Accord braking system - a couple of questions

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by SayamaAccord, Saturday 28th Jan, 2012.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

This is a picture of my engine bay.

honda 11.

On the left is the braking system controller with all the brake lines coming out the top - I don't know the technical name for it! - can anyone please enlighten me?

What is the silver cylinder on the right hand side of the controller - is that the ABS pump?

And what is the orange lever at the front of the controller?

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    that is the VSA modulator. the silver cylinder is the ABS pump/accumulator and the lever locks the multiplug in place.

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ahhhh just realised...that will be the infamous VSA modulator which sometimes fails on the diesel.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    ohhh yes! expensive little things!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Luckily those petrol VSA are made by Keihin Corporation for some bizarre reason on the 8th Generation Petrol Accord Honda have gone for ATE for the European Accord. ATE\Bosch track record on the 7th Generation I-CTDI has been disastrous, so I was surprised to see the ATE modules on the 8th Generation Petrol too.

Can anyone in the US or the else where confirm if the VSA modules have been switched it easy to post the ATE one as they have a white sticker on them.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I didnt know that.You saying that VSA on my car is Bosch?I thought i finally got rid of everything Bosch,word VSA scares me to death when i think how much they cost.Hope they don't fail like on diesel.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    your good for quite a few years yet! you would hope bosch has sorted its act out by now! your in the right place though to keep up to date. if there was somthing documented about new units going wrong you would be one of the first to know about it.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Go get the picture of the VSA off your 8th Generation bud you will find ATE sticker, Bosch and ATE both made the VSA modules for the 7th Generation Diesel.

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

here is picture of VSA on my car

IMAG0205.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There you have it the ATE logo before 06.2102-957.4 that would also equate to the the front calliper and brake pads will be made by ATE, like the 7th Generation too.

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well,here is hoping it will not go wrong.Like Beefy said if it does this is the place to find out about it and i am sure a useful info how to repair it.
    Cheers lads.

13. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've not heard of an 8th Generation one failing yet only on the 7th Generation. Mine went a couple of months after buying it and was actually pleased. I was within the warranty times and it had a one year warranty as well. Better for it to have gone when it did rather then when it would have cost me. I beleive the part is arounf the £1500 mark.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup no failure on the 8th Generation yet , I saw a report somewhere there are over 40K 8th Generation I-DTEC in the whole of Europe.