Introductions Accord 2008 old shape or facelift 2.0 or 2.4 petrol.....decisions?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BollockoBomber, Thursday 1st Jan, 2015.

1. BollockoBomber Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bollock yorkshire
    Hi everyone. As in the title, wanting another accord after a 15 year gap in ownership. Not sure which to go for? Put this old scotsman out of his misery if your informed knowledge.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi bud 2008 is on the cusp of 8the gen being introduced, so do you want a 2008 7th Generation or 8th Generation. I would say go for the 8th Generation as it's far superior to the 7th Generation in all departments IMHO.

Both 2.0 and 2.4 in the 8th Generation are superb you will love them.

3. BollockoBomber Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bollock yorkshire
    Thnks for the reply. Thats what I meant gen7 or 8, not upto speed on the terminology! Guess the 2.2 oil burner is to be avoided as all modern diesels seem to have issues with egrs, dpfs, dmfs etc. What u save in fuel costs u pay in repair bills. Is there any major things to look out for on the gen8?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To get up to speed on the variants and models just click on the accord forum and you will all section with generation details. Things to look out for 2008 8th Generation petrol are sunroof rust make sure it's been changed , all speakers work free from distortion. That about it the rest is all good

BollockoBomber likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Apart from Rust on the Sunroof I can't of anything all too common on the 8th Generation petrols.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I prefer the looks of the 7th Generation saloon but with the tourer I prefer the 8th Generation. But the 8th Generation will be better technology in either guise.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  7. BollockoBomber Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bollock yorkshire
    Had a look at that sunroof thread and I will be checking. Like the look of both gen 7 and 8, gonna go drive some and make up my mind then.

8. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Just bought an 8th Generation 2008 myself. Had sunroof done by dealer for £250. The 2.4 is the smoothest 4 cyl engine I've driven.

Karl.

Ichiban likes this.
  9. BollockoBomber Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bollock yorkshire
    How did you get sunroof fixed for that price? Seems cheap, especially for dealer prices

10. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    It was part of the car purchase deal.

11. BollockoBomber Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bollock yorkshire
    I'll be using it as a bargaining tool to get money knocked off but iI'll be saying it costs nearly a grand!

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to the club,from a very satisfied 7th Generation saloon owner

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @BollockoBomber :welcome:

The 8th Generation is the better car. If you're not concerned about the fuel/Road tax, or just love the more powerful drive, the 2.4 is the one to go for. The 2.0 is cheaper to run, but it really depends on what you, or your wallet like.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma @BollockoBomber

You can't really go wrong with any of the petrol Accords.

15. BollockoBomber Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bollock yorkshire
    Been to look at a couple so far, one a ES GT and the other an ex. Prefer the ex spec but both had rust on the sunroof edge under the rubber. Neither garage were interested in a discount when I pointed out the rust so I walked away. Am still looking but heard about an issue with the rear pads and discs wearing out quickly. Is this a common ussue, something to do with the VSA?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks for the greetings as well

16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try looking at JCT600 Mazda in Bradford. I passed there last night and they have an 8th Generation Saloon in.(Black) couldn't see the price as the windscreen was frozen up!
    I'm out and about in Yorkshire and surrounding counties quite a bit if I see anything else I'll let you know.

FirstHonda likes this.
  17. BollockoBomber Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bollock yorkshire
    Thanks Micky, I do work for Jct600 bodyclinic on the other side of the road. Hadn't noticed the accord in Mazda, probably driven past it about twenty times. I'll go have a look, will probably be quite expensive but I know Jack Tordoff jr quite well so maybe call in a favour

MickyB likes this.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's sitting on the front row(where all Hondas should be).
    Think I may have seen one in one of the garages on Kirkstall Road next time I'm down that way(which will probably be this evening,I work night shifts driving an HGV ) I'll have a look).

20. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Agree with you here on the looks :Thumbup:

Also as said the 8th Generation is a very good car but bear in mind it weighs about 120kg more than the 7th Generation.