Engine & Gearbox accord humming

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by francie, Monday 27th Aug, 2012.

1. francie New Member Getting Started

hi there, i bought an 07 2.2 accord cdti about a month ago, ever since its started this annoying humming noise around the engine, I've replaced the aux belt with the shorter version but its still there, i took the belt back off and its still doing it, so it isnt alternator, power steering pump etc.
    when its idling the noise can't be heard only when reved.
    im now starting to think its a timing chain issue but I've read its usually a rattle not a humming noise. maybe the oil pump, water pump?
    has anyone else came across this problem and fixed it?
    the car has good service history and I've done an oil change with 0-30.
    forgot to mention, its definitley not the clutch.

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Hi, AOC is a friendly community and we like new members to be the same. Try Introducing yourself first that way you will get a better response from members to your problems.

How many miles the car done?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Francie any further development or narrowing down on the source of the issue.

4. francie New Member Getting Started

Not as yet mate. But think its the crankshaft pulley. I've got a lend of oneto try it. Fingers crossed as i hope its not a chain issue. Ill keep you posted

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Goodman keep on plugging at it you will find the source,finger crossed it not the chain or a jammed timing tensioner.

6. francie New Member Getting Started

finally got the bottom pulley changed and the noise is still there, looks like its a chain issue:Sobbing:
    I've a friend thats a honda mechanic, he was telling me that hes never changed a chain on a 06 onwards, as theres been no issues with them, he can't pinpoint the noise unless he strips it down. think its time for a new owner.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is one way of looking at it , if you can't devote some time to look for source issue getting rid is the best option. Maybe someone with time and money can repair it but its a risk if you find more damage.