Pre-Purchase Advice needed - petrol or diesel?

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Texmexpol, Wednesday 20th Aug, 2014.

1. Texmexpol Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm a newbie here, lliving in Poland, but from the US. I already own a 96 Civic, but looking for a CR-V. I've narrowed it down to the 05/06 model. I have two very good choices right now:
    2005 2.0 petrol with 60,000 miles (cloth seats)
    2005 2.2 diesel with 90,000 miles (leather seats)

Other than the upholstery, they are almost identical, even in price.

I drive less than 15,000 miles per year, so my guess is the petrol model. I was looking at diesels partly because most of the petrol models have no cruise control. :Frown: But the one mentioned above has it. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Make sure the diesel has full service history and at the correct mileage intervals, at 90k you will need a clutch, and all the other running gear changing soon. so factor that in.As for the Petrol look at the colour of the engine oil on the dipstick and take the oil filter cap off, the internals should be golden brown a darker shade of colour it’s no good.

Petrol wins all the time every time, diesel well you need to buy them brand new, second hand diesel are not reliable personally.

3. Texmexpol Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the input. I was all ready to buy a diesel, but began having some doubts. Still thinking...

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    make sure you get the right diesel fella, they have a habit to chew your head off if you buy a lemon. Do you have a mate locally who knows honda diesels really well as you need someone with the knowedlege to look for all of the weak spots before you part with your dosh.

5. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I have an 05 diesel I bought it last November with 148000 miles on it, yes I took a bit of a chance at that mileage but it runs lovely, I think it might need a clutch in the near future as it sometimes slips. I bought the diesel for the torque for towing and I wanted something completely different to my Concerto. I don't have any experience of the petrol but I imagine it is less sedate with the higher reving engine, the diesel can cruise comfortably at motorway speeds at 2000 RPM.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If your prospective diesel has been looked after, full service history with the correct interval and type of oil, the engine is good for many more years.
    If this is not the case, walk away.
    (I have had an I-CDTI Accord for 9+ and it's great. Bought at 1 year old)

As for petrol, Ichiban's advice is spot on.

7. Texmexpol Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks everyone. I've taken your advice, Ichiban. No diesel for me. So, I'll start the hunting process all over again.