Introductions accord 6th Generation brake cable

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GCJXJ, Saturday 13th Jul, 2013.

1. GCJXJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, just joined after searching the old interweb and very impressed with this club!
    Currently struggling to remove the parking brake cable from the caliper. any advice welcome!!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. GCJXJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks for replying!
    I had read this thread but, although I've in lipped the cable from the caliper arm, I can't see how to remove it from the bracket. Given up for now.!!

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Is this the situation you are in here?

brakecalipercopy_zps5c8d9dfd.

If you can get some penetrating oil or WD40 down onto where the cable and bracket are then do so.

Then get some vice grips or large pliers, grab on the circular metal collar highlighted and give it an almighty twist, that will break it free and the complete cable assembly will fall out the bracket.

5. GCJXJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You are spot on!! That's exactly it, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks so much.

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice one.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, hence this pic. You might also be able to grab a cable collar on the other side of that bracket, my notes I took at the time imply so but my memory is doubting it lol...

Its just simply stuck, so try some penetrating oil and give it 5mins or so to soak through and then preferably vice grips on the metal collars.

7. GCJXJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Your memory serves you well, there is a collar on the other side. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Incidentally, noting your location, my car was supplied new by Phoenix Honda to my dad. I drove it south from Glasgow 5 years ago when he sold it to me for £1! Thanks again.

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

£1..Deal of the Decade :Wink:

I had to feed the caliper through/under the suspension after removing a cable-bracket bolt forward of the caliper, think its a 12mm bolt. Hopefully you don't need to do this but if you do, give it a soak with penetrating oil and some wire brushing. You'll benefit from having the caliper on the ground infront of you rather than trying to free it in situ.

You should have no problems tomorrow...beat it with chemical and mechanical advantage!

9. GCJXJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, was a bargain. I know the bolt you mean and will let you know how I get on:Smile:

10. avander.uk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If ur wanting to sell it al give u ten times what u paid for it lol deal of the century

11. GCJXJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lol, came with full tank of fuel too!
    Anyway, nightmare today and after much soaking and very tight mole grips, it wouldn't budge. Had to resort to cutting two slots with grinder which freed it. Car needed for tomorrow so job now done but just kissed my surcharge on the new caliper goodbye!!
    Thanks Andy and all. Cheers!

12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Good job!

I also remember it being extremely tough to remove, I was convinced it was threaded in some way. I did whack it with a hammer and punch, maybe that helped but the vice/mole grips got it for me.

Basically the 'Love Tap' technique was employed....from Briansmobile1 ;-)
    [video=youtube_share;dFtEKZ18YzA]http://youtu.be/dFtEKZ18YzA[/video]

13. GCJXJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Love it! Tried the "love tap" many times, which is why the "you must die" grinder was employed!