General Accord Replacement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sturgi, Tuesday 3rd Feb, 2015.

1. sturgi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

image. image.

Well sadly the Accord has gone as we move to a one car family and need an estate so we now own this, at least it's quick.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Congrats on the new car, don't mean to demean your new purchase. But that interior looks so cheap and tacky :Lipsrsealed:

3. sturgi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Red stitching would not of been my 1st choice but what I do like is having less clutter with not having buttons everywhere and voice control that knows what is loaded in my phone book.

4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I've always liked the VRS. Not so much of a bargain nowadays though - you pay top money.

Enjoy it.

5. monkeyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

harlow
    no doubt a good car but look all the same to me could be anyone of number of cars , prefer the more evolutionary individual style cars like the newer Civics and the older cars from 70s & 80s

6. sturgi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My good lady has a 8th Generation Civic but the 1.8 engine in the estate did not have enough get up and go so sadly did not make the cut. The Octavia although a standard eurobox had everything we wanted for a good cost and has plenty of get up and go.

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Do like the look of these and the VRS should of plenty of pull, but they do seem expensive for a Skoda!

Out of interest if there was new Accord available would you have gone for that? I'm wondering how many people will be switching to other brands because of Accord being dumped.

8. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    I love the Skoda brand, but agree, prices have crept of lately meaning it competes with more "premium" brands making the decision to buy the "underdog" of the VW stable, a hard one.

I'd class it above Seat now and on par with VW in terms of premium-ness within the VAG group; before it was the sensible choice and you felt like you had got something great for very little money, that know one else knew about - now its a desirable car and in my opinion, has lost its niche.

I had a 2002 Octavia vRS 1.8T that was lovely, and before that a 2003 Fabia Vrs which again, was a great car.

I would consider going back, nothing against the brand, but I'm not overly impressed with the styling on the newer gen models. I considered one when I bought my accord.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I wouldn't class VW as premium, its a mass producing mainstream brand just like your Fords and Toyota's, its the German equivalent of those two. I think Skoda has become much like Kia and Hyundai, they are meant to be budget brands, but they have become expensive, on the plus side they tend to offer good deals so the price somewhat comes down and is attractive to buyers.

Still would never buy one though, not because of the brand or anything, but they are too dull to drive, same with the Korean brands,, the original Octavia Vrs is a good example, it got a lot of hype as a left field performance bargain, but very very dull car, uninvolving chassis based on the uber dull 4th Generation golf, dull handling and a characterless turbo lump from the Golf, at least it was cheaper than the Golf! I think what they did well was with the Superb, it made a good large cheap comfy motorway cruiser.

sturgi likes this.
  10. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    I'm not saying the Skoda is a premium car, I was just referring to its relative premium-ness in the VAG group.

Also, I had quite a bit of fun in the Octavia Vrs, great cruiser too and the engine, albeit simple and blunt, wasn't a dull experience by any means. Interior plastics left a lot to be desired though and its in the places where you don't always look that it really looked cheap, like the boot plastics and the parcel shelf. The new ones however, look to have really brought the quality up a few notches.

The original Vrs no M3, granted, but for a £3,000 car you could use everyday, is was perfectly acceptable.

Would I have bought one new for £16k, no. But I wouldn't have paid £27k for my Honda Accord either.

exec likes this.
  11. sturgi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

For me the car gives us what we need as a family, it is 6 months old and a lot less than when it was new, the level of kit is very good with a couple of extras. Additional functionality can be activated via VCDS, they are not cheap these days but a fair amount less than VW and Audi. Plus it puts a smile on my face when it picks up the pace, if the new Accord had come to the UK and the estate had a good sized boot it would of been on my list.

exec likes this.
  12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have never understood where VW got this "Premium" tag from. In fact I would place Ford way above VW in terms of cabin material quality and engineering levels. Drive a Focus then drive a Golf..... Focus is light years ahead.

I've always been less than impressed every time I have been in a VW. They feel fairly crude, Spartan and basic to me. Seats are woeful and give me back ache whereas Honda seats are the opposite end of the spectrum the last word in comfort.

However the motoring press would never admit that as they're too VW obsessed.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Indeed, I had a brand new zipcar Touran for a day and a Golf for a few hours last year and was left severely underwhelmed. The Touran in all honestly wasn't that bad, it drove well, diesel engine was strong and surprisingly the handling was great for what is essentially a van, very little body roll. But like you I found the seats awful, they are really uncomfortable and after a long journey i had a back ache, the pedals also are set very high which is uncomfortable, and the driving position was just awkward, not sure how to describe it, but I felt I was sitting diagnol.

Then the Golf, it was a 1.2 TSI, one of those fancy small engine turbocharged with a high power output for size, it felt as fast as my Accord, which for a 1.2 is impressive, but there was a noticeable delay tag because of Turbo and it was DSG autobox, but once you put your foot down it shifted quickly. But the car was utterly bland, it felt more bodyroll than the Touran.. oddly, and the interior was very average. I really don't get the hype, its all put togother nicely and feels solid, but so do every other new car these days and the materials was what you expect in any other car So i don't really get why the press laud it over others, I actually find my 6th Generation much nice inside, the materials and all, the Golf actually has some cheap bits here and there, the silver metallic effect plastic on center dash felt cheap, the seats were OK, the instrument binnacle is awful, way too much stuffed in and the speedometer is tiny, can't see what speed your doing without squinting, the interior has a very horrible plane like ambience, it drones like in a plane, some sort of odd sound deadening they must use, i felt my ears were blocked! This probably sounds so biased, but honestly when I go back in my Accord after each time having those cars, it feels so nice, not only inside is it, the seats, the dash, the layout, the positioning, but just driving the car too, it's why I find it hard to let go and why I would never buy a Golf or the like as a main car. I also tried a prev gen Avensis few weeks back, what an awful gearbox and clutch those have, worse than VAG's, the gearstick lever system feels like a plastic stick with no feel and the clutch is some squigy fisher price toy like thing.

Sometime you don't realise just how good Honda's are, or were....

John Dickson and FirstHonda like this.
  14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I agree that sometimes you forget just how good Honda is until you are in another car for a while.

15. sturgi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm not saying they are no good which is why we got the Skoda it's just Honda did not have a car that matched our needs. The thing with most car companies is they have numerous models with different engine choices and budgets something Honda in the UK just don't offer at the moment which is a real shame. Also there are a number of Honda owners that won't buy the cars made in Swindon, which while I would agree they did not feel as well screwed together as the Japanese cars I think the latest models are loads better, my wife's 8th Generation Civic rattled and squeaked but the 9th Generation I had on loan was loads better. I think HUK has lost its way and maybe Honda Japan should take control and build the brand up again and go back to off the wall advertising like the Cog and the 8th Generation Civic ads.

Hopefully in a few years time Honda have a car that fits our needs and I can comeback to the fold.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I was commenting in general and not at anyone. I totally agree with you with the lack of choices at Honda, and would have done the same as you too, it just goes to show how wrong HUK are with their mentality, they lost a potential customer in you and no doubt plenty of others who will be switching. The Skoda should be a good car, and looks like you got good value, so enjoy it.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Totally agree, John.

I find the media obsession with VW baffling. In fact, I find their comments about VW "quality" and "class" so at odds with my own experience, that I now take the view that there must be another VW brand that they are driving, different to the ones that I have owned and used - and broken - frequently.

What I also find odd, is that Skoda tend to come out much higher in customer surveys than VW. I guess partly that could be down to lower owner expectations, and/or better dealerships.

Whenever I've looked at Skoda cars I've always found them to be more honest, somehow, although I agree that the pricing is starting to get a bit optimistic. The specification levels are falling too, things that I would expect to be standard needing to be added as extras, at significant cost. At least the Korean marques specify their cars fully, IMO, so their gradual price increases feel more justified (and their warranties are long, and their quality has improved a LOT over the past few years).

^^Me too. I hope the Skoda serves you well @sturgi

John Dickson likes this.