Guides Accord Headlight Restoration!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Chrispy, Wednesday 11th Jun, 2014.

1. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Well howdy fellow Accord owners, today I received my Quixx Headlight Restoration Kit (Cheapest I could find eBay £9ish)

81Tmf95VZrL._SL1500_.

To begin with I washed the headlights and masked them up here is a sneaky peak of what they looked like before hand:

20140611_184005.

20140611_184015.

Oxidised, cloudy, although not much discolouration. I had tried all sorts, toothpaste, window cleaner, petrol (perhaps not the best of ideas), metal polish, car polish and more harsh substances :Wink:

First process was 2000 Grit wet sanding horizontally 10 minutes on each headlight, plenty of elbow grease, but not so much pressure, at first I was a bit cautious as it appeared to make it worse, but what would to expect using sand paper lol....:

20140611_192120.

Repeat the process only sanding with 3000 grit vertically against the previous grain if you like (also this was after wiping it down) notice how its increasingly cloudy, again another 10 minutes each light pressure:

20140611_193145.

Finally Repeat the process with 5000 grit wet sand paper, this time light pressure but for longer to remove any deep scratches from the previous 2000 or 3000 grid sand paper, once wiped down fine polishing paste applied, with the cloths provided and lots of pressure, rub it down circular motion, as you do:

20140611_193616.

End result after applying the supplied sealer, not immaculate but what a difference:

20140611_210528.
    I thought I would share this with you all just in case you may be suffering from the same problem, overall it took just shy of an hour, It took me another half hour because I decided to wash the car whilst I was at it :Grin:

So Quixx Kit, lots of elbow grease, a nice day, preferred consumed poison (Banana Bread Beer for me) and your golden!

Be warned, achy hand afterwards, and not for the right reasons!, I'll leave that one for you imagination! :Wink: WHEYHEY!

Cheers

Chris :Wink:

Duc de Pommfrit, SpeedyGee and Nels like this.
  2. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Next on my list is to replace the left broken light jet washer cover, it was like that when I bought the car unfortunately, god knows how it would break like it has :Messed:, I also have some plastic cover caps for the fog light plastic surrounds too, to get round to eventually.... (you may notice the shine from the head of screw on the right fog surround, I don't like it :Frown: ) I have some caps similar to what to would use on your number plate :Grin:, just need some decent self tappers with a small head :Messed:

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A great job there @Chrispy :GoodJob:
    I wonder how many other owners have headlights like the top 2 pictures ?
    Thank you for posting.

4. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Nearly every other 7th Generation older than 6 seems to have something similar, well of that I've seen personally on the road or parked up. A little elbow grease goes along way, and I'm chuffed to bits with the difference, if you really wanted to you could go back to the small imperfections and go over them again but I wanted to save some polish to do the missus's car, also suffering badly with similar issues :Messed:, to the point where its an MOT advisory because of the light restriction from the bulb, never mind paying for new headlights, restore them! ...

:Grin:

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I don't recall seeing any PFL 7th Generation like that. Lots of E class, but not Accords.
    My Accord is 10, and the lights are fine.
    You must get more sun over in Notts.

Joking aside, you've made a huge improvement.
    Good luck with the next one :Grin:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a job well done mate :Thumbup:

7. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Perhaps its all the salt on the road these days, my car was probably abused also ! :Wink:

Chris.

8. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Perhaps it is a Nottingham thing as mine are exactly the same !

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Maybe someone can tell us what causes this to happen ?

Either way, you know how to fix it.

10. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Exposure to the harsh environments of the Great (or not so great) British Roads hehe....

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

From what I've read elsewhere it occurs because the manufacturers put a protective film on the headlamps because their made from polycarbonate which is porous. But UV rays + heat from the bulb + road dirt etc combine to slowly get it to fall apart which gives the oxidised look. So when its sanded down we fully remove the film and reveal unexposed polycarbonate which we put the sealant on (basically the same product as the protective film used by manufacturers) to make the headlamps look like new again.

If they still used glass then we wouldn't have this problem, though glass is a lot weaker, more expensive and more dangerous after an accident so I guess the pros outweigh the cons.

exec likes this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thanks @Chunkylover53 . Changing over from glass headlights was the right thing to do. They were not good for pedestrians.
    Whilst out today, I've seen many cars with this issue (no Hondas).

It's odd that mine haven't suffered from this.
    The only thing that I do to my polycarbonate is a coat of RainX annually :Unknown:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just seen this thread mate that is a realy good clean up on the headlights! :Grin:

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I assume that kit can be used with an orbital sander (save achy hands) ?

15. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Wouldn't see why not, I'd be a bit cautious using something like that however :Smile: Would probably so a better even job ! :Smile:

My main problem was deep scratches, still have a few imperfections, but it is really worth it :Smile:

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I tried my '03s with an orbital and it made such a mess, because the lights are curved it's very hard to get even coverage when sanding down. I resorted to the same method @Chrispy used to "fix" them in the end.