Daily Driver Accord CL9 Pre-Facelift

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by tUMi, Tuesday 29th Apr, 2014

1. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Honda Accord CL9 pre-facelift

Check the vehicle's full information here.

Last edited: Sunday 4th May, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Great colour and well looked after. :Thumbup:

4. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen. :Smile:

I added some more information about the car, mostly about it's background and latest services.

EDIT: Alright, more information about parts and modifications installed on the car has been added, I think I finally got them all listed correctly now, anyone interested should check out the Modifications tab. Also cleaned out the text a little bit on Info and Modifications tab from typos and other grammatical errors. :Smile:

Last edited: Tuesday 29th Apr, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  5. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Small update (also edited Modifications tab):

Purchased some goodies for my Accord from Unites States.

- Alutec front strut bar
    - a black Honda genuine intake manifold cover
    - a black Honda genuine spark plug/coil pack cover

Looking forward to have them here. :Smile:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  6. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Update:

Goodies arrived last Friday, got them installed in the next day. While installing these I also replaced the spark plugs (more than 60 000 miles behind with the original ones) with new ones, using NGK IZFR6K-11 (iridium) spark plugs. My car came fitted from the factory with these NGK spark plugs.

Also a new air filter (Honda OEM made by Toyo Roki in Japan) and pollen filter (made in Germany by micronAir) were fitted.

A quick photo (click to enlarge):
    IMG_1154.JPG

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you noticed any improvement with the new spark plugs and air filter ?

8. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Yes, I did. I don't think the air filter had much effect because the old one wasn't really dirty yet but the spark plugs sure did. Engine feels more responsive especially in high revs, I think even the fuel economy got improved with the new spark plugs. After all, the old plugs didn't looked so good when I took them out.

Also the strut bar made a big difference. The body roll is much reduced now and I can feel a much improved response in cornering and overall stability. Very happy with Alutec. :Smile:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's good news :Smile:

Each little improvement adds up to a much better car :Thumbup:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You are lucky to get a ToyoRoki Japanese air filter for the 7th Generation , they come from ToyoRoki Thailand now. The UK had far higher volumes than anywhere in Europe so you guys must be on old stock.

The Thailand filter appeared here 2 years ago here.

11. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Yeah, propably got my air filter from old stock. It was packed in a thin plastic wrap with Honda logos stamped all over it. The part number 17220-RAA-505 was shown on the plastic package and also a text "Made in Japan". The filter itself had a Toyo-Roki logo.

A local dealer at Honda service told me that they have only sold a few of these when I purchased mine so looks like most customers here opts for non-OEM air filters for their 7th Generation (propably due to high price of OEM filter).

By the way, is the Toyo-Roki Thailand filter recommendable choice for 7th Generation Accord or should I look for something else when I need an air filter next time (talking about air filters made for stock air filter case)? I have already tried Spoon air filter (also made in Japan), very expensive and it was impossible to see any gains using it when compared to Honda OEM air filter.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Toyo-Roki worldwide have a good track record of making good standard quality however when you see the Thai made filter its yellow paper when the Japanese filter is pure white.:Blink: The colour off putting other than that its the same grade of plastics and paper. Honda vendor relationship around the world is very robust and frequently audited . I would say I would trust a Asian vendor over a European Honda vendor any day any time,.

I will confirm when I change the Thai air filter and comment on its durability,I won't be overly concerned over its filtering ability.

13. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Another minor update:

I've decided to swap the Mugen gear knob I had fitted to my car to another knob (sorry to disappoint you DD, now there's only 2 people left on this site as far as I know with the Mugen gear knob :Tongue:).

I liked the Mugen gear knob very much, only thing I disliked about it is that it's made from metal and it doesn't feel very comfortable when it's either hot or cold weather outside. On a hot weather the Mugen gear knob turned very hot to touch and because of that I got my shifter hand burnt numerous of times and I eventually got tired of it. And in cold weather the Mugen gear knob was always freezing cold to grab until the car got warmed up properly (unless I wore gloves inside the car). These are the reasons why I decided to go for a different type of gear knob.

This is a photo of my new gear knob, got it installed today (sorry for picture quality but couldn't make it better):
    IMG_1168.JPG?dl=1

Last edited: Sunday 3rd Aug, 2014
  14. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Another small update...

Since I've replaced my Mugen gear knob with the Spoon one, I was left with no Mugen parts fitted at all.

