Service & Maintenance advice buying FR-V

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by jas95aero, Tuesday 25th Jun, 2013.

1. jas95aero New Member Getting Started

Hi guys need advice, looking to replace my ageing but excellent vw sharan 1.9 tdi, there is a FR-V nearby but with high miles that are mostly motorway.

The chap has had it from new and has got service history but i've not personally checked it out yet or car(looking to do that this week)

Just wondered what miles these engines do, what to look out for and any tips

The car has done 166k and its a 2005 55 reg, cruise control and leather, obviously bit owrn inside but im only chucking kids in anyway so not worried about that side.

Also it has never towed but i will be using it to tow a caravan as heard the 2.2 is a good train.

any help usefull thanks
  2. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Make sure that the clutch isn't slipping for a start. I'm my opinion, the 2.2 diesel is a great engine. My FR-V is my second car with the 2.2 following a Civic and the engine has never let me down in either car. I can't imagine driving the FR-V which is fairly heavy car without the extra torque that the 2.2 provides.
  3. jas95aero New Member Getting Started

ok thanks yeah, how long clutch usually last on these? what sort of cost for replacement
  4. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A new clutch and flywheel would cost near to £600 for parts only. My FR-V is on 47k and has shown no sign of slipping. My old 2.2 Civic was up to 57k and slipped occasionally although I was more prone to pushing it harder :Blushing:
  5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

At that mileage if its not had a clutch and flywheel then I'd personally make sure I had a grand spare as towing with it will put a lot of strain on it. Also listen carefully for rattling from the timing chain early I-CTDIs suffered from this so I expect frvs can too and also cracked manifold but at that mileage that's bound to have been done. Check all the paperwork he has if its had clutch and manifold she will probably be a good motor like anything look after it decent oil is a must 0-30 so check that on his invoices and it'll go forever my accord is on 167k and that mileage doesn't worry me at all.

See if its got the shorter aux drive belt on it too, basically anything in the 7th Generation diesel faults section that relates to the engine will relate to the FR-V as well so have a look through that.
  6. jas95aero New Member Getting Started

Ok thanks for the info :Thumbup: