ICE & HFT Aftermarket head unit questions...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Monday 23rd Feb, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Some of you will have doubtless seen my other thread about my faulty DVD-ROM/screen.

It got me thinking that maybe I'd be better off saving up the money for a new head unit rather than repairing an 11+ year old one.

I've seen that you can get those Chinese head units that are a direct fit but I don't like the look of them (no offence to anyone that has one) plus the 'D' and 'P' buttons are on the wrong sides!

I have, however, noticed that you can get a double-DIN fascia that has some HVAC controls on it. I have some of questions I'm hoping you guys might know the answers to?

1. If I get that fascia, can I fit any double-DIN head unit to the car?
    2. I'm thinking of getting the Pioneer SPH-DA120. Will that work OK with the 'premium' sound system speakers fitted to my car? Just wondered as I understand the existing setup has an amp (I presume tucked behind the TFT screen somewhere).
    3. Can I use the existing GPS antenna with any head unit?

Thanks guys :Smile:

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    There's a few threads covering the aftermarket head unit options if you have a search about :Smile:

The only known issues with these are that they don't work well on the diesels. Members tend to have mixed opinions on them mind:

ICE & HFT - Don't look it's awful

Amen brother :judge: The features don't look too bad, there's a couple of videos on YouTube.

Yes you can, but there's also an OEM option which doesn't replace the head unit and adds a double DIN fasica underneath the stock head unit too, see the thread above.

@accordk24 might be able to input on this, it's his day job.

I believe most of these are manufacturer specific, as in for a particular head unit you need to use that manufacturer's optional GPS kit. I could be wrong though!

Galgo likes this.
  3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply Leo :Smile:

I did have a search before I made this thread and only saw posts relating to the Chinese head units or the fascias. Also checked out YouTube, yeah they do have some nice features but one thing I didn't like is how some of the menu options were in Chinese (and the owners couldn't figure out a way to change the language). Also - Windows CE... :What:

The OE double-din fascia underneath the stock head unit is a good call but probably useless for sat-nav purposes? Argh... I think I need to have a good think about all this and review my options. I just thought it's probably not a good idea to spend £140 to (possibly) fix something that isn't really suited to the needs of today's drivers to be honest. Hmm...

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I have seen Android versions, but yes screw Windows CE, royally :Smile:

It's a tough one and lots of people have been in this situation, my issue personally is that the Double DIN head unit replacement looks a little naff too, but I have been tempted myself as the stock head unit (even my Facelift) is dated and a little redundant. It's even worse on the PFL where the maps aren't as up to date.

5. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah mine is a PFL. That's the thing; even if I did get my Navi system working, the maps will be several years out of date - even if I buy the latest one from Navteq or Honda, the maps will be around four years old.

I would love to find some way of hacking the system so I could use a double-DIN head unit in place of the existing TFT screen, yet still retain the original HVAC controls. I've seen some teardown photos on some Russian Accord website and I think it's beyond the realms of my technical knowledge!

I know what you mean about the style of the aftermarket HVAC controls and double-DIN slot. Painting, hydro-dipping or whatever is one option. But you can't do much about the button style, placement or LCD display of it I don't think. This is one of those times where I wished I knew more about electronics and had more confidence with taking things apart on my car! :Laughing:

6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
  7. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It looks great but $995! Bit out of my price range lol

8. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    I installed single din in mine, very happy that don't have to use some audio input adapters with stock unit.
    20141028_170020.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How is it to operate @nemiers ?

It looks really low down. Do you steering whee controls work with it ?

10. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    @SpeedyGee For me it is easy to operate as I have all songs just playing in random mode, easy to skip song as stereo is almost same height as shifter.
    Steering controls are not connected as it needs some modding to be done. As I understand some resistor in steering control should be removed or some signal adapted has to be made. Havent found time to do that.

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I've used the Pioneer-SPH-DA110, and though it worked well for what it did, I found it very limiting, especially as I don't have an iPhone *spit* or iPod *spit*. That left me with a 7inch touchscreen radio. Though I was able to connect my Android phone to the unit (which worked quite well, and I wrote some guides on it), it was a bit of a hassle. One thing that also irritated me with the AppRadio part of the SPH range was how few apps there were. The SPH-DA120 has AUX in, which is handy if you have a media player that is not made by Apple.

Additionally, you normally have to buy a cable connection kit to use your Apple / Android devices with the SPH range. I DO however, like that they come with the GPS Antenna (at least the DA110 did).

I currently have the Pioneer AVH-X2700BT which I absolutely love. it is a 'low end' spec. of the latest AVH range, but that is because it is only temporary until Pioneer releases their AVH-X models that support Android Auto, as this will basically give me the same functionality I had with the DA110, but with only one USB cable.

If you want a sort of 'PC-in-a-car', you may want to look into the Parrot Android Smart. Alternatively, you can try one of the cheap chinese Windows 8 based double din stereos (tonnes of them on eBay).

Kenwood also has some nice looking units that allow connectivity with phones / media players.

As mentioned above, it will be unlikely you can use the existing GPS antenna with a 3rd party head unit. if you get the fascia you linked, you should be able to use most double din head units with it.
    - - - Updated - - -
    One more thing - if you are getting the DA120 - double check it supports the version of iOS on your phone / media player if you are planning on using an Apple device with it.

Galgo likes this.
  12. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    Only thing that looks good in accord is stock navi unit.
    For me best solution would be fitting some 7-7.85 (dependin on stock lcds size) inch tablet replacing stock LCD,
    and get controls on screen with some arduino and android app.
    For people who work with arduino it could be not so hard to do.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've had a similar project in the back of my mind for a long time @nemiers :Smile:

14. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your review. I think for me the important thing is I can use Spotify without needing to press buttons on my iPhone to change tracks or whatever, which is what this head unit seems to offer. Not sure I'd use the text message bit, but might use the handsfree facility if I needed to make/receive a call.

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    @Galgo - if the main reason you want the SPH-DA120 is to use it with your Apple device, then I still have my SPH-DA110 sitting in my cupboard, doing nothing. If you can check whether it supports your iPhone / iPod *spit spit*, and it does then I'm happy for you to have it at a vastly discounted price.. I don't think I have the cable kit for connecting it to Apple devices, so you may need to buy that. Note that the DA110 does NOT support Apple CarPlay (I don't think).

16. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks I'll bear your head unit in mind. :Smile: