Body, Paint & Styling Advice on rust

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by chris2982, Tuesday 11th Aug, 2015.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    What's the best way to deal with this? ?
    Going to own the car for at least the next 5 years so would like to keep it as clean as I can.

20150811_151543.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also a rough idea on cost involved would be great.

Job done and very happy with the results.
    20150918_083238.

Last edited: Friday 18th Sep, 2015
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rust treatment will do otherwise then respray will do for a couple of years or the entire section needs cutting out for permanent solution.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Looks like surface rust mainly, the worse is where the paint is starting to bubble underneath. If the rust hasnt eaten through, then sand it down to the metal, this will get rid of the surface rust, put some rust treatment on it, then paint over it again. You will have to prime after applying the rust treatment, then base and then lacquer. You can cut the edges straight in with the paint due to how the metal panel folds in. Id cut it in just where the crease is, you won't see the line.

If its eaten through into the metal, then best solution would be to cut out and replace as already suggested. Realistically though, if it has eaten through, depending on where and how much, you could just cut it back to clean metal, and protect it as above.

Nels likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If it's not gone through, then the advice above is sound. Just ensure you deal with the other side too, and it will be gone for good. Well for many years at least.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'd give that to a reputable body shop and ask them to sort it out, at least that you know it has been dealt with properly.

steve4536 and Nighthawk like this.
  6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Decided to get it done properly at a body shop. . Booked in for a week on Wednesday.. .
    Will do some before and after once done and my findings of the company doing the work.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good decision Chris.

8. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Keeping it as clean as possible is the best way to prevent reoccurrence.

Getting a body shop to repair it should make it last a good few years but regular cleaning in winter especially is the best way to keep it at bay.

I hose the wheel arches out regularly in winter. It's amazing how much salt, silt and debris builds up on that lip. Salt attracts moisture and the silt holds it and it can stay damp for weeks in mid-winter - even if the car lives outside where it can breathe better than in a garage (unless the garage is heated and dehumidified of course).

Keeping the build up to a minimum at least gives the wind half a chance to dry it off even just the draught when driving along.

I know Karchers get mixed reports but the karcher chassis cleaner makes it easier to keep the underside clean as possible as well.

I try to clean the arches and underside of my car every week or every fortnight in winter.

It's more important to keep the salt build up down rather than have is sparkly clean in the winter. My car often looks dirty in winter :Blushing: but I wash the salt off at least.

Mind I'm fighting a bit of a loosing battle trying to keep white spotless in winter.

9. demian New Member Getting Started

Mere paint doesn't quite cut in the long run. Tell your bodyshop to spray some stonechip/body schutz/dinitrol on it as well.

I've discovered the hard way that a 5 € investment in a bottle of cavity wax or stonechip can prevent 500 € worth of rust repairs. It's a bit like Pepsodent really.

Nels likes this.
  10. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

well , that's the car dropped of at the body shop .. picking it up on Friday.

will post up results when I get it back and a report on the body shop .

John Dickson and Nighthawk like this.
  11. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

All sorted and I'm very happy :Smile:

20150918_083238.

Will do a write up in the correct forum a little later on the bodyshop used.

John Dickson, Ichiban and Bones126 like this.
  12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nice job @chris2982 , this is one of the jobs I need to focus on next. No point in doing all these jobs just for it to start looking tatty.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Indeed good job looking forward to your write up .

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Looking good Chris.:likeit:
    A good write up on this will be a real help to others.
    If she gets through the winter and still looks like that, you know you've sealed it all successfully. :fingerscrossed:

15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like a top job @chris2982 :GoodJob:

Hopefully that keeps the dreaded tin worm away. :fingerscrossed:

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Looks a good job but as @Nels says, the winter will be the big test for the repair. If it survives that without re-appearing then jobs a good un.