Suspension, Steering and Brakes accord knocking sound from left front

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by simbac, Thursday 8th Jan, 2015.

1. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    Hie guys I need your help in diagnosing a slight knocking sound coming form the front left suspension. its been a while now i have been hearing a light knocking sound from my accord from the front side. You can only hear the sound when moving slowly even in a smooth road. I have realised that sometimes if you jack the car the sound seems to go away for a while but will soon come back. I have also realised that when you turn the steering slightly to one side when engine is on but stationery you will hear the slight knock and you will also hear the knock when you drive slowly in a straight road without touching the steering. at high speeds the knocking sound seems to be absent. Im not sure what it could be? can it be suspension bushings or the steering or ball joints? pliz help? has anyone experienced this problem. I once took it to a mechanic one day and it never reproduced the noise but now i hear it very often.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check for wear on the compliance bush
    ARB bush
    Drop links
    or worn Axel CV boots.

3. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    thanx for reply but droplinks have been changed so we can rule them out,. If CV joints are worn don't they make a clunking sound when turning?? in this case the car doesnt make than sound when turning ,it just knocks slight when you move the steering a bit to one side, and it also makes that sound when moving straight slowly without turning or touching the steering wheel. Not sure about compliance bushes and ARBs

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check the Compliance bushes and ARB.

If you get your car in a four post lift that will unload the damper and extent the lower arm to it lowest point and you can see cracks or the bush outer lip lifting. ARB bushes can also be inspected then.

Last edited: Thursday 8th Jan, 2015
  5. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    yes that is very true, the compliance bush to that side is lifting from the control arm a bit but is not cracked. Im sure it is supposed to be intact with the control arm. Could it possibly be the cause??

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes mate they need to be properly seated in the lower control arm and if they are not you will get that noise. You can get them as separate parts you don't need to change the entire arm, They are inexpensive around 20 quid.

Best practice is to change both sides.

7. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    thanx so much man . i owe you a beer lol. you always help me with good information on my accord. what can i do without you???

SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.