Engine & Gearbox Accord diesel not starting - my experiences

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by stegg, Saturday 3rd Aug, 2013.

1. stegg New Member Getting Started

Hello all.

Here's my first post as an Accord diesel owner.

I bought her a few months ago, as a basket case, with a serious engine problem. I expected to replace the head, as a minimum, but ended up replacing the block too. The balancer/oil pump chain had snapped, but the lady continued to drive until two conrods exited the block!

After an extensive rebuild, which involved changing bearings in the donor engine and a new balancer chain, to be on the safe side, I assembled the engine ready to replace it. This was easier than expected as it's a top down installation. I'd already rebuilt and replaced the turbo (I used a CR-V part as a donor) and clutch/flywheel for much newer items. I transferred all of the other components across, with the exception of the crank sensor that was already fitted.

The time came to start her up and after countless attempts, no joy. Lots of cranking, battery charging etc, until I started to scour the forums. Various threads suggested different items, but the one that interested me most related to the return circuit on the injectors. This proved to be a red herring, but I did get her running with a tiny whiff of easy start, so I knew all was not lost. I then went on to replace the battery, fuel filter and even a new fuel pump, but still she wouldn't start on the key. The fuel side seemed pretty sorted now, so in a last attempt to get her running, (before "spares or repair" on ebay beckoned) I got a new crank sensor, as this was the only electrical part from the donor engine that I kept. I fitted this yesterday afternoon and she started after 3 or 4 seconds of cranking!!! Hooray!!

So, have faith, all is not lost when your 2.2 doesn't start very well. It could well be something as simple as a crank sensor.

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad you got her running, any pics of the damage to the engine before you rebuilt it?
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good on you for sticking with it, a lot of people would have given up. Please do post pics if you have them.
  4. stegg New Member Getting Started

Sorry but no pictures. The local scrap man has the old block and there wasn't anything worth salvaging from what was left. Hopefully, it will be trouble free motoring from here on in!
  5. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Well done bud, see all that hard work was worth it in the end
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Did you not scan the ECU for DTC to see where the fault was ?, it good you found the problem in the end.