ICE & HFT Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Sunday 3rd Jun, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How many of the 8th Generation owners are aware the 8th Generation has this hidden gem as a standard feature?

Its an effective method of reducing low frequency noise in the interior.The system operates whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the audio system is on or off.

Hand up if people were aware of this?

2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wasn't aware I had ambient lighting till a few months back so I had no clue about this feature.:Wassat: Is there any more details on it? Is there any way to check its working correctly?

I just turn the stereo up to 30 normally to keep any kind of noise out to be honest.:Thumbup:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Jace,

The system is so simple it works the simple test is if you have a decibel meter to detect the 10db drop the system generates. 10 db is a lot for driver comfort and over longer journeys it does lower driver fatigue. On the new facelift or model revision the ANC has better results as the noise insulation has been improved and the noise reduction is around 14db.

Anyway this is how the system works

The audio system on our 8th Generation Accord includes an active noise cancellation (ANC) system to cancel some of the vehicle noise . The unit responsible to interpret the signals sit behind the center console, it nothing fancy it like black box. The audio unit receives the engine speed pulse (NEP) from the ECU and outputs a sine-wave-sound through the audio speakers to cancel low-frequency noise from the engine. The ANC system also uses two microphones to detect which are located in the roof console and monitor low frequency noise in the passenger compartment.

The microphones feed information back to the audio unit which adjusts the speaker output to reduce the noise. The ANC also receives input from the door open/close signal. Anytime a door is opened, the ANC system temporarily stops working.:Wink:

A diagram explaining how it works.

ANC AOCUK.JPG

bijomaru likes this.
  4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi CJ, I actually have a decibel meter for calibrating my home cinema so Ill see if it does anything in the car when I turn the engine over. Either way its a cool feature to have.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nice one bud please do post your finding , would love to know what the real life reductions.

6. bobbybliss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Rob Heerhugowaard
    Great find! How do you even find this stuff? And why don't Honda advertise any of these cool features? I found an article on honda.co.nz, but other than that, nothing.

Does this apply to all 8th Generation Accords? Or only the newest models? What's your source?

Edit: 10 dB seems like an awful lot! It's probably only in certain frequencies...

Last edited: Monday 4th Jun, 2012
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi bobby this is advertised by Honda but they should make more of an emphasis this feature. The source of this information is accurate it's from Honda. All 8th Generation have this feature and it only work on low noise frequencies 10db is from Honda internal assessment weather that is measured in real life or an acoustic chamber is a guess. We will wait for jase assessment with his meter ..

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I didnt know about this TBH
    At the moment tyre noise is horrible on my car,no amount of noise cancelling would help:lol:
    Time for new tyres.

9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I used my db meter and I got 39db with the engine off. 51db with it on and 51db with the door open slightley. So whilst staionary it doesnt seem to work.

The meter i used is a cheap one off ebay which is meant to read down to 31.5 hz

The only time I've noticed my car to be unusually quite is at speed so maybe its more effective then?

tomwillie likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jase what if do the same experiment with the all windows up and just tune in the radio set the volume at zero.

That will kick in the ANC take before and after then :Wink:

11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I tried this again, still with the windows up and the stereo set to zero, with the engine on and off, the door shut and open slightly. It still did nothing :Unknown: Oh well.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Rolf: epic fail. Honda says otherwise.