Engine & Gearbox Accord F18/F20 Tuning Discussion

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by matt park, Friday 22nd May, 2015.

1. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Anyone got any good suggestions of a performance chip for a 2002 accord sport??

I want to get a bit more ooomph out of her, but without going crazy.

I know nothing about chips so some pros and cons would be much appreciated. Are they easy to install?? Do i need a laptop??

Cheers boys

Matt
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also, do you think it's worth replacing the old air filter and getting a cold air intake??

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    These boxes work best with diesels, but your car (being a 2002) must be a petrol, so there would be little to gain.

In any case, a proper remap/reflash from a decent company is a far better thing to buy than a tuning box.
    - - - Updated - - -
    A cold air intake would bring some benefit, but even these are often exaggerated.

matt park likes this.
  3. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Interesting, cheers for that Zebster

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Others may well have conflicting advice for you! What engine does your car have?

matt park likes this.
  5. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I believe it is the F18A but i may be wrong. Somebody on here will know for sure. It's a 1.8

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Without proper I/H/E modifications even a proper remap on it's own wouldn't yield much benefit.

matt park and Nighthawk like this.
  7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As far as I am aware there is no tuning chip available for our 6th Generation accord, and I think the only other way is perhaps the likes of hondata in America, but even then they may not support you.

matt park likes this.
  8. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Boo hiss

9. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Oh dear, sounds expensive

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Perhaps the only other way to release ponies is a good cat back system and breather mods such as a panel filter or CAI.

matt park likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @matt park - I have combined the two threads mate, they are asking the same thing

matt park likes this.
  12. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The engine can be mapped on any non-VTEC ODB1 ECU (P06 / PR4 / P75 etc.) which @H-Tune can supply refurbished and resocketed (around £150, I work for them), we don't have a ready prepared basemap for the F18, but should be able to put something together that will work as a decent base for a tuner to finish it off on the dyno with Crome, will confirm this on Monday once I speak to Scott. You'd also need to convert from ODB2 to ODB1 with a conversion harnesses:

Rywire OBD2B - OBD1 ECU Conversion Harness - H-Tune ● H-Tune

On the ATR it also involves changing from a 3-wire IACV to a 2-wire, I'm not 100% on the CG8 but can look into it further. The car will definitely benefit from a remap, but as @SpeedyGee was getting at, it might not be a justified expense without I/H/E work to maximise potential gains.

As for the CAI, Injen and K&N make great intakes for the H22 as above but the geometry of it all will be slightly out on an F18 and you might have to botch it a bit to fit. The other thing you need to do is check the throttle body inlet diameters against the H22 (70mm) as you would need a step-down adapter. I think @Chunkylover53 has looked a bit into solutions for the CG8.

matt park likes this.
  14. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Nice one Leo, that is incredibly helpful, thanks very much. Keep me posted

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The world of older ODB1 ECUs has only just opened up to me properly to be honest, until I bought my ATR and joined H-Tune I didn't know anything but K-Series :Laughing: I'll let you know what happens on Monday.

matt park likes this.
  16. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Can't wait

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

by the way Green Cotton filters sell an induction kit for the Accord, which IIRC is around £60 at the moment,

matt park and DeviateDefiant like this.
  18. H-Tune Performance Parts Trader

@matt park, we're brainstorming this one at the moment between us - we should be able to put together a F18/F20 tuning package for 6th Generation owners with everything you need to get up and running.

matt park and Harvey like this.
  19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm very, very interested in what @DeviateDefiant and @H-Tune have planned, this is definitely uncharted territory - for what its worth I'll take anything that creates extra noise!

Last edited: Friday 24th Jul, 2015
    matt park, Nighthawk and Harvey like this.
  20. H-Tune Performance Parts Trader

We've already put together a suitable map for the F18 which should work well as a base for dyno tuning. Now we just need to do some further research into the ODB conversion to ensure what exactly will be required for CG8/CG9 owners.