General Advice on new car... READ ME!! I need your help...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Primarycare, Monday 6th Aug, 2012.

1. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Ok

Had our normal Monday meeting at the weekly grind today, after said meeting two of the partners (sick of me harping on about how pants German cars are) came and said they want to change their "work" cars. So here is my problem. Me being new to the world of Japanese motors but very blinkered I admit towards Honda.

I have had some success in getting one of the partners to buy a CR-V :Happy: he like it alot..

These are two very different types of buyers. Both very fussy with fixed but shifting quickly opinions of their existing brand (VW) MY PET HATE.. My mission is to get as many people out of VWs and into Hondas as I can.

So

Dr 1
    Work car is a 4th Generation Golf 1.6 SE and quite a rough early one (no Drs don't look after their cars)

He wants -
    1, 1.6 or bigger but must return good miles per gallon poss a oh god , a hybrid :Aghast: (poss diesel)
    2, won't go for Civic (bugger that was my plan) - to modern and young persons car..
    3, Not into sporty numbers but likes creature comforts- Accord to big.
    4, Must be discreet nothing in your face
    5, Up to about 16.000 would look at a demo.

Dr 2

Female drives a Golf 5th Generation R32 (well someone had to)
    1, MUST BE fast very :Smile: total petrol head, does track days in Lambos and Ferrari's goes to Ferrari factory every year as one of her holidays, second car is a Ferrari BUT hankering for a Lambo..
    2, Very much pref 4 wheel drive
    3, Must be fast
    4, Must be fast and have a big bad or good image.
    5, Must Must Must have Street cred..
    6, Must be fast oh and if poss a good sized hatch back for the gun dogs.. She shoots to..
    7, Needs to have lots of gadgets that work.. Ha thats VW Audi out then. (Hubby has A3 THE SO CALLED fast ONE, I towed it back from Waitrose the other day)
    8, Hates BMWs and all BMW drivers
    9, And this is going to be a little struggle - does not like Japanese cars, however has never owned anything but German.
    10 Has up to £40.000 ish grand to spend
    11 Needs to be reliable.

I need some help with this peeps, been on and on and on at them about how pants their cars are so now I need to give them some options and kinda drew a blank today, bluffed (polite version) my way out of it rather well though but they will be back on to me soon...

Consider all options at this point HOWEVER NOTHING GERMAN... SO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS??

Thanks

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

In both cases a trip to a Subaru dealer could be in order...

For Dr1, perhaps an Impreza or how about an XV as a left field choice? I rather liked it when I looked despite terrible reviews.

If Dr2 shoots and wants 4x4, then a Legacy Outback is the only car with the credibility in those circles (although I much prefer the styling of the previous generation to the current). Not sure how it fits in terms of performance though?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dr1 needs a CR-V the current shape one has some solid discounts , as the new CR-V is coming so if you play your cards right will get a good car at a great price.

Dr2 can't be pleased with the Honda, there is no speed machine left to buy.The 8th Generation 2.4 is way a lot faster than the older 7th Generation and it can be really quick it needs to be in the right hands.

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CR-V yes good one :Smile: Dr 2 would not go for the Accord though unfortunatly, not 4 wheel drive and engine to small. For her big is better! She is a real speed freak.. OK will have to mull that one over.. CR-V though thats could be ok for the other bod..

Subaru could be ok for both if they did a bigger lump Dr 2 not mad about Turbos feels to substitute for CC

Going to pick up a book from local dealer on CR-V and read up, will hit him with my pitch tomorrow :Blink:

Keep the ideas commong though please as they are Drs so will be expecting more than one option..

Thanks guys

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keith how about getting the speed nut to test drive out the 180 BHP Type-S 8th Generation. the New CR-V will be out ( check out the information about the new CR-V in our section) that information will be enough to get the doctor convinced.

6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dr1 sounds boring, so I'd be bored if I tried to think of an equally dull car.

Dr2 has to have a Range Rover. Sod the Jap stuff

Primarycare likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wasn't Range Rover on the bottom of the list of the on car reliability index? :SOS: , this DR will never to his/her patients, you want to sod off the Japs off now?

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All good advice guys, Dr Boring has me running him up to the Local Honda dealer tomorrow lunchtime, wants to have a look about at whats on offer. I will drag Dr speed freak along with us Dr speed freak is a woman. I suspect she will not go for the accord but won't let on my plans for their cash just yet :Cat:

Had a business meeting today at the practice and oddly for one of our meetings they were talking about cars! Seems a few are contemplating getting new motors.. About time to as some of their work cars are a tad past their sell by..

Never get Dr 2 in a Range Rover she hates the things with a passion, she has a series 2a Land Rover though, bit of a work horse I have serviced it a couple of times for her, not bad for it's age.

Not sure still what to do about her but reluctant to let her slip back into a pants comfy German pile of poo..

9. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well update..

Visit to Honda dealer went well, I even spoke to the gen manager and got an apology for my wife buying a scooby rather than an Accord.. Plus they gave me a free service on mine. I did kind of ask for that though on the back of Dr 1 loved the style of the CR-V.. Next service is a big one to:Smile:

Well my plan for global domination by Honda begins to fall into place, one down seven to go! Dr 2 however had other ideas and has ruined my hit score...:Angry:

She did not take to the Honda's, "not fast enough"! "Not 4 wheel drive enough" to plain!! and what - she drives an R32 Golf how much more plain can you get?

She won't look at Subaru either "engines are to small" and does not like Turbos.. This is going to be a tough one.. Looks as though it has to be at least a V6 and at least 3L manual or flappy paddle gears (she likes those) sad but true..

But hey got one so far out of a VW pile of vomit.. Happy days Look out VW I am gunning for you... Revenge soooooo make you feel good :Smile:

Thanks for the advice peeps

FirstHonda and Ichiban like this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Rolf: good for you Honda dealers are struggling to sell cars and this one was not plain bothered. But they have addressed the issue to an extent.

As for Doctor 2 if you are stuck in your ways then there is nowt you can do to alter perceptions, like me.:vtec:

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah sad but true... She is quite stuck in the dream wold of the German badge means quality.. For an educated and very good Dr she can at times be quite thick (nothing I have not said to her) :Aghast:

Am stumped on where to push her though, I may have to bite the bullet here and move on to my next target, Dr3 quite a soft one though as he has an old CR-V at the moment so will just swap that for a new one. Easy.. Dr 4 has a Ford Focus so anything from Honda will blow him away :Rolf: then there are Drs 5,6,7,and 8 to work on.... Oh and the salaried GPS to they all drive damn VWs

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh my god Im on fire :Happy:
    Dr4 Mr happy focus driver.. Just ordered a new car ..... 8th Generation Type-S saloon not only have I converted him to Honda but to an oil burner as well :Happy:

Global domination for the Accord is in my sights.. Except for Dr2 with her I accept the bitter pill of defeat :Sobbing: I have failed and she has been speaking to Audi (I am not happy) :Angry: she feels there is so very little out there at the moment and insists she may have to look at an Audi blah blah blah.. Well she can kiss her morning sessions coffee break good bye - deleted that from here rota for next month as I am evil like that.. But hey got another Honda sold and an Accord.. You know what they tried to talk him into a Civic! Take it they thought Focus - Civic whatever.. I am looking forward to seeing the Type-S in the car park.. Sorry CJ he ordered a White one.. don't think the others are looking to swap their motors yet from what they say, that or they are getting cheesed of with my nagging, ha

13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL have you considered career change and become a salesman :GoodJob:

I have been working last week in Northampton on Sainsbury store and must have seen at least 20 Accords in the car park during the day.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That thread has made me laugh..

Nice one .. Keith you should get a medal for converting people toward Japanese made Honda's! Not bothered what colour they are as long they are the right ones. :Happy: Persist with your nagging mate never surrender.

15. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

CJ was commenting about this on another thread...perhaps they thought Swindon, who knows.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The so called stealth Swindon converstion , make me sick.