Engine & Gearbox ADAS install on non-ADAS EX possible?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by nightspider, Tuesday 18th Dec, 2012.

1. nightspider New Member Getting Started

london
    Hi All,

Just got my 2.4 Ex which is amazing to drive. Then realised there was this ADAS system which was an extra option.

Can it be installed after?

Or is it only when ordering?

Many thanks in advance

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi and welcome.

Suppose anything can be fitted if you try hard enough, however, the sheer cost and complexity of buying the ADAS system and then fitting it makes it nigh on impossible.

Thats why it was a factory build option and not post-build option.

You'd be better off chopping your car in a finding an ADAS-equipped car to be honest. ADAS is not just one system. Its several.

Collision Mitigation, Lane Keep Assist, Active Cruise Control, seat belt warnings, radar management, Xenon lights set up etc - the list is nigh on endless, hence why it will, in my view, never be able to retrofit this to a non-ADAS car.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi welcome nightspider,the ADAS is a factory fit option only as Saj as suggested the man hours required to retro fit will make the entire kit so expensive it's not economical. The factory option is 2000 quid worth every single penny.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I highly suspect the factory costs may well have been subsidised too.

If you look at the inferior systems that are now being copied by crap car makers like Vauxhall, Fraud, BMW (lol) and Mercedes, they are far higher priced and even more limited in capability.

Buying the ADAS components could easily cost north of £5000 if you priced the entire set up - that doesnt include fitting/integration/alignment/testing etc to make sure it functions as it should.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ofcourse they will be as it bought in bulk and part bought individually will be extremely expensive.From my days in Honda to construct a new Honda via spare parts the cost is three time the cost of the car :Aghast:.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That doesnt surprise me in the least.

7. nightspider New Member Getting Started

london
    Thanks all for the info very much appreciated :Smile:

ahhh well I guess I will wait for the new Accord in a couple of years. Still love my 8th Generation non-ADAS

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hm, well, a "new" 9th Generation Accord is very much up for debate here in the UK!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Woodman Welcome to AOC please make note of this thread.

Kindly use the forum for such queries . I will remove your blog

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi CJ

I know ADAS was always an optional extra on EX 2.4 and 2.2 models.

However, I'm sure I've read somewhere that post 2011 facelift, it was extended as an option to the 2.0 EX. I'm certain I've seen this in the 2012 Accord brochure but misplaced my copy and reluctant to go and ask for another or order another as I'll have Sales straight on the phone. However the Car Builder on Honda's website suggests that ADAS is still only available on 2.4 and 2.2 EX. The car builder also suggests there are more colours available across the range than the brochure. Brochure suggests non Type-S cars come in very limited colours only - Alabaster Silver, Polished Metal and Crystal Black only I think. The other colours are marked as special order on Type-S only. You'd hope the brochure would be more up to date as this will be getting looked at more by speculative customers when they walk round various manufacturers' dealerships.

Cheers :Thumbup:

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Found my copy of 2012 Accord brochure and I must've read it wrong as it says ADAS not an option on 2.0 EX. Sure I read it had been made option on 2.0 somewhere thought. Must've just been wishful thinking :lol::Whistle:

12. salopian adas Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

take my advice ,steer well clear of the ADAS system, I have a 2.4 ex auto with ADAS, have been plagued with intermittent orange warning lights , local dealer is completely useless, keep resetting fault codes,and teling me what codes are in the system, I could tell them that, what they can't do is diagnose which sensor/s are faulty. I have just done a 500 mile trip down south spread over a weekend with lots of stops, all orange info lights on permanently. dealer has one last chance, have told them either sort it out, or if they don,t know what they are doing,leave it to a dealer who does. car has only done 16k on 08 plate but spent more time at Honda!! what is the point of developing these hi tech systems if they can,t be fixed . car incidently is covered by Honda warranty still, and I have been assured that ongoing work to sort problem outside of warranty period will be f.o.c. I suspect I may have to contact Honda uk to buck up local dealer.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

While I do hope you can get these issues sorted out, it would appear from my view at least, that your dealer probably has not had much, if any experience with ADAS systems and is why they are failing to cure the problem(s).

You should speak to Honda UK and would perhaps suggest you see another dealer altogether - if nothing else, a second opinion could just be what the doctor ordered. Please do keep us informed of progress and fingers crossed you get it remedied.

As a side note, I've had no issues at all with the ADAS system - functions exactly how it is supposed to.

14. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

CJ was saying if the windscreen gets changed and not fitted correctly it can cause ADAS problems, also the wipers removed and reset in the wrong position can cause issues. The whole system needs calibrating when a screen is changed as the camera sensor won't be pointing in the right direction or something like that.

I'd give Honda customer services a ring and get one of their engineers to visit the dealer and sort it.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^

Yes calibration across the ADAS system is vital otherwise it doesnt function correctly. (Thats why I was somewhat reassured when HH did my sports body kit and calibrated the ADAS system once the front sports bumper was in place).

16. salopian adas Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

car been back in to dealer today ,they say only code in system this time was rear wheel ABS sensor faulty which was the same one they reset last time. part to be changed tomorrow so hopefully problem solved, time will tell. had it out with dealer about same faults re-occurring outside of warranty period as this issue has been ongoing for 10 months now, they said would not be covered and I could purchase a further warranty!! told them b****ocks basically and will be taking up issue with Honda uk

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Please make a note of the Honda discussion policy on AOCUK.

I will not agree with you on any level with that assertion I can back all my comments at any length. This statement is baseless and ridiculous. In my opinion it the best in active and passive safety implementation I have seen and miles better than the competition.
    Sorry for being blunt Honda has made a massive achievement in this field and I will make it my mission to challenge anyone on this.

This is unfortunate, not all Honda dealers have master Honda technicians nor the exposure to the ADAS system but I was plagued by this issue when I got my car but soon realised I was doing something wrong too. Yes I am technically minded and have a higher threshold to experience faults and have a dealer whose technical capabilities are as good as any race team on the BTCC grid. In your case it is unfortunate your dealer has been unable to give you reassurances to the issues
    Right you have strong issues with this technology and the dealer which I suggest you take with the dealer or Honda customer services to get a better resolution to the issues . Venting here will get short shrift we want proactive solutions on AOC. not whinging! You want to vent your anger get to Honda UK . If you want solutions in clam manner then we need to notch down the assault at HONDA. However we have heard your side of the story but can you be brutally honest here.
    I need the answers to these questions
    1) Has your car had a windscreen change if so please attach picture of windscreen around the middle rear view mirror ?
    2) Minor even the slight hit with a football on the front end of the car ?
    3) What tyres are you using , rating make and tyre and pictures of tyres on the car/
    4) Has anything on the front of your car changed?

You need to stop speaking to the front staff and demand to speak to the service manager and demand they involve DTS Dealer Technical services. The dealer should be able to provide DTS your case history for expert guidance,

If you get stuck please ask on the forum I am willing to spend hours on this for you provided you are ready ..if its point of no return then my doors are closed too.

Can’t be fairer than that!

Have alook at these threads

Suspension, Steering and Brakes - 8th Generation ADAS • Honda Karma
    Tyres & Wheels - LKAS error on Dash • Honda Karma
    Electrical & Lights - Honda Accord LKAS warning light on dashboard • Honda Karma
    Tyres & Wheels - Honda Accord tyre size ,selecting the correct tyre for your car • Honda Karma

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  18. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think your being a bit hard on salopian ADAS CJ...

He is advising to stay clear of ADAS based on his experience, being messed around by his dealer, this is the 'base' of his statement and opinion.

No one is saying ADAS is a bad system, its just his dealer has totally failed to solve the fault, so the dealer and arguably Honda UK are at fault for not training the dealership staff properly to support ADAS.

They seem to have an attitude that the car is out of warranty, even though the fault occurred in warranty, so they don't give a toss.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Slaopian very clearly said take my advise and stay well clear of ADAS.

Systems like ADAS rely on telemetry and if any of that telemetry is even slightly out, the built in systems will fall back and disable the system.
    You need competent qualified personnel to diagnose the all the sensors and related setup to work out what is wrong. Obviously this dealership does not possess the right knowlegable people to look into the ADAS issues.

Its the dealership and not the ADAS system that is fault here.

If I were looking for a newer gen car, one of my prerequisuites would be an ADAS system. I imagine its the same for some other people too, however, if they read a member saying what Salopian said, then they would wrongly put off what is generally an extremely reliable and useful feature.

Last edited: Wednesday 10th Apr, 2013
  20. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Doesnt matter how good the system is, if there isnt any decent support for it, its useless.

Just another headache for a used Accord owner to sort out.

For what it is I think its overpriced if you look at similar systems from other Manufacturers. I probably wouldn't buy a used car with it, as its something else to go wrong. New car under warranty would be ok.

I know its not a popular opinion on here, but Honda isnt perfect, like any car manufacturer really.

Prepare to be shot down in flames...aargh!