To fix this, I have recently bought and fitted some new Mugen goodies, this time under the hood. My new (genuine) Mugen parts fitted are:

- Radiator cap
    - Hexagon oil filler cap (blue)

WP_20140803_001.

Next thing I'm going to do is to change the engine oil and the oil filter.

Inspired by DD, last time I changed my engine oil, I decided to swap for Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20. I have driven 5000 miles with it now and the oil is definitely good. However, I'm not satisfied with the oil consumption. After 5000 miles I have already added 1,5 litres of oil to the engine in order to keep the oil level on the upper mark of the oil check stick. When I was using my previous oil, Castrol Edge FST 5W-30, I hardly had to add any oil during the interval (maybe 0,3 litres max).

So, next time in oil change I'm going to use Fuchs Titan Pro Race S 5W-40. I think most people here are already aware of this oil so I think it won't be necessary to introduce it any further. As an oil filter I am going to use the Honda OEM oil filter (part # 15400-RBA-F01), made by Purflux (I think DD uses the same filter in his Type-S).

In my previous oil change I used the Honda OEM oil filter for S2000. I was originally planning to use this oil filter on every oil change from now on. I had zero issues when using this oil filter but I think that on a unmodified car using S2000 OEM oil filter is not really necessary, the Purflux one will do the job nicely (I have already used the Purflux filter once with good results on one of my previous oil changes).

Last edited: Sunday 3rd Aug, 2014
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I like the Mugen additions ! :clap:
    One question though. Is there a reason you fill the oil to the max level each time ?
    I was always told to keep the oil level at the mid-point between max and min.

16. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Well, to be more precise, I have a habit to fill the oil level close to the max level (somewhere between mid-point and max level) so that overfilling cannot happen. I'm always checking the oil level from the cold engine and the car is always parked in the same spot when I check the oil (some people like to do the same process with the warm engine).

And no, I don't fill the oil level each time close to the upper level when I notice some oil has been disappeared (I check the oil level once per week). I usually add oil to the engine when the oil level is at the mid-point or below it. I don't see a reason to keep the oil level at the max level all times.

Nothing wrong with your method, though. Any method is fine as long as you don't overfill!

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I too check when the engine is cold, on a level surface. When I was younger, and drove other cars, they usually needed some oil between each change.
    My last three cars, all Accords, (for the last 24 years) have not needed any extra oil. Maybe I have just been lucky.
    I think the important thing is to check regularly, just as we both do.

18. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    I also got a question for you. Which oil are you using in your current car? It has a lot to do with the oil consumption. Try the same oil I'm using at the moment and you might get oil consumption, especially when combined to sporty driving style (=often revving to VTEC zone, I have that habit!) with the hot climate (it's been really hot in Finland for the last 4 weeks!).

Certainly it's just not the oil that affects the consumption. It's a combination of several things, such as used oil viscosity and maker, your engine (some individuals are more thirsty for oil than others) and of course, your right foot.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Hey @tUMi, just spotted your recent updates. I think the Spoon gear knob suits your car well, must say I've never actually noticed my Mugen knob being either drastically hot or cold, though I definitely preferred my stock Type-S gear knob for comfort in the hand.

You just prompted me to go out and check my oil level, I now have dropped slightly - at a guestimation around 200ml, considering we're talking about 5 months or so I can't complain, it's worth noting I hit VTEC consistently and am often up by the red line :spiteful:

Fuchs Titan is an excellent oil all round, I ran 5w-40 as my oil of choice in both my Accords before swapping to 0w-20. Must say, I still find the 0w-20 vastly outperforms it in every manner, performance, smoothness, economy. The difference in economy between 5w-40 and 0w-20 for me is 5-6mpg :Blink: Even though I'm aware of the excellent protection properties of 0w-20, I still would feel safer with 5w-40 at times considering my driving style.

I have another genuine filter already, but I think I'll go for the S2000 on the Autumn change considering mine is slowly climbing towards that level of power.

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

To be honest, I cannot remember the brand of oil, but it is a 5-40, fully synthetic, and to the specifications Honda stated at the time of purchase. I bought several containers as it was cheaper that way. I will buy a different one next time as the recommendations have changed.
    My Accord is the I-CTDI and I am a boring driver compared to some. I rarely push the revs very high, but do drive to the speed limits on motorways.
    I give my car a 'work out' periodically, but again, staying out of the red zone.