Intake System Accord i-DTEC EGR problem

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Djorma, Monday 6th Apr, 2015.

1. Djorma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have had DPF removed and remapped the ECU about two years ago, and now after about 1h and 45 min of driving Engine light and Check System comes on and it goes to limp mode. After turning the engine off and restarting 3 times in 30 sec it works again like it should, but the light still comes on. I had it to a garage and they red the fault codes and it said "EGR malfunction" "axle broken" when they tried to test if the EGR works. So after removing the fault code, everything still works normal. But yesterday when on a longer journey again after 1h 45min same thing happens.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The danger of removing the DPF is that the codes are thrown up by the ECU but they are removed by the mapping so that they don't show up.

If this has been done incorrectly then what you maybe seeing is incorrect codes being thrown up. The actual code may not be "EGR malfunction" and indeed it's not going to be "axle broken" is it. You could give the EGR system a good clean and hope that that clears the issue. If that doesn't work you may need to get the ECU put back to stock to see all the real codes being thrown.

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It would be useful to know what the actual codes were.

I am surprised that there is a 'axle broken' code. I'm a little suspicious of this one!

4. Djorma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't know the code. When they tried the EGR test revs went down a bit, so i assume it works but it's clogged, so i will clean it this week. But does the EGR work when the
    engine is hot ?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What diagnostic tool are the garage using ?

6. Djorma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hondas own diagnostic tool.

7. Djorma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there a DIY how to open and clean it?

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The Honda Diagnostic System incrementally opens the EGR valve whilst monitoring the corresponding fall in Mass Air Flow - there are a few reasons why these may become uncorrelated. Being a little bit clogged isn't a big problem, but the valve not closing can be. Also check that the EGR pipework isn't cracked or leaking.

9. Djorma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I will check that too.

10. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    If you had the DPF removed 2yrs ago this obviously has nothing to do with that.
    like been mentioned get the car on a Honda HDS.
    Roughly how many miles you done since removal.

11. Djorma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

22k miles. I had it on Honda HDS (at a dealer garage) and it showed EGR malfunction, Axle broken. Not sure if i translated "axle broken" from finnish correctly, but some shaft/axle is broken into two pieces?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@Djorma the "axle broken" is a translation issue for sure. If you can post the actual codes here, we can look them up for you.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  14. Djorma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, i don't find anything that could be an axle :Smile: And I didn't write those codes down so i should go and read them again this week..

15. Djorma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So the code is P1401
    There was no axle/shaft broken this time :Smile:

16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Well I've not come accross any eft malfunctions on the I-DTEC yet other than get pipe cracking. I suspect it's in some way related to the DPF removal. I take it the EGR wasn't "deleted" at the same time was it? Not sure but it's possible EGR perameters could be changed as part of the re-map for DPF removal?