Electrical & Lights accord engine light

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Ray Preston, Thursday 13th Dec, 2012.

1. Ray Preston New Member Getting Started

i have only had my accord 2 weeks( 2001 2.0se auto) the yellow engine light has come on. i have read the sticky about the lamda sensor.
    is it ok to drive? going to ring the garage tomorrow but still need to get to work.
    is it always this sensor or can something else cause it

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome to AOC :Hey: get the code read at your local garage and take it from there the engine management light aka MIL can be anything until its read.

keep us posted.

3. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes it could be anything, I'm still trying to sort mine, I've tried the two wire jump leads on the socket under the dash but the light just stays on when the ignition is switched on, I have taken the revs to 3500 revs and above so the ECU is ok now i have to check for grounding, I still get this feeling that I have a vacuum leak some where and maybe a bad slow idle valve due to the surging of revs from 1000 to 1500 up and down, a process of ilimination.

4. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have this too I remove the fuse from the panel on the passenger side for the clock/instruments it goes off and stays off when i'm driving 30-50mph but when the VTEC kicks in it'll pop back on so i'm guessing the lamda near the cat may be messed up! (i think its there) i've changes the one on top of the exhaust manifold but as said it s a process of elimination.

been told its ok to drive but unless its sorted it could cause serious problems (honda manual) it states it is an emission fault.
    good luck

5. Ray Preston New Member Getting Started

got mine sorted at my local garage, who i trust and have been going to for 20+ years. the guy who sold me the car reckoned it was the sensor coking up and it just needed cleaning.
    my guy called the honda dealer, they said the code was related to the gearbox and emissions, something about the fuel mix being not right which the gearbox needs to know for changeup/down. this could result in un-burnt fuel getting on the cat.the seller told me the car was ok to drive and no serious problems would arise(at odds with the manual which says the world will end) my guy says yes you could drive, but if the light is on how will you know if it gets another more serious fault?

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Fuel mix not being right sounds like the oxygen sensor which is always the most likely possibility when this light comes on.

7. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

that makes sense my gearbox is shocking!! can't select reverse and its not too smooth going through gears either!....this sounds promising even though I've ordered a gearbox and clutch (release bearing making a noise so thats a must anyway)

8. Ray Preston New Member Getting Started

update, light came on again, to it back to my garage,but they say i need to take it back to the seller for warranty work. when i picked it up the light went off,about 300 yards later it came on again. ho hum

9. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oxygen sensors need looking at or the cat may be shot?

10. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I put a jump wire across the terminals on the double socket under the dash to get a code I turn the ignition to on and the engine light comes on and no flashing for code, can any one tell me if this means that there is no falts or is there something wrong with ECM? once I know this I will know where to look, thanks guys.