General AdBlocking and Avoiding Cookie Tracking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heckler, Sunday 20th Mar, 2016.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Jeez... I wouldn't trust that site with a barge pole... 12 tracking cookies and 8 scripts it wants to run. None of which can be identified. It then employs some dodgy measures to try and force you to disable ad blockers... Yeah, like I'm going to open up my machine to malware vectors.

2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    never gave me a problem in over a year, I never get the stuff you're on about, must be your browser

Tracking_My_Cookies.

3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No... it's entirely down to the fact you have NO protection against these things. I never said it wouldn't work... it's that to get it to work you have to be ok with having 8 unknown scripts being run and be perfectly ok with 12 cookies tracking your every move around the web and reporting back on what sites you visit.

4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

oh my, I must be so dumb about the internet, gosh you are my hero

legend-ary likes this.
  5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

hey if you're happy with it... good for you... Doesn't make the facts any different. Some people are perfectly happy being blissfully unaware and/or wilfully ignorant... It's your computer and your choice... All I can do is try to educate. :Smile:

Nels likes this.
  6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't call it "educate", I'd call it "alarmist".

It depends on the platform one uses, the browser, and the browser settings

What that site attempts to run (unsuccessfull) is not unusual at all

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    So don't watch the video. Why comment? This is not Unix central or is it? Oh and do you run AdBlocker for HK?

ps. its 'touch with a barge pole' not 'trust with a barge pole'

jimjams likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you going to analyse every link people post @Heckler?

Let's not spoil the thread now huh

jimjams likes this.
  9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I must admit that he does have a slight point (maybe I should have given instructions)

I go to many sites in Chrome in "incognito mode" ...that site in particular

Be careful how you remove the ads on the streaming "visual" area, there are hidden x's that you have to find (usually two) but don't click the "standard" x's. If you do the latter, it's not the end of the world anyway.

As I say, I've been using it for over a year, not had any side effects from it (I've even clicked the "standard" x's by mistake), and there are many other things in the internet that are worse, including Google itself and Facebook and Youtube (unless you take the time to opt out etc etc but you lose all the opt outs if you clear all your cookies)

10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thought this was about the F1 Grand Prix not bloody Armageddon!!!!!!!

exec and jimjams like this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That was my point too @MickyB

It's a valid (and interesting) discussion but discuss it in a separate thread, don't go spoiling multiple threads.

If you want I can move the Cookie Tracking related posts above into a new thread ?

MickyB likes this.
  12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ yeah do that
    - - - Updated - - -
    I was going to add the results of the race, I'll wait.

MickyB likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

MickyB likes this.
  14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    My biggest fear while I'm merrily browsing the internet picking up unwanted junk is that I'll accidentally find a website showing F1... Surely the most mind-numbingly boring form of motorsport ever created!

jimjams and SpeedyGee like this.
  15. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi guys
    As a IT tech, when i was on a course not solong ago this product (Ghostery, https://www.ghostery.com/) was recomended for blocking web adds etc just install the web browser extension for your browser. Been using it for a while now and it will block adds which you can allow or not as you seem fit, also an extra layer of security if you use on line banking etc Santander - Bank | Trusteer

John

jimjams likes this.
  16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It wasn't always like it is now, in the 90's it was very different, I saw Senna win at Donington in 93

Zebster likes this.
  17. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    One of the best first laps ever

18. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ married with a 3-year-old and a new baby, plus a huge mortgage thanks to Nigel Lawson (90-92 recession and 15% interest rates) meant that £120 for a covered stand was out of the question, and had to borrow £55 for the trackside enclosures ticket with some guys from work. Ended up near Starkeys Bridge (there was a crowded bar where you could stay a bit dry). Couldn't see much unless you walked away a few hundred yards from that area, saw Senna go past in 2nd on the 1st lap, then went past in 1st on the 2nd lap. It was difficult to follow what was going on, with the rain and the echo from the PA system, but god those cars were loud, spine tingling when they went past. Freezing cold but loved it. Silverstone in 2006 and 2010 was nice weather, nothing like as exhilarating, but still very loud down at the trackside.

legend-ary likes this.