Accord/7th Gen Accord 2006 K24A3 engine whine

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by toejam119, Wednesday 20th Jul, 2016.

1. toejam119 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    I tried searching engine noise and whines but only could find that Diesel thread about similar whine. Listened the videos and it's a bit different and louder in the diesel videos.

I noticed Ichiban has Tourer with the same engine, maybe he can tell if he has the same noise? If this is a normal sound?

Here's a video sample of the whine:

About 180 000 kilometers (~112 000 miles) on it. Honda Accord 2006 Type-S K24A3 i-VTEC.
    The whine is constant, always on regardless of engine temperature, the whine follows RPM. You can hear it at all engine RPMs, maybe louder above 2000 RPM.

In the video the car is on neutral (it's 6MT.) Service booklet did not mention anything about chain or oil pump being replaced.
    I heard a similar (not exactly the same) but louder whining noise on that diesel accord whine thread, they reported it got there, or got louder, when they changed the (timing or oil pump?) chain (and oil pump sprocket.)

I took the serpentine belt off and the whine was still there so it's not power steering pump (although this makes a very slight noise on its own), not alternator, not serpentine belt tensioner, not water pump, not crank shaft serpentine belt pulley, not A/C compressor.

I'm suspecting oil pump (balance shaft maybe?) being the culprit here. I just want to be sure before I order the part and have it installed, it probably isn't very easy to install (costs a lot of money.)

Here's a similar sound but much louder on a Mitsubishi, here culprit was oil pump balance shaft separating from sprocket:

Local tech (they're not Honda in my city but neighboring city they are) said he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary on the engine running sound, and marked it as "normal engine sound." Was a bit appalled on how they cannot hear it... unless this whine is normal. I've tried listening to Accord '06-'07 Type-S review videos where they show the engine sound and I don't hear this whine in them.

BTW, don't mind the VSA icon there, I have a faulty left rear wheel motion sensor and it'll be replaced within two weeks. Hoping that's what causes the icon to go on. OBD2 code reader also said "84-01 sensor logic failure."

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That does sound like a oil pump kinda sound (although it's never easy to be certain listening to youtubes vids on the internet).

With the car safely jacked up and undertray taken off, have a listen to the sump using a strethoscope (or psuedo strethoscope) that should help determine if the whine is coming from that area.
    To change the pump, you have to remove the long driveshaft, lift engine with an engine crane, remove sump, remove the timing chain cover and timing chain before the pump can come off.

If you do need to replace it I recommend replacing it with a non balanced oil pump from an FD2, see this kit below to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

hondream likes this.
  3. toejam119 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting, but I wonder how much more vibration it adds to the car when revving?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You won't notice it at all Its a popular mod.
    It will free up your engine to rev better and be that bit more economical.

I'll be doing it to my engine when I get round to doing the work on it.

5. toejam119 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's a threaded hole.

I'll point you to some info when I'm on my laptop later.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

9. toejam119 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for those links. Defiant's K24 modifications were a very interesting read, but now I'm really scared to do anything without original K24A3 parts :Ermm: That very loud whine and VTEC stutter that appeared after the pump change are crazy.

There was a mention that if the oil pump balance shaft is removed the engine/flywheel will become more responsive (if I understood correctly), does this mean that the low throttle jerk will become more noticeable? I bought a used throttle body from Germany because the jerk in mine was way too big, and now it's half what it used to be (unless I'm imagining things) and I really can't have it any bigger as now it's in barely acceptable levels. The 1st gear jerk is still crazy but I try to use clutch to compensate it whenever I can.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The jerk is throttle related.

I think with his he used FD2 pump and FD2 chain with the original CL9 sump.

IIRC the the sump should have been handed over to FD2 also and the chain should have been the original one. @DeviateDefiant can you confirm this.

Using the EP3 oil pump, with K24 chain and EP3 sump is known to work just fine.

11. toejam119 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This @DeviateDefiant's engine whine (before oil pump swap), what is it? Was/is it oil pump or power steering pump? I remember reading he had issues with the power steering pump.

Also as @SpeedyGee, as you also have K24A3 (assuming stock oil pump), do you have the same whine as my K24A3 in my video in the 1st post? Is there any difference in 2004 K24A3 (pre-facelift) and 2006 K24A3 (facelift) engines themselves?

12. toejam119 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone with K24A3 confirm if the whine noise is normal? Do you have it?
    I'm thinking of buying new stock oil pump from American Honda (as it is much cheaper in the USA than here, 329 euros USA and 900 euros Finland) but here is no point for me in buying it if the noise is there from new.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you recently changed the serpentine belt or removed it ? if you recheck all your work and bolts.

14. toejam119 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I removed the whole serpentine belt before to see if the noise goes away but it didn't.

@Ichiban You have the same engine, do you have the same whine noise?

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's hard to glean anything from that video. If you remove the serpentine belt, take the intake cover off and place a large towel (or similar sized large soft cloth of some sort) folded over on top of the injectors, to muffle the sound from them.

Then start the engine and let it settle down to it normal idle level, let's then see what sounds the engine is making then. Without the sound of the injectors, clouding other sounds, it should be quite quiet.

16. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

You've started her from cold, she's ticking over at about 1500, then you're revving her to 2500, she's not going to sound great until she's had the chance to warm up properly.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That was my point too but @SayamaAccord has explained it more directly.

18. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gm Gardne Tavistock
    I have two 2.4 s on my drive at the moment and they sound like yours...Nothing to worry about these engines are the most reliable honda have ever made...