Detailing Advice on machine car polishers

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by eternal422, Saturday 18th Feb, 2012.

1. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thinking about getting some sort of orbital polisher to help me get better results polishing the car ... assuming we do eventually get some nicer weather!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get and what to look out for? I don't want to spend silly money but maybe something around £100 or so?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say the Kestrel Das-6 is the one to go for then there is the The Meguiar's G220 which is expensive but it come from a company with history. this is the new V2 I have the V1 which had loads of premature failures.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's worth appreciating the difference between dual action polishers and orbital buffers on the one hand, and rotary buffers on the other.

Essentially you need to be more skilled using a rotary as it can remove paint.

There's plenty of more detailed info about this on the internet.

5. accordsedan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had to buy my dual action polisher from the USA quite a few years ago as at the time you just could not buy them in the UK, but now I see you can get them in many places and there is a bit of choice. Only issue is I have is i need to step the voltage down to 110v with a converter.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CJ. Any chance of using your polisher on the rear 1/4 panel of Bec's new car. It's looks to have had some paint, the colour match is spot on but it's slightly duller.

7. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice guys. The Das looks good and a reasonable price too. I'm presuming that any polishes and waxes are ok to use with a polisher or is there a benefit in getting a machine polish?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah bud no problem let my work project end and I will get my weekends back!! can't wait roll on March.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud this is a massive area , I would strongly suggest reading about it using the wrong type of polish and pad will wreck the paint finish.

Start from here Car Care Advice | Detailing Advice | Polished Bliss it covers the entire car ..it covers all aspect of how to safely detail your car to the finish you want.

10. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    I would really be worried about using anything on my car (such as the rotary buffer you mentioned) if it could damage or mar my car's finish in any way.