General Advice on buying a Civic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hsyasin, Monday 23rd May, 2016.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hey chaps,
    my friend is looking for a cheap and cheap to run second car for his wife.. and I've been pushing him towards honda.. and now he's narrowed it down to a Civic 1.4 or 1.6 and between 03 to 06.. And when he buys, as I've done tons of works on my accord and have got all the relevant tools, have offered him that any problem comes, u just buy the part and i'll fix ur car for u.. and that hondas r very reliable and cheapish to run..
    so what do u guys suggest to check when i go and buy a Civic and r there any club members thinking about selling...i think he's probably looking in £1000-2000 range.

2. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    They are actually solid cars. I would suggest checking when the timing belt was changed as that's not a simple job and you don't want it to snap

Garrydhu likes this.
  3. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Nice motors all told, one thing to look out for, the input shaft bearing on the 1.4/1.6 gearboxes can go bad. Make sure to listen out for noises and that gear engagement is smooth.

If you hear anything, have a listen with the car running in neutral. If the noise stops when you press the clutch it will be the gearbox, if it continues it is likely the clutch thrust bearing.

legend-ary likes this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    02-06 or 7th Generation Civic is a solid piece of car and for the range you can end up with a very neat 1.6 or a bit worn out 2.0 Type-S. I would avoid the 1.4 as its a bit too underpowered for the car of Civic's size.

What to look out for? Well first of all - THE GEARBOX!
    They whine, they crunch, they jump out of gears (1st and 3rd most commonly) so make sure you get one with a fully working box. Try it out at town speeds, accelerate hard in 3rd and see if it comes out and then test on motorway.. if you hear any whine from it walk away as it will cost you £400 + cost of clutch as that is recommended when the box is off

Secondly as @DrSam says, check when timing belt was done D16Z1 is probably the only Honda motor in recent memory that came with timing belt so that should have been changed.

Thirdly I would say check of operation of cooling system i.e radiator etc. I see plenty of these cars come up for sale with blown head gaskets as a radiator pipe clips rust and hose pops off etc overheating the engine..

@BB Baboonface @RogerH69 own 2.0 Type-S but can advise you on more specific things to look for..
    - - - Updated - - -
    ah. speak of the devil ;D James has already replied.
    you can read this thread to get an idea as @TheGreatDane was asking for pre-purchase advice on 7th Generation not long ago
    First time car - Honda Civic(s). (General - )

DrSam, hsyasin and BB Baboonface like this.
  5. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

awesome replies chaps... so whats the limit for a timing belt is it 75k right?

BB Baboonface likes this.
  6. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hehe! Should be asleep really, Doh!
    Good call on the cooling system, was not aware of that.

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

72,000 miles I think

DrSam and BB Baboonface like this.
  8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

been lookout for one of these and have come across 3 or 4 of them lately with blown head gaskets. one of them identified the cause and that was a rusty bottom radiator hose clip giving up at motorway speeds destroying the engine before the owner realized.
    - - - Updated - - -

@hsyasin here is what bad input shaft bearing noise sounds like on these .. video is of my ex-Civic :Sobbing:

9. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

cool...
    oh i've another friend bought an 03 Civic, and been fixing his car with him..
    now the problem he has is, his heater doesn't work very well, and seems like the sort of blockage being talked about..
    how do i go about unblocking it then?

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Well that rings a bell. Not a Civic but on my Yaris the heater was useless but it turned out the cooling system wasn't bled properly leaving air inside the system. Once I bled the coolant and got rid of all air the heater was nice and toasty.. Because the principle is the same I would recommend you have a look too.. many different threads here on how to do it properly. I have also seen people do a reverse flow in the heater core to push all the gunk out if that is blocked for sure.

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I've had no major issues with my Type-S. The only read failure is the rear calipers both needing replacing (one was gone when I got the car, Inoticed the other was on it's way out a few months klater when changing brake pads) , as well as a fractured suspension link to front anti roll bar (happened recently). I really can't remember anything else needing doing, except for normal wear and tear.

My EV1 really is an absolute pleasure to drive. I'll admit I was lucky to get one in such good condition, but Honda's don't need special treatment to keep them running well. If you DO find bad examples, that's purely due to them being neglected :Smile:

I agree that a 1.4 IS a little under powered for a car this size. I've had no issues with my gearbox, except that when in 4th gear, if I accelerate, the gear knob vibrates a little more than normal - it's done this since day one, and hasn't gotten any worse, even after I 'thrashed it' around Brands Hatch.

2.0 Type-S has a timing chain, so no timing belt to change at 70k - 80k mileage.

12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Its not been bled correctly - rebleed the coolant system with the heater knob turned to hot so that it opens up the valve fully to the heater matrix.

Changing radiator coolant

BB Baboonface and legend-ary like this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I chose a Civic for my uncle and apart from whats already been mentioned by others, something else to look for is any issues with EPS system, the steering racks can go on these, so make sure it all works fine and doesn't make any odd noises etc.

Also the bushes on these are quite weak, so inspect and knock off some money if they are torn.

I also chose a 1.6 over a 1.4, as my Uncle has two kids so a fairly big car full of people can be a bit sluggish for a 1.4, the 1.4 however is fine for pootling along city roads, on the motorway they will be a bit strained, the 1.6 is a great all rounder and not any more expensive to run then the 1.4.

BB Baboonface and RogerH69 like this.
  14. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

A note on the steering rack issue that exec mentioned.

Though there are documented problems, these largely stem from a worn plastic component under the bracket where the track rod inner ends join to the rack, also lack of lubrication inside the rubber boot can be a source of noise etc.
    Generally, a refurbishment by replacing the cheap plastic part and applying fresh lubrication is enough to see off most gremlins, so in the event of problems don't let anyone try to fob you off with fitting a new rack before trying these fixes.

exec, hsyasin and legend-ary like this.
  15. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

16. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i might be selling my Type-S in the next few weeks if interested?

check my garage link and if you want more info sure gimme a shout

the Type-S comes with the stronger gearbox and my car was my dad's and has only circa 55k on it for a 2005 car! GENUINE miles.

car is running sweet

should sell within your budget

17. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sorry for the late reply! There are some good hints in this thread on a Type-R forum: steering rack slider Also a DIY for adding an aftermarket track rod mount bracket which has some helpful info: Steering Arm Bracket-Review & DIY

It is supposed to be possible without removing the rack, but i would warn that it's a tough spot to reach though. The 2.0 cars at least have air con pipes above the inner track rod ends, and a cross brace (removable at least), heat shield and the rear engine mount bracket below. Lastly, i might get in trouble here, but i have PDF of the US EP3 service manual which has the official info on refurbishing the rack: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQ2W4EnMG8POWtYRzRwWnRHakk/view?usp=sharing

Oh yeah, sleeping. I better do some of that... :Laughing: Happy reading! :Niceone:

exec likes this.
  18. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

seen it in garage, looks sweet, however, he's looking more towards smaller engine like 1.4, but i'm pushing him on 1.6.. will have a chat with him when i go home

BB Baboonface and nsxer like this.
  19. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

no worries just a suggestion as you were on the look out for a clean Civic
    the 2.0 is fairly economical and runs well
    was just throwing it out there ... no harm done.
    good luck with whatever you decide to do :Smile:

20. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hey again!
    All being well i'm swapping my track rods for adjustable versions next week, in an attempt to get round the space isse i just bought one of these:

41scdCVKQdL._AC_UL480_SR480,480_.

Bit of a shot in the dark as to whether it fits in the space or not, but for the price it is worth a try. Cheaper than a 28 mm crow foot wrench at least, will let you know if it works!