Pre-Purchase Advice prior to purchase

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by MancDavo, Sunday 4th Jan, 2015.

1. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    I am in the market for a bigger car due to an imminent change in family circumstances. I'm also about to change jobs, going from an urban commute of about 20 miles a day to a 100 mile round trip, all motorways.

I'm really interested in a CR-V, budget means I'm looking at something about four years old. Unfortunately, as I'm only about a third of the way through a PCP deal on my current car, I'm going to have to swallow a bit of negative equity into the new purchase.

My questions are:

1) Taking into account c.20k miles a year on the motorway, will a diesel lead to significantly lower fuel costs?

2) Given my budget, I can expect to be buying something with around 50k already on the clock and will need to keep the car for at least 4 years. Is the CR-V something I can rely on to go beyond 130 - 150k and not present too many issues? I should add that I'm coming from having 3 Alfas in a row, and have been able to put up with certain shortfalls in reliability but need to be able to trust the next purchase to get me to work without getting on first names terms with the local dealers!

Thanks in advance. I think my mind is pretty much made up but I suppose I'm looking for further reassurance.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @MancDavo.

With that kind of mileage, considering economy alone then I'd say diesel is a no brainer. Though also to take into account are the marginally higher running costs as they tend to be a tad less reliable (but we're still talking Honda reliable here).

If economy is your soul concern, getting a petrol and going for an LPG install (just over a grand outlay for currently 50p a litre fill-ups) does make a lot of sense with that mileage, but I am have inclined to say the CR-V suits the diesel torque more than a petrol.

It's a toss-up, depends on your priorities as a whole.

I'd say the simple answer here is yes, you can depend on a Honda at that kind of mileage, we have many in the club - either petrol or diesel, however servicing is extremely important to the longevity. Regular engine and transmission fluid changes are a must.

3. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    Thanks DD. I too fancy the low down torque of a diesel again. I don't think a petrol converted for LPG really floats my boat. Not that it would be a problem with the mileage I'm going to be doing on motorways, but do the diesels suffer with DPF problems? My last diesel car was an alfa 159, it was quick as hell but I had to have the DPF removed and the engine remapped as it was causing too many problems (I was only doing about 15 miles a day though, all town driving!).

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Diesel I-DTEC remapped should definitely satisfy you :Smile:

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I've had my I-DTEC Accord for 3 years (from new) and nearly 50k miles.

Not a single reliability issue. c70% of my driving is motorway, and I've had no DPF issues - but as @DeviateDefiant says, servicing absolutely on time (or before) with the correct grade oil is essential.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    Right - thanks for your help. I've put a deposit on a 61 plate 2.2 I-DTEC. Test driving Thursday morning. Any pointers to anything I should be looking out for?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Make sure service history has been fully maintained. Check the invoices ensure that the correct grade of oil has been used.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    What mileage does it have? Are you going with Honda Main Dealer?

9. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    Yes main dealer. 52k.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I took an I-DTEC CR-V for a test drive last summer. She was super. If you use her regularly on the motorway, change the oil every 6000 mile (using the correct spec) you won't have any DPF issues. Honda diesels are great. Just make sure you service them correctly. Simple. :Hey:

Don't forget to add her to the Club Garage. :Photographer:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not rocket science is it Ed :dodgydeal: . Regimented servicing regime will keep the car on the road not at the dealerships gathering dust,

12. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    I will - if I buy. Ha ha who am I kidding. Unless I turn up and it's a dog then I'm highly likely to purchase it. I assume that honda main dealer isn't going to sell a dodgy car anyway. It's honda approved and has an extended warranty (so 3 years in total) so all sounds pretty good to me.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My Honda warranty was excellent for me, saved me thousands even if there was a few shortcomings by then they did always sort things and never argued. Still got a long time left on it and gives me peace of mind.

Check my other thread in reply to someone else looking to buy a CR-V as it's much better to arrange any work to be done prior to purchase.

I forgot to mention on it to check the tyres also, both tread and make. If budget crap I'd insist on decent ones going on.

14. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Dealerships can't sell "dodgy" cars. They have to ensure that they are HPI checked and cleared, no Cat D or C insurance categories, no outstanding finance, etc etc. One of the reasons buying from a main dealer is a really good way of buying an expensive car. The extra cost of buying from a dealer is worth it in my opinion.

Look forward to seeing her when you buy her.

15. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    Absolutely - I hadn't considered buying from anyone but a main dealer. I must say, coming from alfa for the past 7 years, it's going to be a treat to actually have substantial dealer network to rely on. Closest alfa dealer is currently an hour away from where I live! Been really impressed with Honda in dealing with them so far.

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    Viewed and drove the car this morning. I'm picking it up tomorrow! Was really impressed with it. The only gripe I have is that the split shelf thingy in the boot was missing. The sales chap advised that they only were fitted on the EX (the car I'm buying is an ES-T). Is this correct or am I having my chain yanked?

The car has been serviced every 12k on the DOT which is great (was a company car before which I can only assume is good because it's been serviced when required but bad as it won't have been cherished as much as a privately owned vehicle).

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That doesn't sound right about the tonneau cover. It's standard fit on all 2013 model CR-V's
    Maybe some 3rd Generation CR-V owners can enlighten us.

18. dkarolj Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Croatia Davor Kutina
    I have it on the my ES model as standard.

Nels likes this.
  19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got it also, although mine is an EX. Isn't there a thread on here which has a link to loads of Honda brochures which contain a breakdown of the specs? I think it links to a Flickr page.

20. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    Aha - I see I've caused some confusion! It wasn't the cover I was questioning, it is the 'deck' in the boot that was missing. I found a brochure on line that said it was included on the version I'm buying. Rang the dealer and they have sorted it out for me. Also they are fitting a new clutch. They took it on a test run today and found it to slip slightly under acceleration in high gears. Means I get the car a couple of days later but save £900 as it would have needed replacing further down the line. So so so impressed with honda so far!

FirstHonda and Nels like this.