Engine & Gearbox accord 2.4 2004 water pump, quick question

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Sunday 14th Apr, 2013.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

Just a quick question. When would you guys recommend the water pump to be changed on the 2.4 petrol cars? Our other car is an audi and they recommend a water pump change with every cambelt change at about 60K miles (its driven from the cambelt). Audi use a plastic impeller on their pumps which is terrible and breaks up with time. I know these Honda cars are chain driven so guess the water pump is driven from the aux belt. So do they need to be changed or is it just a case of when it breaks? LOL

Thanks!
    Tony

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Tony, water pump is external on the K series engines and is driven by the aux belt as you suspected. Only needs to be changed if it has developed a fault (which is pretty unlikely).

No naff German engineering here buddy :Wink:

Nighthawk and Ichiban like this.
  3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know its not on a 2.4 but on my old 1.8 VTI-S Civic the water pump was changed (at same time as cam belt) at 150k miles due to me being paranoid that it might pack up and when we took it out it was like new so I wouldn't waste your money.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    7th and 8th Generation water pump is driven by the ancillary serpentine belt and it is bullet proof.

However it did fail on my 2.0 tourer but after a replacement it was fine, i have not heard another 7th Generation petrol owners to complain of a premature failure.

So no need to worry fella.

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks Chaps, great info as usual!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its a Honda this is standard no riff raff engineering allowed!

Superman001 likes this.
  7. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Talking about swrpentine belts. Does anyone know if there's a decent guide to do the job (belt replacement) yourself. Also, theres some mention of replacing with a shorter belt?? Is this the case with the petrols too or just for the diesel models??

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The shorter belt only applies for the diesels.

I'll have a look through the guides see if we have anything on the serpentine belt. If not then Im sure we can come with a brief description for you. It's not difficult to do at all.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ah here you go @DeviateDefiant has done a guide on the belt Alternator & Serpentine Belt Replacement (Petrol)

9. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that. As always. Speedy respinse by yourself fella. Looks as though it is an alternator problem as the lights dim whilst driving but after a few hours parked up it seems as though the car starts with brother lights. Will have a check with the mutimeter though once i borrow it from my dads...

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Worth checking your earths as well @redefined_cycles, there's the main battery earth, one by the left engine mount, one by the gearbox mount, and also two under the intake manifold cover IIRC. @SpeedyGee, did I miss any?