Engine & Gearbox Advice on Coolant Change 8th Generation Diesel

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by deeno1975, Thursday 20th Jun, 2013.

1. deeno1975 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Killian Ireland
    Hi All

Just planning a coolant change on my 8th Generation Diesel, just wondering if anyone has done it before and if there are any pointers or "How to do's"?

Presume there is a drain plug somewhere underneath and is it as simple as draining the fluid and topping up with a self bleeder built in?

thanks in advance
    Killian

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Killian,

Long time no see.. hope you got that sunroof issue sorted? I will do you a guide for you now.

But please do an actual DIY for the guys you never know you may win the DIY award of the month:Wink:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    8th Generation Diesel Coolant Replacement N22B-M/T

• Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.
    • Remove expansion tank cap.
    • Raise the vehicle on the hoist to full height.

8th Gen Diesel Coolant Replacement N22B-MT AOCUK 1.JPG

• Loosen the radiator drain plug (A), and drain the coolant.
    • After the coolant has drained, tighten the radiator drain plug securely.
    • Lower the vehicle on the hoist

8th Gen Diesel Coolant Replacement N22B-MT AOCUK 2.JPG

• Loosen the bleed bolt (A) on the cylinder head.

8th Gen Diesel Coolant Replacement N22B-MT AOCUK 3.JPG

• Pour genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the expansion tank (A) to the MAX mark (B).
    • Always use genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 Using a non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail. Genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 is a mixture of 50 % antifreeze and 50 % water. Do not add water.

Engine Coolant Capacities (Including the expansion tank capacity of 0.8 L ) At Coolant Change: 6.9 Liters

• Tighten the bleed bolt when the coolant comes out in a steady stream with no bubbles.

• Install expansion tank cap loosely.

• Start the engine and let it run until the radiator fan comes on at least twice. Do not operate the air conditioning system. Then stop the engine. Make sure to warm up the engine to bleed the remaining air in the engine block.

8th Gen Diesel Coolant Replacement N22B-MT AOCUK 4.

• Adjust the coolant level in the expansion tank to the MAX mark (A) after warming up the engine.

• Install the expansion tank cap and tighten it fully, then run the engine again and check for leaks.

8th Gen Diesel Coolant Replacement N22B-MT AOCUK 5.JPG

• if you have SvRS enabled and have a HDS you need to select service reminder option 5 for coolant change.

deeno1975 likes this.
  4. deeno1975 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Killian Ireland
    Thanks Ichiban, as ever you are a gentleman... :Hey:

Yes, when I get around to changing the coolant I'll stick up a DIY.

As for the sunroof it's been in busy mode for the last month with the good weather here and works like a dream... silicone grease is the business. No joy though from Honda Ireland.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Shame about the sunroof. However I did see a rusty sunroof last time I was at HH. The rust although looks flaky and pretty dramatic I can't see why the seal cannot be taken off and given a proper buzz down with 180 grit paper.

Tidy it all up dressed and protected. Silicone grease is one way of protecting it for the short haul but you may want to take it off and it properly matey.

Looking forward to both guides :Rolf: