General Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by legend-ary, Saturday 12th Dec, 2015.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Warning: Long story but I need your views

Hello everyone. I had been after a project car to work on in order to learn a bit more about cars. After much research I bought a non-runner 7th Generation Honda Civic. I had to travel 100 miles to see the car. Met the owner in person, jumped started the car, couldn't drive it as it was uninsured but checked what I could. I told the seller that I am here to buy the car for the right price and considering that the quotes I got for transportation are quite high around £150 I can only make an offer of X amount. The seller haggled and then agreed to meet in the middle. I paid the amount and told them that I will get the car picked soon.

At first they said because they have moved flat (which they did, I checked) they couldn't find the V5C but will send me as soon as possible. My judgement was they are telling the truth as I was inside the flat where everything was in boxes. After the deal was done, they went looking for the stereo they promised and came back with V5C aswell. We filled the new keeper section V5C/2 and kept it, they kept the rest of it. I told them of the new online service they can use to transfer the car directly and that I will text them the details.

All went well, I came back home. Got an even better transportation quote on Shiply from a recovery guy based in the same area as the car which I agreed to. The seller messaged that the guy is coming to pick right now and that they have removed their belongings from the car and wished me all the best. After 20min I get a message from them:

'Thankyou for ripping me off.. .You are only paying £90 for the transport so send me £60 right now otherwise I will not transfer the car in your name'

I showed them evidence that quote I had before buying the car were £130 - £148 and I just bagged a good deal but any how it is none of their concern how much I pay for delivery but they are threatening that they will not be transferring the car to my name unless I pay more.

I mean WTF! what should I do.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's pretty much blackmail, don't buy the car and request your money back.

legend-ary likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

yeah that is exactly what I feel like doing. But they helped the load the car themselves and its already on its way to me. :/ they sent me texts afterwards

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sour grapes so he could make a few more quid by getting his mate to deliver the car too.. crafty. sod em you want your money back its a matter of principle. When the deal is done you abide by it don't find ways of fleecing you.

legend-ary likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What an arse, tell him that is blackmail and that blackmail is covered by Law s.21 Theft Act 1968. Also by law he is required to send the V5C off. So on both accounts he is breaking the law.

You've got the little green new keeper slip, that's plenty proof that the car belongs to you.

You could also tell him that any speeding and parking tickets will be his until he sends the V5C off.

Maybe he got a telling off his wife for selling the car so cheap hence the sudden change of heart.

This actually happened to me when I bought Roobix, myself and my nephews spent a fair while checking the car over, then when it came to negotiate, I said your asking x amount I'm going to offer y amount as these are the list of things that are wrong or need doing. We haggled for a while and finally agreed a price £700 less than the asking price, just then the Polish guys, Polish wife comes barging in starts shouting at her husband in Polish, she actually when of for like good couple of minutes. In that time the guy hardly got a word edgeways, we just sat there listening (of course we could understand what she was saying but we got the jist of it). When she finally shut up and left, the guy said don't worry about her and that he would honour the deal that we had agreed to. So we quickly rapped up and promptly left.

legend-ary likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

The car arrived this morning. The recovery truck guy was saying he has never seen anything like it where the owner was hugging the doors and crying saying 'my car. i love my car.' The seller has't been replying to my texts but this morning I sent them one saying look, as per the recovery driver you were visibly upset when he was taking the car. You yourself handed him the keys to load it up so what is the problem.

To be honest i am fed up with this.. I followed up with the message that if they are having seller's remorse, even though i am not legally required to but personally my wife is very upset due to all this and you are more than welcome to take the car back after paying all my costs+price i paid for the car.

Last edited: Sunday 13th Dec, 2015
    exec likes this.
  7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

ONe.
    Two.
    last.

Finally they have agreed to transfer even though I offered them to take the car back. They were upset because I found a cheaper transport than what I quoted them. I tried endlessly to make them understand that how I take the car is not their problem. I could have driven it, put it on my head or something.. But they kept saying because I found cheaper quote, I should pay the difference to them.

exec likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Transportation cost is nothing to do with them, price of the car was agreed by both parties, simplez!

legend-ary likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The seller (and wife) clearly are having, 'some difficulties' but that's their problem, not yours.

You've got the car now, at the price agreed between the two of you. Try to put this all behind you and move on.
    Life is too short to let this upset you any more.

FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.
  10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Thanks @SpeedyGee and @Nels. Yeah it was just a headache trying to figure out whats going on. Obviously I didnt want the seller to be upset but im not paying up to make them feel happy. All done and dusted, hopefully ill get the paperwork soon.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Don't forget to :garage:
    This should make a great Project Log. :Photographer: + :mechanic: = :GoodJob:

legend-ary likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@legend-ary

Reading your post, I'd say that you are feeling a bit guilty - without any reason I should add! I think the very fact that you even considered selling the car back shows that you are a good guy i.e. You don't want anybody having negative feelings towards you, regardless of whether they are justified.

Hopefully it is now resolved, and I am looking forward to seeing the car and how you get on with it. Don't let this nag away at you.

You did nothing wrong. The car is now yours. You'll never need to be in contact with the seller again assuming the car does get transferred as promised.

:Thumbup:

exec and legend-ary like this.
  13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yeah I just wanted them to be reasonable. I was alarmed at their accusations. Anyways hopefully this ordeal is over and ill get the paperwork soon. Will upload the car to garage tonight. :Smile:

Thanks everyone for the advice.

FirstHonda likes this.
  14. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    so if you had spent 100s of thousands of pounds on a private spacecraft for your choice of delivery would the seller then owe you money???

madness!!

hopefully all done with now and you can move forward with the project. .. Looking forward to seeing some pics

legend-ary likes this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Precisely !

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Just gone through the thread, I think you were very amicable in your response, sod the previous owner, she agreed a price and has to honour it, even if she held the V5C hostage you can apply for a new V5C yourself so would've made jack all difference.

legend-ary likes this.
  17. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Tell them to take their oil

legend-ary likes this.
  18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

lol .. I don't know what that means :Grin: