Standalone Projects Accord 2.4 LPG installation questions

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by JuiZZZe, Friday 1st Aug, 2014.

1. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    Hi Everyone, especially Guru Speedy :Hey:

I would like to say thank you for so detailed information about installing LPG conversion to CL9 and if I was from the UK you would be the first to whom I come to install it :Drinks:, but unfortunately I am not from there

I have a couple of questions to you and I hope you will help me. I have Accord 2,4l (CL9) 2006 MY and its mileage is almost 142K - on petrol, and I am going to use LPG conversion, so is it ok to install and use LPG now or it is better to forget about this project? is any restriction for so big mileage for LPG conversion installation?
    and another issue is flashlube system installation - I have heard that it has bad influence for some sensors (oxygen, LAF, etc), could you pls comment such rumors.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Big Boss @SpeedyGee , your expertise is needed. :boss:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to the forum Alex and thanks for the kind words.

The main question is how long would you be looking to keep your car ? If its going to be a good few years then converting a high mileage car is not a problem. Prerequisite is that engine and indeed the rest of the car is all in good working order with no issues. There is no restriction on engine mileage as long as engine has good compression, pulls strongs, doesn't burn oil etc.
    I've converted a car for someone which had already done 200K miles. Owner felt that it had many more miles left in it.

Flashlube has no impact on any sensors whatsoever on the car, what you have heard are simply unscientific rumours.

I'm not sure how much an LPG conversion costs in Ukraine but what I would do if I were you is work out how much you would save in fuel costs every month. From that work out how long it will take you to break even and then see how long you will be keeping your car.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited: Friday 1st Aug, 2014
    JuiZZZe, DeviateDefiant and Nels like this.
  4. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    @SpeedyGee
    thank you for explanation and sorry for for long quite - I was waiting for e-mail notification of reply and that was my mistake...

according to my approximate calculation I will have break even after 10-12 months (something about 12K miles) and the main question as you mentioned how long I would keep the car :Unknown: I am going to think about it later... and for the moment I want to understand for myself all process of correct installation and hidden issues of LPG to avoid some serviceman who works like you shown on Avensis :Foolish:

concerning flashlube, in Ukraine it is not common use and not popular, instead we use Timing Advance (CVT timing ignition) - hard to translate technical terms - earlier ignition for LPG in comparison with petrol - idea is to flash LPG earlier and make it burn before it goes to valves and warm them, I hope it is correct explanation in English :Messed:.

concerning LPG system, I have 2 options (the best in Ukraine from my point of view):
    Prins VSI 2 GOLD Line 1500 USD
    BRC Plug&Drive 1200 USD

each option incl. 3 year or 120K miles warranty period

as I am a little bit tight with money I think to choose second options, but I will be glad to hear your opinion or even maybe proposal of LPG system?

from your experience, could you pls advice period (mileage) for valves regulation after LPG conversion installed?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've been checking my valve clearances roughly every 24K, I do 6000 mile oil services, so after every 4 changes (which for me would be once a year) I check the valve clearances.

Personally I think Prins and BRC are over rated and over priced. Yes they both use good quality injectors and good quality reducers no doubts there but other companies can match that quality now for much less costs. Also Prins and BRC have not updated their firmware or software for many many years now, their product line up has not been revamped. Whilst other companies have been progressing rapidly.

I've said it before on this site, that more important than choosing a good system is choosing a good installer. A top notch BRC or Prins system can be installed badly by an incompetent installer, at the sametime a budget system can be installed and setup perfectly by a good installer.

So if I were you I would be looking for an installer that has a top notch reputation and then seek their advice as to what system they advice for your car.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

By the way if you are not seeing email notifications, check your notification settings and make you haven't accidentally clicked on "Unwatch Thread"

7. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    I totally agree with you and I think the same.

concerning BRC and Prins - in Ukraine there is their official workshop that is why I have stayed with them, but again if propose another system, which you used during this installation I will try to find components here and I have some good installers advised by my friends.

what is your opinion about CVT timing ignition which is used instead of flashlube?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've got doubts about timing advance option. Flashlube is much better option. My own engine has done 100K on LPG with flashlube system installed.

If you're getting good feedback from friends that have used local LPG agents then that's fair enough go with their recommendation. I install a number of different systems Agis, King, LPGTECH, OMVL etc. They are all good, the main choice is what reducer and what injectors to go for. Your local installer will tell you what options you have if you go with that installer.

JuiZZZe likes this.
  9. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    thank you a lot for advice, I will come back with more questions later... :Smile:

almost all local installers advice tomasetto or lovato, but I am a little bit confused with their quality

another question is it possible to show picture with LPG Vaporizer on Accord, I am interested about place where it is installed?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Location is basically anywhere you can find space for it, as long as it is sat lower than the highest point of radiator.

On the Accord I normally put them in the area just underneath the throttle cable sensor.

JuiZZZe likes this.
  11. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    hi again
    finally my Accord has LPG :Drinks:
    it is really great - especially price per mile ;-)

one more question - I understand that the shorter pipe between nozzles and injectors, but what is the min length?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There's no minimum length.

Can you post some pictures of your installation?

13. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    sorry for misunderstanding, I meant what is possible max length?:Blushing:

I was going to ask your permission for posting pictures:blush: , as soon as I make I will post them:Drinks:

as I understand, the biggest interest here is installed injectors, correct?

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Let me split this discussion into it's own thread.

Max length, personally I would try and keep under 4" (10cm) but absolute max of about 6" if you have strong injectors.

Post overall pics of the install and some showing injectors, also reducer placement.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Moved your questions in to their own thread @JuiZZZe

15. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    this is my first post with pictures and explanation, sorry if something is wrong :blush:
    4026821_f3ff46f6. 4026822_ffef2f8b. 4026823_26e3a946. 4026824_70c66148. 4026825_0c4779eb. 4026826_6774af19. 4026827_0be4c307. 4026828_3524319f. 4026829_0f4c8370. 4026830_22d05e7a.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I could not edit my post :Frown:

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    No offence @JuiZZZe, but that's one of the messiest Accord LPG installs I've seen :Messed: Why not just install injectors from the underside of the intake manifold so you can utilise the stock manifold cover and everything looks neat?

EDIT: Excuse the way that reads, I didn't mean it to sound so antagonistic :Blushing:

When you hit 25 posts you can edit them :Smile:

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Alex, I'll drop you my thoughts on the install later on today.
    - - - Updated - - -
    BTW do you have any higher resolution pictures you can post instead ? Those are really small in size

18. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    I was also surprised, but the idea was to make pipe length as short as possible.

what do you think about other components installation?
    - - - Updated - - -
    ok - I will be waiting for comments, thank you
    - - - Updated - - -
    yes, I have them, pls advice good picture hosting service

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm no expert on LPG installs at all, though the cable sleeving and tieing looks a bit on the messy side - of course we're just talking aesthetics here and not how the components will actually function, I'm sure that will be just fine. Would be easier to see if the photos were larger :Smile:

Just use the "Add Photos & Files" button, you can upload large high resolution pictures directly to the site with no problem.

20. JuiZZZe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex
    it asks URL of images, not folders :Messed:
    - - - Updated - - -
    ups ... I have to use full respond form :agree:

IMG_5768.JPG IMG_5769.JPG IMG_5772.JPG IMG_5773.JPG IMG_5774.JPG IMG_5775.JPG IMG_5776.JPG IMG_5777.JPG IMG_5778.JPG IMG_5779.JPG