Engine & Gearbox Advise Dealing with Clutch Warranty Issues - CR-V Petrol 2010 35k

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by HOTMRD, Wednesday 5th Mar, 2014.

1. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Long time no speak;

I am seeking advise how to proceed with this situation:

been encountering the squeaking clutch problem for a few months now, so I finally decided to take her into to Local Dealer to get it check out - turns out that i needed a new clutch salve replacing under warrantee; which was done.

However after picking car up I noticed a crutching sound that was still there I decided to take her back in a day later- the Honda Tech diagnosed the problem as being the clutch release bearing..now Honda claims people want to strip clutch down to diagnose the problem to pin point the fault, BUT... if its deemed to be wear and tear am basically responsible for labour cost; cars got 35000 miles on clock...

any advise would be much appreciated

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    This is definitely something for @Ichiban to advise on as he knows the ins/outs of dealers policies.

What I can say is that clutches are generally voided from warranties as they're considered consumable parts, though of course they'll oblige you if your clutch was to die in a few months old car. Again, something for CJ to confirm.

Considering the issue only arose once the car was in your dealers care - I'd think you have grounds to contest. Either way, the first thing is to identify the problem for definite, then quibble about the liabilities and premature wear.

3. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Funnily enough my clutch slave cylinder is being replaced tomorrow....( 2009 ) having bought the car 3 weeks ago with 50k on the clock, the squeak was really annoying. It went in and the technician said he'd tried grease and it had done no good... hence the new bits :Search:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

There's been a few issues I've read about pedal squeak on various Honda models, I had the same issue start not long before my clutch went entirely and it turned out the actual pedal assembly had snapped :Ohdear:

5. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I pointed out the squeak on our CDTi within 2 days of taking ownership ( main dealer) so the slave cylinder is being replaced FOC... bought a 3 year warranty with it as well... so if bits start to fall off I'd hope it's covered :Aghast:

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

A 3 year warranty will see that car through until it's 8 years old, that's a pretty good deal you've got going.

EDIT: A good idea in general with the i-CDTIs to be blunt, they don't seem to do well in later life.

Bryn likes this.
  7. Bryn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There was 12 months on the car, and I bought an extra 2 years... and during the negotiations I said I didn't need their gap insurance , or paint and fabric protection treatment (£399 each :Aghast:) so they did both for £65 :Grin:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi
    Hi bud,
    Is your car under standard three year manufacturer’s warranty or is this within the one year of its approved car warranty?Can you advise if the dealer has tried to lubricate the clutch master cylinder with moly grease, normally this type of noise disappears after greasing. The thump rule is the master cylinder is greased twice on separate occasions and the noise doses not go away then they only opting are to replace it.
    The fact they are replacing it means they would have done those checks as Honda will not approve the CMC change on a whim. Honda UK has instructed the dealer to strip and inspect is following due process for a warranty claim, its merely to ascertain the nature of damage ie. Is it wear and tear or customer abuse?

Please if you can let me know the background information I could assist.

9. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello Mate

Car is under extended warranty from an approved dealer, the dealer has replace the Master Cylinder but some noise while shifting to first gear especially uphill is apparent!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right you need to be clear here, if the clutch is found to have excessive wear then it’s not classed as manufacturing fault. This is where it come tricky if that was to happen then you will have to pay for the cost of stripping the car down and also the new clutch kit. Has the dealer made you aware of this?

If these is sufficient material left on the clutch and it not down to its rivets and the flywheel is not excessively blue then you have a chance for successful warranty claim with it totally being funded by Honda...This noise you say is it judder or metallic sound like the release bearing?

11. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah it does sound metallic, the technician mentioned it sounds like a release bearing in the gearbox

12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    It won't have anything to do with replacing the master cylinder. It's hard to say without experiencing the fault exactly what it is down to. Unfortunately if the noise is transmission related, removing the gearbox is no doubt required. It is standard practice to advise a customer about the clutch and if deemed wear and tear a warranty will not pay for its replacement. I would not put a metalic noise down to the friction disc myself. Does the noise stop with the clutch engaged/disengaged ?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Exactly
    beefy the CMC only fixes a creaking pedal noise.. surely the technician could have seen where the issue lies?

14. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Second week of ownership and having the master cylinder replaced (39k on clock). Five years of owning a Mazda, nothing failed!

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's unlucky mate, I had plenty of trouble with my two Mazda 6's (also fairly low mileage). That's just how it goes sometimes.

So far across 7 Hondas and countless thousands of miles not one fault.

16. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Just unlucky as my previous Accord never failed except for droplinks.

17. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the pedal box can cause a noise too of which should have been checked when changing the CMC but i was refering to the fact that the CMC is in no way responsible for a failed release bearing as suggested by the garage as a cause for the noise. i presume the crunch noise is from the transmition hense a tech's diag of release bearing but this is without hearing it myself. if the noise is solely related to when the pedal is depressed and noise is from within the cabin it could be due to some aspect of the CMC or pedal box. sounds like an odd fault and certainly not one i have come accross before.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any updates on this bud?