Electrical & Lights Accord Tourer Power Tailgate won't open

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Thursday 2nd Feb, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys I had a bizarre incident in the evening whilst working in the garage.

There I was in my garage cleaning up and putting some parts away when a chap in his 8th Generation Tourer pulled and asked if I was Honda technician?. I said no to which he said come on you got all this Honda signs up and I have seen you working on your cars.. :Whistle:

To which I said sheepishly ok the games is up ..how can I help. He showed me his mint 2011 Tourer in black and found on pressing the tailgate button the boot will not open. No beep, no audible warning nor could you hear motor engaging :Aghast:

That got me thinking this looks like a total failure or simple blown fuse. Straight into the garage whipped out the HDS and HIM and put the kettle on. Scanned the car and found the Front near side door window not working and few tailgate specific DTC.

I did some tailgate specific hard coded commands by the HDS to initiate some sort of force intervention.. not a thing. I then carried out a Tailgate ECU reset still nothing ..this is getting complex by the minute.

I diverted my attention to this N/S/F door and pulled up the wiring diagram on the workshop manual to see if there was a relation to the tailgate. On reading up and seeking out how the multiplex command were sent it became apparent the electrical multiplexing commands are sent via passenger side window switch. Removed the door card pulled out the switch to find it really tacky and sticky..

Asked the owner if they had spilt something on the switch he said yes the partners spilt half a can of fizz drink on the switch a week ago and ever since the tailgate has not working.

Bingo!! found the culprit

Stuart was very impressed that I found the source of the problem he will his car at the local dealers tomorrow for a replacement switch.

I have asked him to join up on the forum so he can tell you his tale .

hondream likes this.
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CJ to the rescue again:cool:

4. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brilliant CJ. Wish I lived near you

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks guys I haven't heard from Stuart yet , if I hear from him I will update you guys.

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    clear sum of ure pm's bud. caunt message you lol

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Beefy cleared my PM box. all ears I did get your last PM thou.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    lol pm sent

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    you going to do me out of a job!!!!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't see that happening I bud:Whistle: when it comes to my car repairs I take it to HH ,half the time I am polishing my tools rather than using them. You could say I am lazy when it comes to my cars but not lazy on routine maintenance schedules.

11. herohonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Il be bringing my accord down to you for sure once i get one!

Do run a garage doing servicing etc? Im new on here, sorry if I've missed a thread on it somewhere.

12. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've compeltely missed this thread mate. The story sounds like something out of Car Mechanics magazine where they feature articles from a real garage that are a bit unusual.

Herohonda, CJ doesn't have a garage but is an expert when it comes to all things Honda. The equipment he has is what he has purchased himself and are all genuine Honda. He (and the rest of the mods) all share a common goal to help members for no financial gain to ourselves. That's what makes AOC unique! :Smile:

13. herohonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wow, thats fantastic!!!! Alot of respect for that, can we not donate or make contribution for their time and effort put into it?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guess who dropped by this morning just before I was leaving to work , Stuart he has sold his accord and has moved houses due to changing circumstances in his life.

He came to say thanks and gave his reasons for not registering on the forum..but after the switch was replaced at the dealers the tailgate started to work.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if you want to buddy then by all means to the upkeep of the site , but this community not about lining ones pocket.

SpeedyGee likes this.