General Accord Owner Again!

Discussion in '1st Generation (1976-1981)' started by hedleyf, Thursday 4th Sep, 2014.

1. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

At last after many years on the look out for a gen one accord I now own one.
    1980 three door hondamatic in green
    waiting on it going through its DVS Driver and vehicle standards test , this is like your MOT ,I need this to register the car to local plates ,
    will post some pics towards the end of the month.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's great news Dave. Really looking forward to those pictures. :eek:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent news bud welcome back to the first gens they are gems.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Way to go man, congratulations. Can't wait to see some shots.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Congrats Dave, look forward to seeing her.

6. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Congratulations can't wait to see the car
    - - - Updated - - -
    sorry that reply appeared 4 times for some reason! My phone has had a wobble.

7. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Fantastic you went for the best car. Perfect model for those roads. Look forward to seeing it soon. Any 1st Generation info you need just ring me. CJ knows loads about 1st Generation Accords too we're both pretty well tooled up on them.

8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your comments guys,
    my wife bought me a set of seat covers for it certainly do not want to spoil the cloth , just one to fit on the rear seat base ,anyone got a idea how the base comes out ? seems to move up and down a bit but somethings locking it ? my trusty Haynes manual shows some levers that you press up but can"t find these,
    Also might have to replace the tyres , has the old SR rated ones on ,I'm thinking of putting 175/70 13s on just to make it look a bit better, Any thoughts/ Thanks

9. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Firestone 155/ 80 r13 are a comfy tyre. Keeps the best look and will not rub, 175 may hit the inner bulkhead on full lock. The rear bench has a 12mm bolt located in the centre, locking the base in place. Undo and she'll pop out lift and pull.

honda-accord-1980-3dr-std-kl-ka-kh-rear-seat-seat-belt_big00026352B__41_35f0.

10. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for this , i'm going to have to get me a decent workshop manual, seen some on ebay but all seem to be USA spec.
    Tomorrow hope to change the timing belt as no known history, sourced one through local dealers but could not get a tappet cover gasket and front wiper refills,or wipers.
    have a slight seepage from the cover I think the rubbers gone hard,not to sure will know more tomorrow,

11. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Everything and anything comes up all the time. I'll ask about for the gasket for you. New old stock one might be kicking about.

You'll have to post a picture of your odometer so everyone will wow at the mileage!

These are the best manuals for the car. 1980 is a must but also get the 76 through 79 edition as the car didn't change too much for this manual to be useful. Ebay is full of them.

9914700. 2-18-2011-10.

Last edited: Saturday 6th Sep, 2014
  12. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for this Chris,
    Did the cam belt today, old one did not look to bad but did not want to take any chances, cleaned the tappet cover gasket with brake cleaner and silicon back in place, did tappers, oil change, seems ok, gave it a run to the garage to top up fuel ready for its test, first time I have driven it, strange feeling with the gears I thought that the revs would drop off as the speed increased but this is not so, I suppose you learn to back off as soon as you can to keep the revs down,maybe fuel consumption is not so bad,will not be using it to much for concern anyway, loved driving this car bought back memories ,forgot how good those lights are,for a 1980 car the headlights are great.
    No FM radio is a pest, may have to do something there,will see, I feel a life long love affair starting.

accordheritage likes this.
  13. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Looking forward to some pictures of this wonderful example. Very glad this one has found a great home. :GoodJob: :Happy:

14. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

All the odds and ends done for her check on Tues morning, struggled with the wipers, could not get some to fit so have some Toyota refills in place for now .
    Our testing is so picky its always a gamble to get something passed depends who you get on the day but they are a law unto themselves even with a currant MOT that don,t mean nothing to them
    it seems they go out of their way to try and fail on the slightest of things, fingers crossed.

15. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Best of luck. It'll fly through. :Thumbup:

16. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had her test today and passed no problem, they were surprised to see one in this condition, recommended a change of tyres, something I was thinking of doing anyway so all 's well, going to sort the new plates on the weekend and get the tyres ordered. nice chap that did the test even got me a good reg number its going to be J80799 which tie's in to the era .

17. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Keep the old UK plate for its history and excellent choice on the new reg. Looking forward to some updated pics. Firestone 155 80 13 are a decent choice but I suppose on the island any tyre would suit.

18. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Going to keep the plates as they are the originals and I think if my memory serves me right they have the suppliers name on.
    Going to try a 175/70 -13 on one rim on Sat and see if they clear, these have the same aspect ratio as the SR tyres only about a inch wider ,will also keep the tyres as they are the original ones supplied .

19. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a update guys ,decided to keep it on its oe tyres for now, I took some pics last week but did not come out to good so hoping for better ones but weather over the weekend is not to clever, not forgotten ,will do just need a bit of time and dry weather.

20. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

photo 1.JPG Honda Karma 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG