Body, Paint & Styling Advice on Removing Door Protector

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Saturday 18th Jul, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I'm wanting to remove the door protector (if that's what it's called - see below) from my rear offside door, and was wondering if anyone could advise on whether it just unclips, or if there is a special way to do it ?
    58176_IMG_20150206_081342.

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    from what I can find there 2 clips on it.

B__4210.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @chris2982 I saw that too. I just seem to remember something about having ti slide it forward / backward and then out, though that may have been another trim piece....

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Are you wanting to permanetly remove them Rog? If so, you will more than likely have to fill the doors mate. Those clips will clip into the outer skin of the door panels, removing them will leave a big hole which would need to be filled and painted. If they were only held on by double sided tape, you would be ok, but if they are clipped on, you would need to get the doors repaired.

Just looked at a few Type-S like yours online, they all seem to have that same protective strip, that combined with the diagram above. Removing them is simple enough, pop the door panel off, have a look inside, you would be able to unclip them from inside.

Last edited: Saturday 18th Jul, 2015
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Not coming off permanently (though someone did suggest that once :Smile: )

LOL I would want to remove that trim just after I've had sound deadening and foam installed in the rear doors :Smile: Ah well, I'll get to check the state of the speaker fitment and the sound deadening I guess :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    From looking at the broken one on my Uncles car, they are clipped in with some rectangular looking things, think they slide out and the clips are pushed in some holes on the door.