level to the ground and they close the drain bolt soon as the flow is next to nothing. As it level I not ideal for all the oil to leave the engine so 4.2 is achievable.

4.9 is way too much 4.5 should have done it , please take proper measurement on a level ground. If you have overfilled it YOU NEED to remove it . Excessive oil will cause damage to the engine.

6. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Hi guys. I think its normal if you had to fill in 4.9 litres. Short story from my own experience: once I had to repair an oil sump on my previous Mitsubishi Galant. The car was left to stand with sump taken off 24 hours at my friends garage, making all the oil fully to drain. After that, instead of 4.3 litres during normal change, we had to fill in about 5.8 litres to get it on a max level! I remember that was really so strange for me..

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys. right, checked again this morning on level ground. Its definitely right, in fact I could probably add another 100ml to get it on the little top mark hole in the dipstick. Its not overfull. I am going to keep a close eye on it checking at every occasion. it is strange to me also. My previous Civic 1.8vti always took 3.8 litres spot on. this is my first accord so I am still getting used to things.

Thanks
    Tony

8. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I've got just over 400ml left according to the markings on the Honda bottle so that would say around 4.6l went in.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That sounds more like it, can imagine the oil filter taking up 300-400ml.

10. johnny 5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did mine at the weekend (2.4) and it took around 4.5litres, but that took me bang upto the max mark after running the engine to allow for the oil filter to fill. So I would guess it sounds about right if u had ur car jacked up at the front on a hill! I didnt jack mine that high as this car is bloody heavy compared to my old EG/EK Civics and i get scared jacking it up too high lol As long as the reading is correct then you should be safe. Make sure you check on level ground, as in when you have the handbrake down and push the car, it stops rolling pretty quickly rather than keeps on rolling (in both directions) :Wink:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I prime the oil filter before I put them on anyway and in my experience 180ml gets them fully saturated (room temprature) if the oil was hotter it would hold slightly more. can't see it holding more than 200ml.