General Aftermarket steering wheel keeping cruise control?

Discussion in '5th Generation (1994-1997) [Rover 600, Isuzu Aska]' started by Ricki_5thGenCoupe, Saturday 21st Feb, 2015.

1. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland Richard Belfast
    Hey everyone

the steering wheel in my coupe just isn't up to scratch and altho in good condition for me personally isn't comfortable to control.

Im going for an aftermarket steering wheel but don't want to loose the cruise control features, as its mere 2 buttons I'm assuming i could salvage the wiring from the buttons and make a custom bracket to have these fit the new steering wheel?

has anyone any views/opinions on this or even any experience?

many thanks in advance

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Which steering wheel are you thinking of fitting ?

It said steering wheel doesn't have the buttons for cruise control, it then won't have the wiring available inside it either. So it's not just a mount that you would need.

Will the steering wheel from a normal Accord fit ? One with cruise controls on it already.

Ricki_5thGenCoupe likes this.
  3. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was planning on an aftermarket deep one and no it dosent have the buttons. I was thinking that it would be taking frm the exsisiting place (not sure if its on the steering wheel or the collum the wheel is on) and a custom bracket made to rehome it or even relocatw the bottons to the door plastic below the window buttons.

Need the quick release steerig wheel look but don't want rid of cruise control haha!

Being greedy! :Tongue:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd say the best way to achieve maintaining cruise control would be to literally reroute the wiring and make custom buttons on the dash somewhere, that way you can fit whatever wheel you want without worrying about it.

Ricki_5thGenCoupe likes this.
  5. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes that does sound like a great plan, somwhere on the armrest would be perfect IMO as its suites the postition i "relax" in when driving.

Probably a better idea overall as it wudnt effect the quick release function

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's not a bad idea at all, be easy to route the wires neatly under the centre console.

7. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Only potential problems i can see is getting the wiring and buttons off the exsisting location (although this may be easy as i havent properly looked at it yet) and getting the new buttons a solid mounting place in the armrest

Ohh how I've missed car tinkering!

SpeedyGee likes this.