Engine & Gearbox Accord 2.4 problems

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 20th Jun, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Well, here we go again with my dad.

He's struggling to get it in gear sometimes or finds it notchy, I'm not sure if it's just him but I'm at the point of saying sod it and putting myself on the insurance to test it myself. What I don't know though is could the gearbox be getting knackered because of his infuriating driving style?

He still tries to pull away in 2nd gear and often ends up in 4th by accident and stalling the car. When he does actually use 1st gear he barely gives it a thousand revs and ends up stalling it that way instead. He gave me a lift yesterday and despite only being a 10 minute journey he stalled it twice (the first time we ended up in the middle of the junction as he was trying desperately to ram it into 1st gear). I'm also wondering if he's sitting too far back and not depressing the clutch pedal far enough? He's also going uphill at 20mph in 4th gear :Pinch:

It's painful seeing my beautiful 7th Generation being abused. Could this constant stalling and labouring it be putting pressure on the gearbox?

Also, there's a very strong and defined squeak coming from the front left wheel as you go over bumps etc. I've not had a chance to look at it but any pointers?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    More likely that the clutch is suffering more so than the gearbox.

For the squeak, could be a number of things, most likely compliance bushes though.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I also can't remember if I did the gearbox oil on the Accord. If not then I'll start there. I think I'll just get him to stick it in the garage for the suspension, I'm sick to death of arms and bushes lol

Also managed to the get paint off the side card.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is that generation of drivers ?
    My father frequently changes up far too early.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    He's obsessed with saving fuel at the moment and even drives without A/C in this heat. Crazy! I'd rather drive in a style I enjoy and be comfortable in the car than worry about a few pence of petrol all the time. He will also end up with a big clutch bill if he doesn't sort out his driving habit. Mind you, at least I'll get that release bearing noise sorted! lol Haven't heard it for a while, could be due to the hot weather though?

Checked out the gearbox earlier, it's absolutely fine. I did a test by depressing the clutch pedal almost all the way in but not fully and it struggled to engage 1st gear. So basically he's sitting too far back, in fact I think he's got his leg at full stretch when pressing it. Just the suspension to do now.

My brother's Civic had to go into the garage today, warning lights coming up. Turns out the Coolant Temperature Sensor required replacing and surprising also the wiring loom as it was all corroded. Very shocked at this.

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Much as @SpeedyGee has said, your description of his driving would lead me to believe the clutch is on its last legs.

My wifes entire family have this infuriating habit of holding a car on a hill or at a junction on the clutch instead of just pulling the handbrake, slowly I have beaten it out of wifey, but even after explaining the repair costs to the rest, they continue to do this along with a whole host of other weird and wonderful driving techniques.

Just be thankful it isn't some VAG dual mass flywheel thing that will costs over £1k when it goes. Pulling away in second is not good for the car, working an engine that low down isn't good for the engine either.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I sat with a friend of mine recently and by gum I've never seen someone use so little revs to move a car. Setting off was just a succession of gear changes, I swear he'd hit 5th before the speed had reached 20mph or so. I kept quiet as you just can't change people's driving habits so easily.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    And to think that he was an engineer fixing Jaguar fighter bombers lol

10. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    My wifes mum and nan drive like that, happily taking a second gear corner in 4th or 5th, forgetting to change gear at a stop and attempting to pull away in 3rd, makes my fingers itch.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Oh my poor Accord... my parents were child minding for us yesterday and when I got home at lunch time I noticed lots of strange shadows on the N/S corner part of the rear bumper of the Accord which was parked outside. Walked up and wtf, touch up paint everywhere!

Not sure if you remember but I spent a fortune trying to re-spray this bumper but in the end as luck would have it a guy at work hit it with the road-sweeper and I got a new bumper provided. So now that perfect rear bumper is scuffed. Turns out my mum reversed into a parked car across from their driveway.

So, the front has been bashed by my dad
    The rear has been based by my mum
    The clutch, half-shafts and God knows what else is probably screwed because of my dad's labouring.

Oh my poor Accord.....it was once perfect.

[Cue sympathy]

12. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I think you'll have to fit front and rear parking sensors.

Or some dodgems bumpers.

Oh and an auto box for your dads gear choice issues.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The poor thing :shock:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Indeed :Blink: time to get the car sold whilst it has some value left matey and dad can get a cheaper run around banger,

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I reckon auto could be the way to go for him but he's dead set against them!

The engine and mechanics are sweet as can be with the car so I'd be so reluctant to sell her. Managed to get that paint off the door card without damaging it! :Smile: I suppose I could retro fit some parking sensors? Had to get a lift in to work this morning as my MPS is in the garage (again - thanks to the Isle of Lewis roads! lol) and boy was the drive in scary! He's much better with the gear selection now but he really needs to stop talking and start concentrating on the road more! lol

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Auto is the way forward, my father in law called in over the weekend to look at his Tourer which was exhibiting sudden loss of power. So I drove it for 30 minutes, up and down the gearbox at all rev ranges and it could not do it at all.Father-in-law jumps behind the wheel and I immediately spot the reason for the power loss , he was negotiating round-a-about at 12 Miles in third gear which is stall speed.:Ermm:

If it was a diesel then yeah but VTEC are not made for torque.

As you get elder you get lazier I suppose told him we need to get a auto for you now.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Tempted with an auto myself but just been driving a 2013 Mitsubishi Shogun today (the full size one) which is auto and I'm not all that keen on the delay when you stick your foot down to get across a junction quickly. I'm also much more conscious of going from Drive to Park all the time in traffic as I don't like keeping my foot on the brake.

I think manual is probably best for me and auto for him! lol

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ahhh you wouldn't get a delay from a Honda Auto :Smile:

I drove @Eltax91 Accord Tourer Auto and it was a real joy to drive. The throttle behaved impeccably and anytime I wanted it to downshift it do so promptly and anytime I wanted to tootal along economically it was quick to select an appropriate gear and not hang unnecessarily in a low gear.

My wifes EU8 (5 door 7th Generation Civic) is also an auto and that too is very good.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'll maybe have to test drive one

20. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I can confirm this, my 7th Generation auto is very responsive, I have full confidence when pulling out from a junction a bit quick.

Ichiban likes this.