Engine & Gearbox Accord 8th Generation vs. Mazda 6

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Nav, Monday 3rd Mar, 2014.

1. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,
    I need a car and i am stuck between two ad cannot make up my mind...so need help..
    I have seen an EX GT that i would like to buy (59 plate), 35000miles, one owner, full Honda service history etc...
    And I have seen the new Mazda 6 (new) 2.2sport 150ps Sat Nav.
    I can’t seem to make up my mind which to go for.. test drove both cars... Honda trumps on comfort, reliability, Road noise (gonna test drive it again to confirm) and the fact its a Honda.. :Smile:
    Mazda trumps on fuel efficiency, tax (low emissions) ~Combined 72.4 MPG, Extra Urban 83.1mpg, Urban 60.1mpg and £20 tax for a year
    Don’t get me wrong I love my Hondas.. Have had Honda’s since the day I start driving... Civics, accord...
    But I am truly confused here.... so help me make a decision guys...

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You had Honda's from day one and you know better to stick with the brand which will not let you down. Mazda 6 will have more features on paper than the 8th Generation as it had a six year head start and the 8th Generation has been static since 2008 with a few new features on facelift cars... So Mazda will have superior credentials but look beyond this.

What Mazda can't deliver is a fantastic drive which the Accord is.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've owned several Mazda 6's and my opinion is that the Accord is a far better car in terms of quality, refinement and reliability. Personally I wouldn't go back to a Mazda 6, the 8th Generation Accord is clear winner.

Also in my mind "Mazda 6 = Ford Mondeo" (urrrgghh) :Grin:

4. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok thank you CJ...
    another quick question... i am going to test drive the accord tomorw.. the one i am planing to buy....(the one i test drove was a similar model auto as i didnt wanna make the 200 mile round trip)
    is there anything i need to look out for in the honda.. any issues, like common faults..??
    I read that Accords are prone to audio issues...
    and i had major problems with the clutch and flywheel on my previous accord...and this DPF i heard its a costly issue as well... is there any way of checking any of these..??

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How many miles will you be doing a year Nav ?

The petrol versions are pretty economical, if you're not doing more than 20K a year you maybe better off with petrol version, you won't have to worry about DPF issues then.

6. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Me and miles.. its a daring question i don't dare ask that question myself... lol... :Messed:

I have in the past done 25k miles per year... but then i had nothing better to do but drive and go places.. but with work and other commitments and recently married :Wub: I really wanna bring that down to 10k-12k per year...
    but bearing in mind i will have a 12 months honda warrenty with the car and if its the accord I decide I might extend that to the two or three years providing they offer me that...

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That kind of mileage sounds like you'll be tottering around town mostly (as opposed to long distance motorway runs), this is exactly what induces DPF issues, I think with mileage that you're talking about you'd be better off with the uber reliable petrol.

I've heard of 8th Generation 2.4 litre petrol Accords returning 40MPG, I'd imagine the 2.0 could do a bit better.

Can someone with an 8th Generation petrol comment on the economy they get please.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tax aside, I have yet to see any real world data that suggests the Mazda 6, in any age/guise meets the fabricated fuel economy numbers they peddle.

My last car, an 8th Generation I-DTEC Accord EX/ADAS - I had regulary runs of 65mpg+. That is real world performance. Full tank gave me over 900 miles. There arent hybrids today that match that. Mazda's are Honda-wannabes. More sensible to buy a bus pass than get a Mazda 6. Plus they have the worst, cheap and nastiest interior I have ever seen in a £20k-plus car. I'd end up committing suicide each time I got in if I owned a car as outdated as Mazda makes their cabins! :Aghast:

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have 8th Generation 2.4 petrol and you can get 40 MPG only if you are driving really slow and carefully otherwise best I get on motorway is around 36 MPG and 27mpg in town.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

TDK's honest opinions are always entertaining :Grin:

Funny stuff mate but yes they are bland inside and quite befitting of the market they are in.

11. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cabin..yes its questionalble for the money you pay... the only thing that really trumps are teh MPG and tax.. thas it..
    if I do take an extended warrrenty with the car that should cover the DPF..rite..?? and if i buy a honda from a honda dealer, say an example from Colliers will the service package and externded warrenty will be covered in another dealer like brindley honda or HH..??

Even though i am planing 10K miles the chances are i will over shoot that... and i am planning a euro trip in the coming months.. :Smile: yes one off but...36- 27mpg thats ... that will put a dent on my wallet for sure....

12. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

how do u mange 65+MPG..?? i just can't get my head around that when honda says 55mpg combined.... but thas brilliant...
    just regular maintanence and service will get me those numbers..??

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well most of my journeys, 95% I'd say, are all motorway. Thats the biggest thing right there. I don't have the car any more - I have a 4th Generation CR-V EX 2.2 I-DTEC. That is advertised with 49mpg etc, but I've managed to get 64mpg out of it. I get 40mpg on short-stop-start trips at the weekend - regularly returns 50mpg plus on the m-way, but because its an all round heavier car, it won't match the Accord and I don't expect it to. Neither gave me any DPF issues either.

Regular maintence HAS to be be matched with the right engine oil. Put the wrong grade in, and the car just gets ruined.

14. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a disappointing journey yesterday.. made a 225mile round trip to Wimbledon Park Honda to look at the accord and was very dissappointed at the state of it...
    Got there... after a few minutes of chat he bought the car around...
    First thing I noticed... Service light turned on (spaner symbol on the dash with the "i" bulb turned on) asked about it and his reply was we will look at it later...
    he turned the navigation on... and the positioning is wrong.... its all over the place... rattles from the dash at low revs and the turbo whistles, like a high pitch noise when starting off... felt like i was in my old accord....
    very diappointed.... i gave them two days notice, they could have got the car sorted... atleast they could have had a look at the car before i went to drive.... when asked oohh it was fine yesterday and I drove it yesterday....
    i saw him bringing the car around it was behind a few cars in the lot.... anyways.. i couldn't turst what he was saying....So i left it guys.. i had to.... will see what comes along next...

Last edited: Wednesday 5th Mar, 2014
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You did the right thing Nav. There will be much better examples out there.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nav you should report that Honda UK, poor quality approved Honda being sold car by any franchise is not acceptable. We as consumers should be more vocal to Honda and the dealers unless we collectively give that feedback on a regular basis, these places will continue to provide subs standard service.

Hang in there will be a car with your name on it.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Oi!!! Enough of the Mazda bashing! Ford's stake with Mazda was reduced to 3% in 2010 for what it's worth.

If I were going for the Mazda then I'd go for the 2.2 175BHP version. However, I do recall there being some inherent fault with the previous generation Mazda 6 diesels in that the dodgy DPF and the oil level which could lead to engine damage. I believed it's been fixed for the new model but worth checking into.

I think the Accord is a better looking car, you see hardly any around so you have the unique factor and they will hold their value better. In fact you'll loose so much on a new Mazda initially that it would surprise me if in a few years they'll both end up at the same value. Not forgetting the Honda diesel is renowned for being one of the best in the business.

Could it be worth leasing a car for a few years and wait for new Accord to hit the UK?

Oh and let's not forget about the seats! Oh they are lovely.

Accord drivers always look so comfortable as I fly past them :king:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mazda-bashing is more than justified in my view.

They make truly rubbish cars that need both Iranian and Iraqi oil fields to keep their poor engines alive.

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sorry, I couldn't hear you from way back there! :Whoosh:

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    How many HP are you pushing again @arcticfire? I'd take you in the Accord :Devil: