Tyres & Wheels After market alloy wheels and tyres!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by civicric84, Sunday 5th May, 2013.

1. civicric84 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Oxford
    I have a question regarding the above. I have seen a few threads on this forum talking about how important it is to keep the same size wheel and tyres specs for safety etc. But what if you wanted to purchase larger aftermarket wheels or even OEM style of different size?

I know as you increase the size of the wheel the tyre dimensions change to keep same rolling radius etc. Is this still possible with the 8th Generation or does the former concern of keeping same wheel and specific tyre dimensions still apply.

I am looking at getting either 18" or 19" wheels. Obviously this will be bigger than the original 17's and also the tyre size will change. Will this effect anything or not make a difference at all? Was looking at putting on the 19" rage alloys from Civic Type-R.

Any advice/help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All I do know is that Honda do not recommend 19" for the 8th Generation Accord. Thats why there arent any OEM alloys of that size available for it.

Obviously you can stick on what size you want, but then you have to factor in ride quality, suspension, tramlining, cost of tyres on these pothole-ridden roads.

And of course, if you go with non-OEM wheels, you have to declare to your insurance - not a reflection on you but I have a particularly disdain for people that upgrade car parts like alloys and never declare to insurers - and when accidents happen, it is why everyone has to pay more for insurance to cover these sorts of incidents.

If you can get some Type-S 18" alloys, you'd be better off. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend it but that choice is yours.

3. civicric84 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Oxford
    Thank you dark knight for your reply. I would definitely like to keep it OEM and had thought about the 18's. obviously I had seen posts on here regarding wheel and tyre sizes so wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing before I made any decisions. I agree with you about non-OEM and declaring to insurers. I always declare any mods no matter how big or small. Will prob stick with the 18 inch Type-S wheels. However do really like the idea of the rages but as you say don't want to cause problems for components on the car.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No worries civicric84.

The way I see it - if 19" was a "go-er" on the Accord, Honda would have at least made a set available - that they havent speaks volumes.

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think HH have one set of 18" sigma wheels left. They were about £650 with tyres when I checked 6 months ago. Im not sure if they're any good to you. There's also one 18" honda wheel that takes a 245/45/18 which is strange as the other models are 235 wide.

6. civicric84 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Oxford
    I am thinking about purchasing a set of after market 18" alloy wheels and tyres with the following spec:

18 x 8.0 with Falken ZE914 225/40R18 92W XL

Would this be an appropriate set up? I will obviously be declaring the mod to the insurance company.

Thanks,

Richard.

7. joiner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

angus
    Hi civicric84, if it is any help I fitted 19" M200 alloys to my tourer with 215x35 tyres and 20mm H&R spacers and lowered on H&R springs with no rubbing or other problems, your overall rolling radius remains the same, yes the ride quality suffers but I would say do you want looks or ride quality, I have been riding 19" alloys on my last 2 Accords and one Civic sport over the last 5 years so may just be used to the harder ride, one thing I will say is lower your car if you go 19" as believe me it will look like a jeep. As for the Rage wheels, the specs are the same as m200 alloys 7.5 x 19" with 55mm offset, the wheels will look rather sunken in the arches hense I fitted the spacers max we can get on our cars are 19" x 8.5 40mm offset, Ronjon wheels recommends 8 x 19 48mm offset without rolling arches or other body mods. If you are not sure about offsets etc type in 1010tyre offset calculator and type in present wheel/tyre specs then new specs and compare. At the end of the day everyone has different ideas and this is just my thoughts, hope it helps you.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lets have a look at the car mate.

9. joiner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

angus
    As requested there is more photos on my intro post, hope this gives fellow members an idea of how 19" would look with the mods mentioned. Any more answers needed just ask

View attachment 10895

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 5th Aug, 2013
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looks stunning buddy those hydrogen/ radium alloys ?

sorry just reread what you said m200 that would have been the mugen FN2 ?

11. joiner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

angus
    They are the ones that came on the limited edition M200 Civic Type-R, bought them 2 years ago and had them on my previous accord CL7 which too was lowered etc, was a bit unsure if they looked at first and have been toying lately as whether to sell them or not.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well they are rear wheels keep them matey.