Engine & Gearbox Accord 2002 2.0 cambelt and dash light

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by n3utr1n0, Thursday 10th Oct, 2013.

1. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    hi to all

I bought a honda accord couple weeks ago and I have a couple of questions... hope you guys can help me:Smile:

- need to change the cam belt... REALLY looking for a non expensive solution. I do not want to change the water pump , but I want to change all else. where should I go? should I buy the parts myself and just pay for the labour? or should I go to a dealer or a garage? I do not want to spend more than 200 at most on this.

- I have a light on the dashboard , looks like a orange light. I read on the book that it has something to do with the exhaust system or the catalytic converter. From what I understand from it s former owner , the light is on for the last 2 years. It does not affect the car running , I m just curious if I can fix it in any way... what could the problem be?

- also , is it hard or very hard to find out witch wheel bearing is broken or close to breaking point? I know from the sound on the highway that a bearing in the left side of the car is broken... i have no idea if it s the front one or the back one...

PS: will also make a page in the garage so you guys can see my new honda... btw , it s my second one :Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you buy the parts yourself at least you know what has been purchased and then you just need to find a good mechanic, ideally one that knows Hondas well.

You would need to have the OBD code read for the warning light, assuming its a check engine light. Technically speaking with the current MOT regs your car would fail an MOT due to this light being on.

For the wheel bearing noise, does your car have standard tyres/wheels fitted ? what is the tread like on the tyres. Wheel bearing noise isnt always down to bad wheel bearings, could also be suspension or tyre/wheel issue.

You could get the car jacked up, turn the wheels by hand and listen for a grating noise, this may help highlight a dodgy wheel bearing.

3. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    ok ... where to buy the timing belt kit? and how do I know I get the right one?

the check engine light is on but passed MOT in the past despite this issue.

the tires are new and I did not notice any problems with the suspension.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Hi

Tricky question on timing belt and cost. For me, its not an area I'd want to scrimp on for obvious reasons. Get a price from Holdcroft Honda for the parts then call any recommended garages if you are not going to go to the dealer. Timing belt interval is about 7 years so for me personally I'd just go with Honda.

Your dashlight is likely to be your engine management light. You can get an OBDII reader relatively cheaply or if you have an Android OS you can buy a bluetooth one for under £20 and download the Torque app and read it that way. Best getting it read as soon as because additional faults won't illuminate any more indicators, they'll just stack up behind the one warning light. Your ODBII port is in your passenger footwell, have a look just before you buy anything as some 6th gens don't have the port (2002 should have however)

IMG_0316r.

If you suspect a wheel bearing there are some vids on Youtube with suggestions on how to find a bad bearing. Cheap tyres often make more road noise so don't rule that out.

5. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK

I contacted Holdcroft for a quote on a timing belt kit without the water pump , I m waiting for their answer. Hopefully will not cost more than 100...
    I will get a obd2 reader , found one on amazon for 5 pounds or 6 , bluetooth....
    as for the wheel bearing , I dunno yet , will have that checked out...

- - - Updated - - -

QUESTION

how do i activate the headlights washer nozzles? what button do I push? or how do I test to see if it works?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On the 7th Generation the headlight washer come on once every 5 uses of the windscreen washers.

Not sure if the 6th Generation is the same.

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I remember calling Holdcroft honda for some prices when I changed my belt, tensioners, water pump etc. If I recall correctly you are looking at around double non OEM prices. If you have the money then go for genuine but I didn't so I ended up buying SKF timing belt kit along with continental belts and a circoli water pump. So far so good is all I can comment really.

8. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    i will have a mechanic check the belt and all else related. if the mechanic says I should change it , then I will later at some point.
    at the moment , my main concern is to find the problematic wheel bearing and change it and to find the faulty lambda sensor that is causing my check engine light to stay on.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you look towards the top of the forum you will find a sticky thread regarding the lambda sensor which will tell you where it is on your vehicle, plus it gives recommendations as to which brand to buy

10. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    the machanic replaced the lambda probe. got an denso branded one. it was 143 pounds. that s it.

new question:Smile:

I have the right rear wheel bearing damaged.... it makes a sound. my mechanic told me that he did not find JUST the bearing part to change and that he only found a part that includes the wheel bearing and the studs...

can I just change ONLY the wheel bearing? or do I need to buy it together with other crap that is already functional...?
    anybody knows where to look for the part?

also , what would be a reasonable price for a mechanic to charge for the labor?

11. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I think it is one component unless third party options are available, I'm sure I saw it discussed before somewhere. The front bearings are available however as you'll see if you look them up via Lings.

If you sign up to Lings you can browse for your car and then search for the parts

B__1910.

1PFKL581038BEARING ASSY., RR. HUB UNIT£165.00(€188.10)($264.00)002Add Wish

- - - Updated - - -

Meant to say, that info posted is specifically for my CG8 F18B2 yours maybe differ.

12. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    you are right... it comes together with studs...

will replace it but with non OEM part as the OEM part costs 140 pounds... found on ebay for 40 pounds... will buy one of those. don t want to spend 140 pounds again on a car worth 1000 pounds... so the 40 pound option is the winner :Smile:

will buy it at my next paycheck and will have the mechanic install it as well.

13. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    ok.... so I will fix the wheel bearing.... not a big deal , I found on ebay for 50 60 pounds...

but the thing is like this... found a lot of rust on the back of the trunk... where the plastic bolts hold the plastic bumper... I found one plastic bolt missing and I know now why... because it s only rust...
    I will have to go to a body works guy to see the extent of this problem...

It would really help me a picture of the car without the plastic bumper...

14. hughezee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart Staffordshire
    The light washers jets work when your lights are switched on when spraying the windows normally.

- - - Updated - - -

Shame its not better illustrated on the lings website, the rear bumper stiffeners can rust away very badly but they are only spot welded into place. I have replaced them with galvanized slotted steel or an alloy strip as they are not part of the main structure of the car.