Bulletins & Advisories Accord i-DTEC: Fuel Strainer Cap Does Not Loosen

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Service News, Tuesday 27th Dec, 2011.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    This situation will only become apparent to a lot of 8th Generation DIYers when they come to replace the fuel filter on the 8th Generation I-DTEC engine. The majority of the 8th Generation which have gone into the Honda dealer network would have had this product update applied free of cost.This new modified strainer cap is only applicable on 2009 I-DTEC Accord chassis code CU3 CW3 all prior models don't have this issues,and models after this date have the modified part.

If you have a 2009 I-DTEC Accord please call your local dealer to see if this work has been done. This product update relates to the over tightening of the fuel strainer cap. To prevent future maintenance issues with replacing the fuel filter the repair method will be to replace the fuel strainer Cap.

Honda (UK) did write to the registered owners of all the affected cars advising them of this issue.

The Symptoms

The fuel strainer cap cannot be loosened with the fuel filter wrench.

The Cause
    The thread dimension of the strainer cap was incorrect,resulting in an over-torque condition.

The Fix
    The dimensions of the strainer cap has been modified.The way to check if this car has had this updated applied is to inspect if there is a white DOT mark on the fuel strainer cap.
    The modified part carries this white DOT and you know the part is already installed. If there is no white DOT mark,contact your local dealer to get this fixed.

Picture of Modified Part

AOCUK i-DTEC Fuel strainer cap Mod.

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Great information for 8th Generation owners who have DIY in mind...company drivers may not have acted on the letter.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well the majority of the company drivers are not at the actual car owners the letter would have gone to their fleet manager or the lease company. It their duty of care to get the cars fixed does it happen in reality ?

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    In my experience lease cars get what they need more so than regular punters, and Lex Leasing are pretty spot on with returning vehicles for recalls. Just a shame their drivers don't give a flying poo about there cars and treat them like dirt. God, the state of some of them makes you wonder why there companies allow them a car! It's as if a down and out is living in some of them and I swear they damage them for fun lol.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the fuel strainer caps were a right ball ache to remove before countermeasure. we snapped one of our filter cups removing one once! how the strainer itself didnt crack i will never know.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Beefy could you recommend a suitable tool to remove the strainer cap. The majority of 8th Generation owners will not have the special tool for the removal.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    tough one this. there is very little room to play with and the filter cup has to be deep enough to allow for the fuel hose coupler and the honda tool has fins inside which sit in the 4 openings arround the filter cap. buying a single filter cup with the same dimentions would be difficult but i suppose i could do a cheeks measurement of the inner dimention of the tool. heres a link to the separate oil filter cups Sealey

or annother option could be to use an adjustable fuel sender wrench? Sealey

8. Hondas800 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I believe this product update is no longer active....

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thats good to know cheers

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    they should all have been changed by now. the inner dimention of the special tool is 90mm but ime struggling to find a filter cup to fit sold separately.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    And most importantly with the clearance to deal with the return pipe. you don't want to be damaging that part.

12. deeno1975 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Killian Ireland
    Just about to undertake a fuel filter change (say a prayer and take a deep breath). Just a few questions;

1. Is there a self bleed mechanism on the I-DTEC as oppose to the primer on the CDTI?

2. Anyone know where I can source that Honda Tool for the removal of the head of the filter strainer? And without this tool is the whole preocedure a non starter?

Thanks in advance..

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Hi Deano , welcome to AOC please take time to introduce yourself within the newbies section. Since the I-DTEC engine are fitted with piezoelectric injectors the system is self priming and there is no blub to prime the filter. To prime the system turn the ignition key in position 2 the pre-supply pump will be heard in the back of the vehicle pumping fuel to the engine. This pumping cycle will last 40 seconds before the pre-supply pump is disabled automatically (to prevent damage)

You can buy the special tool directly from Honda dealers over the parts counter in an ideal world you can do without the special tool but like with anything else it come with its risk.

Top tip

You have to have 5 litre of more in the tank to do the self prime, and I would also stress the fact to all I-DTEC owner please what ever you do never run out of diesel fuel. if you running low fill up ASAP.

14. deeno1975 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Killian Ireland
    Thanks for the welcome, I've just posted on the "Introduce Yourself" forum and thanks for your reply (invaluable information).

Just been on a few sites trying to source that fuel filter tool but alas have no luck. Do you perchance have a link where I can purchase it or maybe a Honda Parts number??

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ofcoruse Paul one of the Moderator has taken a picture of this genuine Honda tool , I am sure when he sees this he will post the picture of the tool.

I don't have the part number with at the moment but will post it later on tonight.