Fuel Efficiency Accord Petrol Auto 2.4 LPG or Accord Diesel Auto

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by naslam968, Monday 5th Aug, 2013.

1. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Big Dilemma

Can't make up my mind either to buy

Honda Accord 2.4 06 LPG converted with 76000 miles
    or
    Honda Accord 2.2 08 Diesel with 112000 miles

Don't know which way to go because heard lots about

LPG not setup correctly could damage the engine
    Small LPG tank mean visit to LPG station more often
    Valve clearance check regularly
    Lost of spare wheel

Diesel Timing chain problem
    Noise of Diesel
    Smell of Diesel
    Heavy Black Smoke usually when accelerating hard

Any thought would me much appreciated.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hahaha, funny stuff, they all sound like good old asian rumours.

Anyways here we go, straight from an LPG installer and owner (talking about myself of course).
    During my 120K miles of LPG ownership across 2 Accords I have only checked value clearances once and even then they were pretty much within spec with only a couple needing minor adjustment. Also the inside of the engine was clean as whistle, you ever seen in the inside or come to thin of it even the outside of a diesel engine.

Next up small tank .. lots of visits to fill up. I have a 50 litre tank I can get 250-280 miles out of it. So all depends on what definition of small tank and regular trips is. I have no issues with the tank size or how often I have to fillup. What does put a smile on my face is the under £30 fillup for a tank.

LPG not setup correctly ?? Why would it not be not setup correctly ? Choose a reputable installer and reputable system and you won't have this issue. Also if it does go out of tune it'll throw a check engine light for fuel mixture in which case get the system checked and tuned properly.

Loss of spare wheel .. my spare wheel is still sat in the boot.

I drove a brand new Civic 2.2 I-DTEC for two whole months recently, even though it was new, I kept thinking damn I miss my 8 year old 2.4 LPG Accord !

With an LPG Accord you get the best of both worlds the refinement of a petrol engine coupled with the economy of a diesel.

And I'm not kidding about the economy, in the I-DTEC Civic a £70 fillup would get me something like 600 miles. But for £70 worth of LPG I can nearly get 600 miles anyway. The brand new 2.2 I-DTEC was only marginally better than '04 model 2.4 Accord !

Don't listen to hearsay, ask the people in the know (as you have done) :Smile:

Add to the above the solid reliability of the K24 versus all the potential wallet eating problems on the diesel and I'd say it's a no contest.

Last edited: Monday 5th Aug, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  3. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Very thoughtful response with detailed info regarding LPG.

I had Honda Odyssey 2.2 95 with LPG from 2004 till 2010 with 64000 miles in that period, so fully familiar with benefit of LPG. However reason for having doubts are reading so much about people having issue's regarding the incorrect install. Once the doubt slip into human mind it takes longer to get rid of it. Never been in doubt before when it came to do anything to with car and its first time I can't make my mind.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What do you now about converted Accord your looking at ?

Things you want to know when was the install done ? Who was done by ? What system was used ? Is it on the UKLPG Register ?

If it's not on the UKLPG register and it's only got a paper certificate (or even worse no certificate) then it will have been converted by a small local garage. So chances of that being a decent install are pretty slim.

Also 76K sounds a bit low to be selling a converted car at. If someone's forked out money for a conversion they normally keep it for a fair while and put a fair few miles on it before selling it on.

5. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Drop the idea buying converted LPG car

already have 2003 model with 78000 miles with full service history which I have discussed with Accord Owners Club to have it done or do the convert myself.

Been quoted £799.00 for Lvato system with 2 years parts and labour warranty
    Also quoted £1100 for BRC system with 2 years parts and labour warranty

Both come with 1000 miles free check up, UKLPG Vehicle register and approved installer certificate

If can be advised on which system to go for will be much appreciated.

I had Bigas in my previous car Honda Odyssey and had few issues in 5 Years usage so want to go for better system.