Engine & Gearbox Accord i-CTDi hessitates low revs

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by truker66, Sunday 18th Oct, 2015.

1. truker66 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom simon birmingham
    hi im simon new to your forum hoping you guys can help me as im pulling my hair out with this problem my accord lurches on light throttle under 2000 RPM but i have no light on dash have had fuel filter changed genuine honda one had garage put computer on it can't find anything wrong so any help be appreciated

2. Euan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Petrol/diesel, what year?

3. truker66 New Member Getting Started

hi its diesel 56 plate

4. Euan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor or IMRC solenoid are common enough problems that could match the symptoms. They usually trigger fault codes though.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @truker66
    (Simon, I've moved this thread to the correct section)

It's customary to tell is a little about yourself and your Honda in the Introduce Yourself section.
    Additionally, if you add your Accord to the Club Garage, it helps us when helping you.

6. truker66 New Member Getting Started

thank you for your replies when you push pedal further down goes like a rocket im even thinking putting it in honda but don't really want to as your hear lots bad things tho

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you take her to a good dealership, they will give you quality advice.
    However, you may not need to.

@Zebster is a real I-CTDI guru. I'm sure he'll be able to give you some pointers.

(BTW, it's an I-CTDI. CDTI's are in things like Vauxhalls)

8. truker66 New Member Getting Started

my appologies for my cdtis and I-CDTI really appreciate any help tho

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP. Many people get that wrong.

Good to see you've had a genuine Honda fuel filter. That engine doesn't respond well to anything else.
    What mileage is she on?
    What's the service history like?
    How often has the oil been changed?

What is your mechanical experience like?

10. truker66 New Member Getting Started

Hi my mechanical know ledge is very little its got 108 .000 on it now oil change last year service history up til 93 I think when bought it had all filters changed new clutch and alternator fitted to I will confess did used to use supermarket fuel but niw use shell diesel hope that may help back ground of my car . simon

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I guess that depends what the garage computer was, and what it was able to test. A Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) is the most foolproof way of checking the functional performance of each engine sub-system but other, more common, garage diagnostic equipment can perform some tests (so long as the equipment is correctly configured with the correct key). Simply using an OBD2 reader, even in real-time mode (which the garage may have done?) will not have exercised the engine sub-systems to see which one is failing under load.

Unfortunately, without any fault codes to base a diagnosis on, it's hard to confirm the problem. Member @Euan has made a couple of useful suggestions... BTW, it's fairly easy to test the APP sensor by comparing the pick-up performance of accelerator pedal versus cruise control resume. Additionally, the EGR valve sticking open (or not fully closing) is a not uncommon problem that can cause similar symptom to what you have described, there is a DIY guide to cleaning this on the forum.

Getting the car connected up to a HDS would save the guesswork. A Honda dealer is the obvious choice, but many other places could well have access to one.

12. truker66 New Member Getting Started

Thank you fir your reply I don't suppose you may know of anyone in birmingham area that can diagnose it instead of Main dealer many thanks fir input zebster

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Simon, I have a HDS, however, despite being pretty decent with Honda petrol engines, I'm not so hot on diesels.

If @Zebster can tell us what to look for on HDS unit I can have a look for you sometime.

14. truker66 New Member Getting Started

That would be great if you could I'm worried it will just go in limp mode all of sudden when I'm on a, motorway which wouldn't be good I do love the car used have petrol Honda before bombproof,

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You may have a few days wait, as I've got my own car in my garage in pieces at the moment and the HDS I've only setup with the garage PC.

I've never tried it on my laptop which is a MacBook Pro. I may have to try and set it up on it.

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    When the HDS is connected to diesel, it configures itself automatically to provide the diesel test routines. Off the top of my head, there's EGR and IMRC position tests, boost and fuel pressure target setting/matching tests, a fuel pressure solenoid test and an injector quantity balance readout. There isn't an APP sensor test.

Sorry for the picture quality, but here's a picture of the diesel inspection menu...
    IMAG0449_zpsf386f582.

Last edited: Sunday 18th Oct, 2015
  17. truker66 New Member Getting Started

Thank you guys glad I joined Honda karma its a awesome site I used to be on desoluk couple years back with my honda CR-X esi TT SOHC loved that car but had sell her tho

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

19. truker66 New Member Getting Started

Ok I will when get sorted mine was one off

20. truker66 New Member Getting Started

Just been for a 80 mile round trip still getting good fuel economy guys well into top 50s average town and, motorway
    Rang Honda see if cud help said have put car on machine but only in the week so will have lose days pay and pay them as can't do diagnostic on saturday haha