General Addtional Sound Proofing / Insulation

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Accord_N22, Sunday 4th Oct, 2015.

1. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi All,
    The 7th Generation accord is quite refined but there is still is quite abit of road noise when on the motorway on the rough stuff.

Has anyone looked into adding additional sound proofing to make the car quieter. Its not too much of an issue but if its an easy upgrade I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Is it worth improving the sound insulation or would it cost quite a bit?
    I found these guys which apparently supply a pre-cut insulation kit for £200

Car Soundproofing Full Kit - NK Group

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We have a few resident audiophiles on here they will surface soon.

3. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    I installed a double layer of bitumen style sound proofing in the front doors. Made the speakers sound much better, but didn't do much for the road noise. If you do decide to go the soundproof kit, make sure you test decibel levels before and after so we know if works :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I and @Nighthawk have talked about this quite a bit, I'll be doing it to mine one day. On a thread somewhere he wrote quite a big write-up about materials and such.

6. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    2 friends of mine used 3M automotive NVH they applied it on the wheel fenders and doors with good results. And the good part is that is light.

Products: Acoustics (NVH)

7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I think most folks concentrate on the wheel arches, wings and sills. Also making sure all the factory window and door seals fit tight. Sound matting in the doors helps with the quality of speaker sound but does little for road noise from what I've been told. A lot of it is to focus on the type of noise and where its coming from for example the pinging of rain on the roof is excessive you pull the headliner and put sound proofing material on the roof, splashing wheel arches and so on.

8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    There is an APP for iPad that measures noise levels "Decibel 10th" that gives readings which agree closely with a purpose noise meter I have.
    Also consider using Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres which have ratings of: B fuel, A wet grip & 67dB noise.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The biggest area for noise creation is the boot. Being a big open area with only interior trim being between the wheel arch thin bit of metal, sound just bounces around.

I think my write up was in @RogerH69 Civic thread. Will have a good look when I get my pc back online which should be today if BT get their act in gear

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    My Civic has had sound deadening, as well as some sound proofing foam installed in all the doors, and this has made a noticeable affect on the speakers. It's made a small improvement in the road noise as well.

I've bought myself a bunch of Silent Coat 2mm Sound Deadening as well as some Silent Coat Isolator Foam, which I will be using to cover my entire boot area. I will start with the main boot area, and spare wheel well, and if any is left over, with then do the tailgate and wheel arches. It's just a matter of getting up off my lazy arse and doing it :Smile:

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    On the note of the boot @Nighthawk, did you ever drive my ATR when it had no rear seats in? Jesus was it loud, I was surprised what a huge difference it made.

12. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    My car will shortly be tested for road noise using a professional spl meter. . Then the car will be recorded while undergoing the full sound deadening treatment, , boot. Door . Roof. The lot..
    Then tested again

Should be within the next 2-3 weeks. . Will post before and after results if anyone interested. . .

The bonus of it all it is the importer of the product that will be doing all the work. . . . I was happy to offery car as the test car :Grin:

13. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks for the input guys.
    Lots of experiences there. I do agree that a lot of the cabin noise seems to come from the boot. I had the seats folded down one a journey and the noise coming from the boot area was quite immense.
    The spare wheel well is not insulated and is bare metal so a lot of vibrations must travel from there. The wheel arches on the accord is sound proofed on behind the boot trim in the boot area but theres a lot of bare metal around there.

I do have some very quite tyres (blue responses) which do help a hell of a lot. Very smooth and refined ride with these tyres. Also having the tyres at the correct air pressure also helps. Having them too high can induce more road noise.

What I do find surprizing is that a vw Passat is quite abit nosier than that Accord but people still class them as refined.

14. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I put soundproofing inside of the wheel arch. That helped alot

15. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Can you expand on this?

16. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    SpeedyGee likes this.