ICE & HFT After market Sat Nav (doesn't replace stereo) - Anybody tried one!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by TheVDM, Sunday 1st Sep, 2013.

1. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have the premium sound system in my 54 Tourer and would like a 'built in' sat nav option one day (won't be buying for a while yet). After some reading I won't be trying to fit a Honda unit as it sounds like a full time job, and I don't like the idea of the Chinese units that replace the stereo and air con controls (putting the master control on the wrong side) and then I found this:

Car DVD GPS Stereo Navigation Navi for 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 7th Honda ACCORD | eBay

acd077_install_effect.

Has anybody tried one of these, or any thoughts on them?

Jim

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmm not come across this particular one before, its still a Chinese unit from a unknown company.

I think with these things the pictures and description always appear better than they actually are in real life.

Also with the touchscreen being so far away from you it won't be that practical to use.

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It looks good but Id want to see a video of one in action first. I just noticed its got some buttons that look a little awkward to press too as you probably wouldn't reach them. If you've got the cash and want to try it I'm sure the members on here would appreciate a proper review. :Thumbup:

4. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In the mean time I found a picture of one that was installed (can't remember where now) and I noticed that the replacement vent covers don't look like they line up very well which has put me off.

I suppose the best bet would be to add a second double din unit where the CD compartment goes but get an android one so it can be stripped back a bit and only get used for Sat Nav or MP3 input.

Like a lot of people I'm short on cash at the moment so it won't be for a while before I experiment with something like that.

Does anybody know which version of the Xcarlink (with SD\USB) works with the premium sound system (the one with the 6 disc changer in the dash) as I've noticed they state they go into the CD changer port rather than the auxiliary port, I can live without sat nav for now as I have an external unit but MP3 playback would be nice.

Regards
    Jim

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    These chinese clones knock off , quality reproduction or what ever you may call them have been tested on Acura spec LHD petrol cars.

Half the functions will not work on a diesel car since the backbone is on poor german multiplexing which this unit can't deal with.

So save your money.. its been tried and it does work. Good luck with the aircon working as it won't!

6. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I decided to give the Chinese cheepies a miss and design my own system. So far the plan is to us an xcarlink (or similar) linked upto a 7" android tablet that will be mounted into a custom made dash mount similar to the one originally posted about based on the dash mounted storage compartment form a BMW 1 series with a few modifications to make it look fairly OEM.

At least with the android tablet system there is no need to remove the perfectly working stereo and air con controls plus I can choose from a range of offline navigation software for android, that and I can run Torque pro on there too.

SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Now we are talking Speedy was doing a similar project but poor lad is in CBA mode these days :Rolf:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hahaha .. that is true. I've got a lot going at the moment, mostly in my garage LOL. Would you believe I have a back log of work booked into my garage. If you want Speedy to do some work for you, you'll be given a date sometime near end of October :Smile:

BTW ... great idea VDM. Go for it, please do document it for us to follow :Thumbup:

9. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It will indeed be documented, here is some of the work I did on my Rover 800 when it was in my hands - Rover800.Info ? View topic - My '98 Rover 820 SI Fastback Nightfire

The work may be a little slow as finances aren't at their best for now as from Monday this week I am unemployed, although it's one of those partings that are more of a relief as I hated that job for 3 of the 5 years I was there and in those 3 years they bought me to a complete mental break down which resulted in it ending, anyhow that's a complete other story!

So far I have a 16GB Lenovo Ideapad A1 7" android tablet which is the donor, it's not the most up to date or flashy tablet but it was cheap and is more than capable of doing what I want, I also have a bluetooth OBD dongle and the Torque Pro app (currently on my phone).

It should be a fairly simple setup:
    1) Fit an OBD2 extension lead with the +12v cut and spliced onto a +12v ignition feed (back of the cigarette lighter) so the bluetooth dongle switches on and off with the ignition.
    2) Fit an Xcarlink or similar to output the audio from the tablet to the stereo aux
    3) Buy a dash storage compartment like those on the BMW 1 series or VW touran (the models without sat nav, also need to work out which one would best accommodate the tablet and make sure they are spring loaded)
    4) Buy a second center dash piece and cut a hole in it (carfully working out the best place for viewing and not getting in the way of things underneath it.
    5) Create a bezel for the tablet along with a simple ignition power lead with a couple of 5v voltage regulators for powering the tablet
    6) play around with the software side, best nav software, a nice big button launcher (for music, nav, torque pro etc...) automation software to turn it on and off when the chargers on or off etc...
    (Optional, it will happen one day)
    7) fit a microSD to SD extension lead so there is an SD slot next to the screen for loading music onto it etc...

I have time, just need some money now!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry to hear about your job mate.. :Frown: hope you find a good job soon so we can all look at your mods :Happy:

11. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm going to quickly resurrect this thread, it's been a while and I've been contemplating the best way to go about it, I sold the Lenovo ideapad as I found the 7" screen was too large to fit in somewhere easy to reach (for the touch controls). Earlier today I went on a little spending spree and bought a 4 1/2" android phone from ebay for the grand price of £30, then a Yatour.

So far the plan is to mount the Yatour under the stereo in an inaccessible place, using the USB port as a permanent charger for the phone, the line in for the audio from the phone for sat nav and the SD card will have an extension fitted to it allowing me to mount a separate SD port elsewhere.

The phone will be mounted in one of a number of places (going for the OEM look, but not sure which of my ideas will be used), it will have 2 functions, in general day to day use it will connect to my bluetooth OBDII dongle and run Torque Pro, then when you want directions you can exit Torque Pro and open up the navigation software.

More on this later. I'll buy first, plan later :Grin:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:Need Pics:

:Smile:

13. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oops, I'll get some pictures up when the bits arrive, all will be well documented. For now I will add 3 slightly boring photos of the dashboard giving an idea where things will be going. I have 2 very different plans on how to mount it, but this is roughly where it will be going. (p.s. excuse the dusty interior, I will clean it one day, just being lazy for now :Tongue:)

Hopefully this will do for now, the next part will be about fitting the Yatour (probably covered a few times before) and setting up the software side of the phone, i.e. stripping the software back to basics to remove any traces of it being a phone and all the useless bundled junk that comes with it.

Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  14. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Nice one Jim, look forward to further updates.