Queries & Feedback Accord 2005 CL9 Saloon Rear Drop Links

Discussion in 'Holdcroft Honda' started by JamesS, Wednesday 29th Oct, 2014.

1. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    As above, just after a price inc postage. Need them for the weekend if possible?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Best thing to do is give them a call James. They should be able to get them to you by the weekend quite easily.

JamesS likes this.
  3. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Great stuff, will give them a call after 9. :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    They are around 40 quid a pop if memory serves. Just to give you a ball park figure.

5. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Ouch! If thats per side, then thats expensive. Really don't want to be spending that much cash just on drop links. Been playing with the idea of making my own using proper ball joints. Might have a look at that instead.

6. Nighthawk Guest

Seeing that they are a vital part of your suspension which undergo a lot of stress and play a really important role into the safety and stability of your car, I would seriously consider not trying to skimp. My OEM ones last more than 90k and I only replaced them as part of my summer service. You can also get makes like Lemforder, Blue Print or Delphi which are OEM quality.

Lemforder are OEM for BMW suspension parts and Delphi are OEM for jap cars I believe. Any of these options would be better than trying to make your own in my opinion.

So thats not a bad price considering what they do...

EDIT - Lemforder ones - same as I fitted, around 25 quid each. Best Auto Parts Store: cheap Car Parts buy direct online, Car Spares Shop

JamesS likes this.
  7. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Completely agree @Nighthawk :Smile: can't put a price on safety. But the drop link is a very simple bit of kit, its just transferring load onto the anti-roll bar itself. As long as the dimensions and degrees of movement don't differ from OEM then there would be no issue in making some up with higher quality components. Sure OEM ones should last for 90k, but they are far from ideal to do and undo on a regular basis. As I upgrade new parts, and service parts I don't want to be paying for new drop links every time! :Smile:

8. Nighthawk Guest

I understand your point however, respectfully, I would urge you to reconsider. There is a larger picture involved here as well, for example, should you have a car accident, even if its not your fault, and someone is seriously injured, your car would be mechanically scrutinised. If they could ascertain that any suspension modifications did not meet the governmental requirements, then you could find yourself in seriously hot water, especially if it is deemed that appropriate quality parts could have avoided the incident. You would also likely void your car insurance as well. As I am sure you know, you have to tell them everything, such as any suspension mods, as they need to be able to cover you for it. If you told them that you have made your own suspension parts, I think you would struggle.

Its up to you of course, but I think it would be irresponsible as a responsible club to not encourage the use of proper suspension components due to their importance and the bigger picture should anything ever go wrong.

On a side note however, I would be curious about your design.

Chunkylover53 and JamesS like this.
  9. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Hmm.....Yeah I see your point. Hadn't thought about that side of it. :Smile: Would have defo declared it to insurance company though, most of the time they have just asked if changes have been made, and it was a simple yes or no box, they didn't want any details.

Will get some bought.

But going to do some research on the point you raised about self made parts, just really to see how it stands with small business's starting out.

10. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Found some Lemforder £15 a corner. So ordered them for delivery tomorrow from Euro Car Parts. :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

much safer option mate, look forward to see how you get on with changing them. Good luck

JamesS likes this.
  12. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Changing them is easy mate, also ordered a new low level trolley jack and wheel wedges. Should make fitting the coilovers a lot easier. Also hoping to get some upper camber arms, just need to shift my old wheels. :Smile:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Which Trolley Jack did you go for James ?

14. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    found one on ebay for £40, will have a look and see what the quality is like, if its crap will send it back! :Smile:
    I don't use it often enough to warrant spending a fortune on one. Got some axel stands already, so will only use it for the actual lift.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Costco used to sell Arcan jacks nearly everyone here has one them , I've just checked Costco's site they don't sell them anymore.

@SpeedyGee is this a clone of the arcan jack to me it is

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yeah, looks a similar design, although this one is only rated at 1.25 tonnes

17. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its looks pretty good actually give us your review when you get it.

19. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Certainly will :Smile: I'm a sucker for a bargain,

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That certainly seems like a bargain, definitely keep us posted as I still need a decent jack too!