Electrical & Lights Accord 2008 DVD Player for Navigation

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by aleem321, Monday 25th Apr, 2016.

1. aleem321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Aleem London
    Hello guys,
    DVD player in my 2008 Honda Accord 2.2 DTech stopped working and would not read DVD. Honda garage send the DVD player to their repairer and after 2 weeks they estimated the cost for repair would be around £380.
    My query to Honda experts, can I fit other Honda model's DVD player for navigation (for example Civic) in my Honda Accord ?
    I see there are few DVD players for navigation of other Honda models on eBay which are much cheaper than the price I have been quoted. I have attached the part documents from Honda and also an image of DVD player from my car. Thanks
    H-CD Part 1. H-CD Part 2. 20160303_142719.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm not so certain you can. They seem to vary subtle from each other.

Check out the backs of these other ones and compare the connectors with the one on yours, see if they match.

3. aleem321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks SpeedyGee, I require further info, and that is the DVD Rom in my car has a part No 39540-TL0-G010-M1 (Honda has confirmed this part is for my model). There is an other unit which has part No. 39540-TL4-G010-M1 and honda thinks it may belong to imported car. I would like to request to anyone who can upload an image showing connection side of both units so that can be compared. I have found for TL4 but not for TL0. would appreciate any help. Thanks
    DVD-39540-tl4-g01.

4. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Have you confirmed what is wrong with you DVD drive? as normally it is the laser pick-up which fails, this is readily available on the internet and could be an easy fix.

Regards

John.

5. aleem321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Smokingman,
    I have no clue about the mechanism of DVDs. Please see the attached DTronix report. The unit is with Dtronix for repair and awaiting for my approval. 2nd week of March I went abroad on holidays and returned 5 days ago. I am basically looking to get it repaired as cheap possible but not £300 or over. Please let me know what do you say about the fault and do you think these parts are available and where from.
    Thanks and Regards. DVD Diagnostics 2.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah that's where you're going wrong you don't want to ask Honda to fix it, try asking an authorised Alpine repair centre like :-

DTronix
    2 Canons Road
    Old Wolverton
    Milton Keyens
    MK12 5TL
    UK

7. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi Aleem

As SpeedyGee has said Dtronix is the place for Alpine units. It looks like they are going to replace the Laser pick up head-looking at the price. These are available from eBay at similar price:- £70 plus fitting and testing £225, there must be cheaper repair outlets. If it was mine I would get a new laser unit. But I would feel confident in changing it as I'm an electronic engineer.

Have you been using copied DVD's? if so that's a big cause of the problem.

John

8. aleem321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

SpeedyGee the unit is in hand with DTronix and awaiting my go ahead to repair the unit. It was sent to DTronix thru Honda garage. Yesterday I phoned DTronix to find out the repair price as a private customer and did not mention at all about my unit in their repair center. I was told £225 inc Vat is their fixed price for Honda navigation DVD and parts will be extra cost if required replacing. In my case a servo board (don't know what that is) £64 is needed replacing.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Smokingman thanks for the reply. there is no option to send a private message, so could you please email me your contact to *ADMIN removed email* as I need to discuss other options. Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 28th Apr, 2016
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@aleem321 don't post your email address on public forums. SPAM bots that trawl the internet will pickup the email and have a field day with it.

You can't send PMs as you only have a post count of 5 but @Smokingman can send you a PM.

10. aleem321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry SpeedyGee, my apology I have not read the rules thoroughly. Thanks for pointing out and removing my email. Regards

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@aleem321 have you been able to get this repaired now?

12. aleem321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away. Update: 3 units were sent to Dtronix (Audio head unit, Amplifier, and DVD ROM unit). I changed my mind on getting DVD unit repaired due to cost of almost £400. Regarding Audio Head unit and amplifier, Dtronix did not find any fault with them and tested working to be fine. All 3 units are sent back on my request and Honda garage will re-fit them back in the car on my request.
    I need bit more help. Before Honda fit these units in the car I want to get the wiring checked out. There is a car audio shop who can test the wiring but they don't know where the amplifier is fitted in car so that after fitting the amplifier they test the wiring circuits. According to Honda its location is in the trunk on the right side behind the trim/panel. Does anyone know how to remove trim/panel without any special tools ? Thanks

13. aleem321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Forgot to add amplifier images.

Attached Files: