Bulletins & Advisories Advisements for Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by Service News, Thursday 22nd Dec, 2011.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

This is another insight to the measures that Honda takes to ensure high quality of parts and advise on repairing their cars. This is applicable to FN1, FN2, FN3, FN4 (3Door) & FK1, FK2, FK3 (5Door) Civic. But is also very relevant to the Accord Tourers.

When you buy a new set of brake pads from Honda dealers you will find metal backing pates with the set, These pads help in reducing brake noises and keep corrosion at bay.These plates are currently coated with black paint, it is possible that if the paint is damaged for some reason (due to stone chips, wear, dealer removal during service etc.) that corrosion will build between the pad and the calliper.

To improve the corrosion performance of the brake pad backing plate, Honda have asked the vendor for it to be coated with a zinc material, this material is more robust to corrosion.

Care point whilst handling and repairs:
    The brake pad metal back plate MUST NOT be filed or sanded during servicing, if this is done the zinc material will be removed exposing the metal back plate and accelerating corrosion.

Additional care points whilst doing a pad change:
    If replacing brake pads, the metal pad retainers should be removed and not reused, use the new retainers included in
    the brake pad kit.

• The caliper bracket and body should be thoroughly cleaned with a wire brush and / or file to ensure all corrosion build up is
    • Under no circumstances should the pad ends be filed because this will remove the paint and Zinc Nickel coating, allowing
      corrosion to grow and the pads to seize in the caliper.
    • If replacing the rear brake pads or discs, always replace them as a pair, ensuring all bolts are torqued to the values
      specified in workshop manual. If members needs these values please ask will post some details up.
    • Fit the new pad retainers to the caliper, ensuring a thin coating of Molykote M77 paste is applied above and below the pad
      retainers only.
    • Do not apply extra / excessive amounts of grease to the other parts of the brake caliper assembly other than that which is
      specified in the workshop manual.
    • Under no circumstances should other types of grease be used especially Copper Slip grease as it accelerates corrosion due to chemical reactions between copper and steel.

You can buy an 8 gram sachet of Molykote M77, Honda part number 43231-SB0-315 in the UK.

However in the states you can get this in big tubs as well as tubes, I hope these larger quantities come to the UK via the Honda Pro Series.

moly_m77. m77lrg.

M77 is a extreme pressure lubricating paste which reduces noise and squeak at braking. For more technical information regarding M77 please refer to this Technical Guide and from the manufacturer Dow Corning.
  2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    thorough as allways! nice find them large tubs.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Very true I am looking for a big tub of M77 as the ATR front caliper at this moment in time are requiring a full strip and clean every six months and then a lube up at the moment.
  4. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for all the useful tips. Though I own a 2012 Honda Accord EX, it's always useful to know things like how to prevent corrosion. These little details will help greatly when maintaining my car in near perfect condition over the years.
  5. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Civic 2.2 brake pads, suspect compound failure

I owned a Civic 2.2 08 reg. In March of this year after a main dealer service the previous December, I experienced a fault on the rear brakes. To precis, it was found the compound which holds the friction material to the backing plate had failed. Honda told me they were aware of this and had knowledge of similar previous failures. I was lucky, (though only after a fight), my rear pads and discs were replaced foc and the callipers were able to be released. VOSA were not interested in doing a recall because they say the vehicle will still stop when a metal to metal friction takes place! In short, the bond fails, excessive dust is generated, the callipers seize and the pads wear even quicker. Sadly I had to sell my car because of family reasons and I now run an FR-V, but for all Civic owners, be aware of this and be aware of the possibility of failure if they wear very quickly. My car had done 36k and at the time of service pads were at 70% remaining. Therefore the pads went to metal over a period of 3 months. I do not know if the same pads are used in any other Honda’s. As for The Warranty Group, who refused to make a payment, I will not say anymore than my official complaint is still ongoing.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Civic 2.2 brake pads, suspect compound failure

moving this thread as there was a revised part for this issue.